Looking For Advice!

Hi all.. this is my first post!! :) Wasn't sure where else to put this.

I've been lurking on this awesome site for a few months now. It really helps to see other people share their stories and see I can get better too :)

I've struggled with depression beginning as a teenager and now as a young adult. It was like I didn't get the guide book to Life. It wasn't until I hit rock bottom and wanted to die that I realized my limited coping skills CLEARLY weren't working. I started therapy and read an amazing book by Dr. David Burns called Feeling Good. Seriously saved my life.

Anywho, it's only been 4 months since I sought medical attention. I started therapy which I love. That's when I found out I have ADHD which explained some of my hardships growing up. I take Effexor everyday for my depression symptoms but its also worked wonders on my anxiety.

I still have some days I wake up and feel like someone turned my mood down way low. I'm working on stringing those good days together.

I was wondering what other people do to build their self esteem. Somewhere in my life I had it engrained in me to be self-degredating and it's a very hard habit to shake.

Well hello Cristi89 and welcome to Depression Forums! I am glad to know you find this site helpful and I'm pretty sure other members are delighted to hear it too :) It's absolutely great you got into therapy and find it meaningful. I am struggling with limited coping skills as well but as I am not able to get into therapy yet due to several different factors, I've resorted to self-help books, seeing a psychologist in a public health center, this wonderful site and, unfortunately, some very unhealthy coping methods as well.

Building a self-esteem is an important yet complex issue. I think most of us struggle with it more or less. If you wish, you could perhaps start a thread about it here, I think Depression Central would be a good forum to do so.

In case you'd like to ask something concerning this site, please never hesitate to PM a Support Staff member, a Moderator or Administrator. We will certainly be more than happy to help any member here! Please make yourself at home and feel free to talk to us more. Hope to read more of your posts!

Edited by NorthernStar

What types of things do you have an interest in? Is there a way you can get involved somehow with some, or start with one of those things? Finding success in a certain thing we have interest in might help. Finding somewhere in the community around you to help someone or a group out often helps too. I know that sounds odd maybe, but I have always found that at times when I am struggling---helping someone else out blesses me often more than it does that person.

Thanks for the responses :)

I actually am in the process of having an awful day. So that's quite a burden. I just don't have that conviction things will get better and its all gonna be worth it. Most days I'm fine and hopeful (that took time and effort) but days like today come and I just think I'm supposed to die. Which is totally illogical obviously.

Thanks for the advice! Actually I love animals... for over a year now I volunteer at an animal shelter. I'm good at it, it's rewarding and fulfilling. The only thing is, I'm also trying to get a job in the animal care field (I'm unemployed) so being told no after so many job interviews just knocks me down every time. That's actually why I'm feeling pretty crappy today. It's my passion, so I figure since it means so much to me, it makes sense a setback won't feel very good.

:( Im sorry you are having a bad day. However, hearing you say "totally illogical obviously" makes me feel better tho too. You have a better head on your shoulders than you give yourself credit for I think. Life has worth....beautiful worth. Its the crappy days that make our thought processes derail. It's hard to get out of that cycle of thinking. Keep looking for those things that you are passionate about. I think thats where anyone is most happy.

Thank you :)

Its a work in progress. When I don't fall into my black hole, I realize I have an illness that will take time and a team effort to recover from. i just have to keep climbing out until that hole gets filled up!

It's just really hard to stay tough and positive. Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself to get a job NOW when really I need to focus on me. I thought I was ready but maybe I'm not.

Well for whatever a strangers opinion is worth I think everyone is a work in progress indeed. No one ever "arrives" at a spot where they no longer have things to work on. Having a job in a field you enjoy would probably be very good for you. (productivity is high on my list of things I need to be happy...so I would say that!LOL) The timing just isnt right perhaps. Keep searching...