Sign in to follow this  
Subliminal

Switching From: Ssri ----> 5-Htp/natural Alternatives

Please give me some advice on switching from my Faverin/Fluvoxamine/Luvox

to 5-HTP.

There have already been 2 times in my life when I have tried to decrease and cut down on SSRI's and the withdrawal was/is horrible.

BUT at those times, i was still younger and didn't know about Natural Alternatives.

Am now planning to buy 5-htp but am concerned about the whole "relapse" stuff happening as i cut down.. Plus, i've read about the serotonin syndrome thing and i DO NOT want for that - with all the troubles/depression i am already having.

Am applying for a part-time job so i can slowly manage this med-switching period, as I cannot afford to f%^& up and become depressed with a full-time job Again (when stopping meds/weaning off) and then stop work - which had happened one of the two times i mentioned above.

• So please advise me - at what point is it "Safe" to start taking the 5-htp?
  • Do I first have to completely flush allll of the SSRI out, before i start 5-htp.. or is it O-K to start on it once I am on a low dosage of Luvox (like when I was previously switching to Prozac, and I could slowly increase the Prozac while taking a Low dosage of Luvox during the switch period)?

Thank you so much for your time/responses!

Depends what dose of Luvox you are currently taking and for how long

If its a high dose it will need to be tappered all the way down to the lowest dose (the slower the better), say for example -25mg every 4-5 days until u reach 25mg. then you can think about 5HTP

If its a low dose you can tapper much faster , and a 2-3 day washout period should guarantee its safe. even though its probably safe the next day , its good to be cautious.

Edited by madd0ctor

Wut? yea i know the wash-out period is fast... about 12hrs+,

but 2-3 days, and then jump into 5-htp? isn't that a little too quick... as in, we already need about 2 weeks roughly for 75mg, then 1 to 2 weeks for 50mg, before going down to 25mg

i'm at 50mg now btw

anyway, i wanted to hear from people who've taken Fluvoxamine, before. Hve you?

Thanks a lot for your response, i appreciate it :)

I just wanted to ensure that if, in case I did move into 5-htp after a week of already thru the end of the weaning process; the 1 week was not "too short" and i'd end up having all sorts of s**** for it - but instead supposedly needed at least 2 or 3 weeks to really not have any in the system.

Pardon the over-enthused description..lol, didn't sleep the whole night cos of Ocd and thinking about this so much the past month. My life is at stake

Hi buddy , i understand completely about the OCD lol if its not one thing its the other

why is your life at stake:

Fluvoxamine , assuming a half life of about 15 hours , so 15 * 5 = 75 hours about 3 days full washout

nope never taken Fluvoxamine , its the only SSRI i haven't tried

hope this helps

Edited by madd0ctor

alright thanks. oh, pardon me... i meant life at stake as in, the general moving on in life as humans. not something dark. but jus difficult challenges in general.

Thanks for your quick responses. i really appreciate them @mmadd0ctor . hopefully will hear frm others too. I'll take this into consideration as i do more research..

*can't really ask my doctor cos under the law, he's not allowed to advice patients on medications that he does not prescribe, and natural supplements are definitely not something that psychiatrists prescribe lol.

hmmm.. need to sleep now! up for almost 24hrs o.O

I was put on 5htp and an SnRI together by a doctor without any problems they can be safely taken together but ts always best under medical supervision.

I was put on 5htp and an SnRI together by a doctor without any problems they can be safely taken together but ts always best under medical supervision.

SNRI's are not SSRI's.

Definitely depends on the unique condition specifically for a doctor to decide on that.

However, I would say that if you looked up SSRI + 5-htp, you'll see the adverse reactions.

And to reiterate, SNRI's are not SSRI's. Please be safe and make sure not to mix these up, to anyone reading these.

SNRIs are not SSRIs, but they generally affect serotonin just as much as SSRIs do (with the possible exception of Savella), so from the point of view of 5-HTP interaction there isn't much difference. Either way, you need to be careful and I don't have any real advice on switching, not something I've looked into.

Edit: Also weird for a doctor to suggest 5-HTP, haven't heard of any doing that. Some in the UK do suggest/prescribe tryptophan since that comes in prescription-grade versions.

Edited by Velthir

Your right it was Tryptophan Velthir but I took over the counter 5htp at another time and was told that was fine.

Subliminal all drugs can interect just because an interaction is possible it doesn't mean it will happen it just means you have to watch out for it. Example I took Effexor with Remeron, put that in an interaction checker it comes out as a major interaction. I had no problems taking it. Every person is different.

SNRIs are not SSRIs, but they generally affect serotonin just as much as SSRIs do (with the possible exception of Savella), so from the point of view of 5-HTP interaction there isn't much difference. Either way, you need to be careful and I don't have any real advice on switching, not something I've looked into.

