I am having a lot of trouble with my Sister since my depression started. One day I overheard her saying that I was attention seeking and I got very angry. I told her if she thought that she incredibly ignorant. Since that day I have only seen her once. I have gone about asking her to help the wrong way which I have apologised for. My Mum just told me that she doesn't think she'll come home again and that she thinks that I'm taking all of Mum's attention. I think she's incredibly childish and selfish.

A few years ago now she broke her leg and I looked after while she could barely move and now I need her help she's run away.

I don't know what I can do. She doesn't seem to even want to make an effort to understand. It's very sad if this causes me to lose my only Sister but maybe she's just not worth it.

(((Lise)))

So sorry to hear your sister is not able to relate to you. As unfortunate as it is, sometimes even our closest people can be surprisingly ignorant. Also many people have still a hard time to understand that depression IS a very real disease and can be fatal at worst if not treated properly.

Are you seeing a therapist or any other mental health professional at the moment? If so, you could ask if he/she could give a some kind of presentation about depression to your sister. Some people may become enlightened only when they hear facts from a professional. Also there should be pamphlets and websites targeted to people whose loved ones are suffering from depression.

I hope your sister would calm down a bit and start trying to look things from your perspective too. However, in case it doesn't happen, then please don't ever blame yourself! You didn't choose to become depressed. Nobody wants to have such a debilitating illness just for the sake of seeking attention. Please be kind to yourself and don't hesitate to talk to us more, in case you meet no compassion whatsoever from your sis. Last but not least, here's some cyber hugs to you: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I have talked to my therapist about it and she says the same thing as my Mum. I need to forget about her until I'm better. She's not capable of helping. She's run away because of it. She did it when my Dad was sick, too.

• 1 month later...

Gosh Lise, I'm so sad to hear about the strain on your relationship with your sister. I have yet to tell my sister that I'm dealing with bipolar disorder. She's always been in denial about the state of mental health in our family and in our family lineage so I wouldn't be surprised if she would resist trying to understand my situation. As you mentioned about your sister, my sister also runs away from difficult situations such as illness and death. One day she made a post to her Facebook page saying that the meds that are prescribed for depression are useless and have been developed by pharmaceutical companies just make money. She said that the the idea that dysfunctioning brain chemcals can lead to depression is a lie. She also said the depression could be cured by diet, positive thinking and prayer (no oftense intended to those who pray. Personally I believe that prayer is an important component to healing of any kind) Anyway, I just rolled my eyes when I read what she wrote. I figure that if she chooses to remain ignorant then that's her burden to bear. I'm not going to shake up my serenity by trying to educate someone who is too closed-minded to be teachable. She has her life and I have mine. I continue to pray that both she and I will become compassionate as God has called us to be. I hope things work out for you. In the meantime, I also hope you'll always remember that taking care of yourself as best as you can is the priority and that getting healthy is the the most important thing of all.

That's a very nice way to see your relationship with your Sister. I could probably take something from it.

I haven't seen in my Sister in quite a while now. I'm scared to see her but I'm not quite sure why.