Sign in to follow this  
Rainbowstar

When You Are In A Good Mood, Do You See Life Differently?

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that when I am depressed, my view of life is very negative and I am suicidal. When I am in a positive mood, my view of life is very different and life becomes positive, pleasant and worth living.

I am curious to know whether this happens to other members?

If it does happen to other members, this provides hope to suicidal people who believe completely that life is not worth living.

Thank you for contributing to the discussion. I appreciate it!

Hi Rainbowstar, you are right. in fact this negative view of everything is a symptom of depression that is actually the main target for the cognitive part of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). In the theory of CBT there is this thing called Beck's cognitive triad which consists of (negative views of) the self, the world/environment and the future. the cognitive part of CBT is directed at recognizing these negative beliefs, their roots and developing a more objective/positive perspective. Research shows, quite nicely from a methodological point of view, that changing these beliefs, leads to remission of also the other symptoms of depression (i.e. anhedonia, loss of energy, worthlessness etc.,

Definitely. My view of the world, people, relationships is massively influenced by my mood. I seem to cycle quite quickly into and out of depression these days and it's almost (almost) comical how one day I can be feeling like there's no hope, life is so bleak, etc and then two days later I'll be fairly jolly!

Sometimes my whole persepective changes the rare times I'm feeling good, but other times when I feel good my perspective doesn't really change, I still think this word & life are as lonely, awful, rotten & stupid as ever, but the fact just doesn't bother me or get me feeling sad.

No question. And, others can see it in me as well. The worst part is that I really don't know from one day to the next how my mood will change.

Mine really doesn't change at all regardless of mood. When I'm in a good mood, I still have the same negative views on the world, people, myself, etc. I'm also still suicidal regardless of mood.

The only difference is in how I express and react to these thoughts. When I'm in a bad mood, they're all I can think about; but when I'm in a good mood, I can sort of put them on the back-burner, so to speak, and not focus on them as much. When I'm in a bad mood, my grievances with life become an all-consuming problem; but in a good mood, I see things in a "life is horrible, but there's now't I can do about it so whatever" kind of way. At no point do I ever become optimistic.

In a good mood, I'm much more wont to make sarcastic jokes about my desire to die, or my self-hate, or whatever else depresses me; but in a bad mood, I see everything as deadly serious and I avoid talking about it altogether.

So my good moods are still not particularly healthy, but it's the best I've got.

Edited by Tacit Blue

Yes, it definitely happens with me. Actually, such change is how I know that I have a period of clarity. When I am relatively sane, I do not see my situation as hopeless, I think that whatever I am doing has a decent chance to succeed, and that whatever saddens me is temporary.

Most of the times, however, I view the situation as hopeless and myself as hopeless.

This is definitely true. I couple weeks ago I had a moment of clarity. I assumed my meds had kicked in. I felt like everything wasn't hopeless. Like maybe I did have control and that things would get better. Needless to say it didn't last long. It's funny before I started paying attention to my moods, I didn't how much depression was affecting me. Now I can feel when the depression is coming on, although as of right now I don't know how to stop it, if there is a way. Tonight I seem to be having a moment of clarity. I just hope it lasts this time.

Mine really doesn't change at all regardless of mood. When I'm in a good mood, I still have the same negative views on the world, people, myself, etc. I'm also still suicidal regardless of mood.

The only difference is in how I express and react to these thoughts. When I'm in a bad mood, they're all I can think about; but when I'm in a good mood, I can sort of put them on the back-burner, so to speak, and not focus on them as much. When I'm in a bad mood, my grievances with life become an all-consuming problem; but in a good mood, I see things in a "life is horrible, but there's now't I can do about it so whatever" kind of way. At no point do I ever become optimistic.

In a good mood, I'm much more wont to make sarcastic jokes about my desire to die, or my self-hate, or whatever else depresses me; but in a bad mood, I see everything as deadly serious and I avoid talking about it altogether.

So my good moods are still not particularly healthy, but it's the best I've got.

Hi TacitBlue,

That is interesting. Do you generally have a pessimistic view of life?

This is definitely true. I couple weeks ago I had a moment of clarity. I assumed my meds had kicked in. I felt like everything wasn't hopeless. Like maybe I did have control and that things would get better. Needless to say it didn't last long. It's funny before I started paying attention to my moods, I didn't how much depression was affecting me. Now I can feel when the depression is coming on, although as of right now I don't know how to stop it, if there is a way. Tonight I seem to be having a moment of clarity. I just hope it lasts this time.

Hi Davey118,

That is great news! The fact, that you have moments of clarity and good moods means that when you feel down, you can recall the times, when you felt good and that it is possible to be in a good mood =).

Lately I have been severly depressed, never been this bad before. I am finding that any glimmer of hope, like going to my psych appointment and talking with her, makes me feel somewhat ok but then the littlest thing will set me off and it wrecks me for the rest of the day and usually I just go sleep and feel despair.

Is anyone else this touchy? I am constantly questioning my life and feel guilty for just about everything.

As it happens, my moments of clarity have little to do with mood itself. I might feel bad but not hopeless, or have fun in the moment but dread tomorrow. The first is clarity, the second is... not.

Having those moments helped me to figure out that I might have depression - that my reaction is in no way a "natural" response to my own faults and circumstances. But, unfortunately, it does little to help while I am depressed. As little as a day after the last moment of clarity, I remember,intellectually, that it has been, but cannot recall what was it like to be there.

Yes and no. No and Yes. Do you want a novel or a trilogy? I'll try and keep it short!!!

If I am down or getting to that point where I might need actually speak to someone about feelings/thoughts I can be really, really, really, really sensitive, touchy and fall down even more or shut the world very abruptly. It takes a lot of focus to get myself out of it, a freakin lot of focus. Slowly getting better at it if I can focus on something from one of my good times.

When I am in a good mood I can generally take a knock and keep moving forward. Like the other day getting a 'legal action' letter, I stayed focused and within an hour had it sorted and a call from an area manager (supposedly) apologising like crazy.

Had i been down I probably would have gone to bed and shut the world out, isolated myself for a couple of days, maybe hid in the background on here and just been meh at best, unless I grabbed onto something positive and used it. Sorta like tonight, I've struggled all day to keep hold of positive things as I've slowly been sliding down the last few days. Was holding onto the idea the dog would sit at my feet to have something with heart beat near me but it won't come within 5 meters of me for some reason. Running out of positive things to grab onto as I have to get through work tomorrow before I can shut myself away.

Like some of the people here...my answer would be no. I have the same world view no matter what mood I'm in. The only real difference is how much I think about it. If I'm in a good mood, then I tend to be able to ignore those thoughts a little. If I'm not, then you can guess. Moods can't really convince me that life is pleasant and worth living, and the world is a better and brighter place or anything. I still see life and everything around me as being just as stupid as ever. *shrug*