This May Be The Only Post I Make Here...

Hi, my name is sidney. I'm a 24 year old college senior at wsu, I'm also the shop manager at a quick-oil change chain location. I usually enjoy video games, outdoor activities, and working on my car (2007 eclipse). I have a girlfriend of five years.

This morning, attempting to get dressed, it hit me. I couldn't find a single clean sock in my apartment, I was knocking over pepsi cans on my dresser, pulling up all the dirty clothes on the floor, digging through the dryer, and then it hit me; I hadn't done my laundry for three weeks. Before that it had been two, before that it had been about two and a half. I also haven't been keeping up with my studies, and this has been going on for at least a year. When I'm home I curl up in bed and sleep. As a result me academics and home are a mess. I haven't touched my ps3 in a week, my car sits neglected and dirty (I used to hand wash it every week weather permitting), and *ahem* encounters with my lady friend have been few and far between.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sad, just highly, highly apathetic, and kinda dull. I've been considering giving up on a degree, even though I only need three classes to get it, just because I don't feel I can study. I knew I was behind in calculus, so I planned on going in and studying, but instead of doing the work, I just sat there staring at my book. It's not that I didn't want to do hard work, I know how rewarding it is to get good grades (I was valedictorian in high school!), I just am not motivated.

I aimlessly googled "not sad, just apathic" and it brought me to an existing post. I read it, read the responses, reread the responses, and something clicked in the back of my noodle. I was reading my story from someone else, and here were people offering suggestions, and help! I want to thank you guys for that.

After I read that, and some other extensive googling I went to the vitamin shoppe and picked up some st. John's wort, B12, and some D3. The guy who rang me out look at the bottles, and also suggested something out of the B-section called biotin, so I grabbed that to. Hopefully things start picking up, eh? Thanks guys.

Sent from my phone, using my thumbs.

Thanks for posting, glad you stepped by. Sometimes there are reasons for how you feel, like something happening that you never ever dreamed would take place. A kind of emotional shock etc, that causes one to lose interest all of a sudden. Sometimes people get over it soon, other times they need help, however I would encourage you to explore possible reasons and coping techniques before taking meds, I don't mean that the vitamins etc are not helpful, they would only do good, what I do mean is psychotropic medication.

Take care

The Friend.

Welcome to the forum Sidney. There are lots of supportive people here. Some are in the questioning stages about whether they are depressed, some in the middle of their deepest depression, others on the road to recovery. The beauty of a peer to peer support forum is that you do get responses from people who are there and have been there. Yhey can tell you what they did to survive. How they coped, moved toward healing etc. It is always a good thing to hear from those that no longer need the forum for support, but can offer it because they are in a place emotionally to do so. So whether you are in your apathetic stage or doing well, we still consider you a part of our community.

Hey Sidney!

I hope it's not your only post here either :D. You sound like a clever and caring guy. The thing that's hard with depression is losing interest and motivation, in this world where we are supposed to be competitive and performing at a high level. I think there's always some good reason why to be depressed and it's important to take note of these feelings too and try to understand what causes it. I've gotten a long way with my depression on these forums. So many things have crystallized to me and I understand how I developed depression. Though sometimes all you need is a helping hand and someone who listens to you and comforts you.

This is a good community with supportive people. Welcome!

Hey there!

I hope you will continue to visit us! I think the supplements you got are a good idea. I take Biotin myself!

I'm glad you are taking steps to feel better and get yourself back on track. Visiting here and talking to others will help also.

Welcome!