Sign in to follow this  
Blaze95

Question About Supplements

Hey all, I'll keep this nice and brief. Do supplements take many weeks to kick in like antidepressants do? I am currently taking fish-oil tablets, vitamin D tablets, and magnesium tablets. Would love to hear what others are taking also!

That's a good combination, can't really go wrong with this except maybe for the magnesium that causes for me renal problems randomly for no reason -_-

I would had maybe once in a while E vitamin and iron (usually combined with folic acid) but especially zinc! Most of people have a mild to moderate zinc deficency. I advise no more than 15mg as your body can't process more and too much means more cancer probability (prostate if you're a man)

I also take once in a while ginseng/ginkgo combination (but be careful because ginkgo has interaction with SSRI I think), turmeric (anticancer, but too much causes upset stomach), green tea extract (good for coffee replacement, anticancer)

You can also take niacin and other b vitamin complex, I usually don't because with a good diet you don't really need it.

Apart all I've listed plus your supplements I can't think of anything else, as my experience dictates that you seriously don't need more than all of this if you're living normally (and by normally I mean don't need extra energy at work/don't do excessive fitness)

Also if you like the taste of it (I really hate it) you can try goji berries (there are extracts too). But it can be expensive. Rhodiola rosea isn't bad too, very good if you feel fatigue for no reason. But the best maybe, only reserved for the wealthy though, is putting saffron in your appropriate meals. Great taste, and a still studied anti depressant effect, but extremely expensive for a spice (you don't need much though)

Edited by Nizou

Can anyone suggest any other supplements apart from the one's that I listed that I could take?
And just to refer to the original question, do supplements take weeks to kick in like antidepressants do? Roughly the same, longer, shorter?

Supplements shouldn't take long. In fact I know taking magnesium will help prevent leg cramps and should THAT same day you take it.

I am taking a magnesium/calcium/zinc combo vitamin 2-3 times a day because I get leg cramps ALL the time at night-- they wake me up. And I am taking Xanax at night. 1 mg. I take wellbutrin twice a day at 100 mg each. I also take one iron tablet, slow fe and a b-12. AND every other day I take a Zyretc D for allergies, but not every day because they cost too much IMO. I feel like I am ALWAYS taking something... because I usually spread some of them out. Like in the morning I take a handful-- the iron, magnesium/calcium/zinc, B-12 and fish oil. (I forgot about fish oil) and allergy if that is the day I am taking it. Then a few hours later I take a wellbutrin. Then in the late afternoon I take another wellbutrin and an hour later I take another magnesium/caclium/zinc.

Before bed I take 1 mg of Xanax and Hylands Leg Cramps (all natural) I take THREE of those. I am afraid of leg cramps waking me up.