HI every one

Im a rather newer member of DF and wanted to share my thoughts on this important topic. I recently found out i've had depression for many years (since childhood) . Finding this ofcourse was no fun. When i was going through my roughest/most dangerous bouts, it was God who words i used to rescue myself from darkness. I repeated His praises to give my mind some sense of much needed peace/stability. It was Him who i would turn to when i felt extra lonely. I don't know if im the best person of my faith or not. Many a times after getting a little better, i would just forget about .... or would not have enough time in my busy day to praise Him. He helped me , listened and was there. I wish to be a better servant of The One who helped.

Depression is a might beast... to slay i believe we need an unshakable faith, persistance and help of the Almighty

these are my thoughts/beliefs on subject of depression and religion. Feel free to share yours.

unawaredepressed

Hi unawaredepressed,

I'm glad to hear that your faith is helping you find peace and stability. Maybe you had to go through the Dark Night of the Soul. Often it is suffering that brings people closer to God. And in happy times it is easy to forget about God. When you are desperate, the only thing you can do is cling to God.

I also thought that I needed this depression to feel closer to God. That I would somehow turn to God more. However, recently I actually got angry at God for letting me suffer like that and I believed it was God's will for me to suffer. Then in my depressed state I couldn't feel anymore and I also couldn't feel love for God anymore.

But now that I'm getting treatment, I feel much closer to God again because I can feel more love.

In my adolescence, I was already suffering from depression. I was all alone and I had nobody to turn to, no family or friends. My parents were emotionally unavailable for me. But This experience brought me closer to God, because during that time, I had only God to turn to.

Now I know what it is like to suffer, to be abandoned, to be alone, and I can feel more compassion for other people and I'm learning not to judge anyone.

Hi unawaredepressed

Im also glad that your faith in God is helping you find peace. Im glad that God was able to rescue from the darkness. Repeating his praises sounds like a fine way to bring quietness and peace to your mind. God is always there for us in times of trouble and times of calm waiting patiently willing to listens to our troubles and joys. When I get busy I make sure that I program into my day an hour or so to talk to God in prayer and I feel privileged to be able to share this special time with Him. I believe I am a stronger person today because of my faith in God. And even with depression on dark days he brings into my life, light and love that is always there, same as it is there available for you and the strength to get through another day.

That is a very good point. When we think about prayer, it's important to understand that there are many forms of prayer -- two among them being prayer of petition and prayer of thanksgiving (see, e.g. Psalms).

It's very tempting to rely exclusively on prayer of petition to deepen our relationship with God, and to forget that it is equally important to give thanks as well.