Edit: Also weird for a doctor to suggest 5-HTP, haven't heard of any doing that. Some in the UK do suggest/prescribe tryptophan since that comes in prescription-grade versions.

Yea, i've heard of Tryptophan. I think it's the country that varies - whether or not they prescribe Tryptophan, which i have heard of.

it's for Ocd i'm treating, so maybe my Dr felt that that wasn't the "proper" treatment for Ocd.

However I want to just stop SSRI's altogether and if possible don't even take 5-htp, but im thinking i might need an "Aid" along the way so 5-htp is the closest.

I don't want to try SJW.

Your right it was Tryptophan Velthir but I took over the counter 5htp at another time and was told that was fine.

Subliminal all drugs can interect just because an interaction is possible it doesn't mean it will happen it just means you have to watch out for it. Example I took Effexor with Remeron, put that in an interaction checker it comes out as a major interaction. I had no problems taking it. Every person is different.

Yes you're correct on the interactions and they're simply indications.

However, I can't afford to have to watch out for those right now - but the past 2 days having lowered my dosage of Faverin (Luvox) to 25mg... I'm actually feeling more energy now (which i have ALWAYS blamed on the medication and told my doctor but he says it's the Ocd) although i dont know whether or when (if any) depression might strike with the lowered dosage at a longer period than just a couple of days.

Case in point, i do know that i have more energy when I lower my dosage - but from my past 2 experiences 2+ years back, i fell into greater depression when decreasing and lowering dosages.

Now, I'm actually not feeling so much of that, partly cos im older and more determined to set my life straight, even though i'd say i've been "run down" by this condition (Depression / Ocd) - i'd say it's Maturity and the will to change, or also the Need To.

Bless my soul for such supportive parents and family.

Generally, i am taking the "risk" for the sake of. So now i'm taking another "support" direction, currently in the hope of some help from 5-htp.. just another course in progress, and i Appreciate all your responses here as I post to get feedback/ideas.

Update 28th Feb 2013, Thursday

Currently at 25mg Faverin (Luvox), taken every night.

Still contemplating on whether or not to purchase a bottle of 5-Htp as a backup in case i suddenly fall depressed.

Applied part-time with Starbucks because I cannot do office work now - am simply too frustrated with the looks/responses from people whenever I suddenly have to quit the job cos of dumb Ocd/Depression (severe) reasons.

Have yet to receive any call from them.

in hindsight, Faverin/Luvox as ruined most of it for me by making me so ******* sleepy - and i continued with it cos i didnt want to be "overtaken" by Ocd and Ruminations... (being younger) thinking that I should just continue taking it and slowly work on myself.

I was so wrong, because it only made me mad sleepy and weak... but it was the Only option to stick by 'cos NO Other SSRI's worked for me.. I tried them all, even Wellbutrin :((

In My Mind:

Oh God, how will I deal with this if I do get a job and the 5-Htp doesn't work should I need to take something after stopping the SSRI

(you're thinking of too many 'If's' here, relax)

Just keep up at managing the resume, plus exercise and keep things balanced - all in moderation and you'll be fine!

Subliminul there are lots of other options for dealing with your problems if SSRIs don't work, they don't work for me, i take Lyrica and Seroquel for anxiety and depression, there are so many meds out there that you can try, maybe speak to your doctor and discuss other options :-)

Subliminul there are lots of other options for dealing with your problems if SSRIs don't work, they don't work for me, i take Lyrica and Seroquel for anxiety and depression, there are so many meds out there that you can try, maybe speak to your doctor and discuss other options :-)

I think this is the most troublesome w / depression - having already tried n gone thru 8 diff meds over 6 years (aka wasting time in our lives), i still have these (i have heard of) to try and (waste more time) researching before I take them because i dont want more s*** happening in my head i case they dont work for me

P.S. i had a Very terrible experience w/ one med i took and it made me want to commit *******. Made me feel like death

Trust me, i am so frustrated w having to switch n change things to find something. And i dont have any $ to cover me all the time

Urgh

That being said,

Will likely be getting my 5-Htp next week to try.

Any one know if I need to get L-Tyrosine together with 5-Htp to get full benefit?

What about Carbidopa (L-Dopa) - do i REALLY need to buy that to prevent heart valve blockage stuff when taking 5-htp.. (That i read somewhere in another forum's thread posted 3 years ago)

Thanks. To anyone with info!

I totally understand I've been through 15meds!!! Effexor made me crazy I felt extremely ill the whole time I took it, no sleep, terrible weight gain. I'm glad I kept trying new meds because I have found a combo that helps enough for me get by in life! Don't give up something will eventually help :-)

I hope you are doing all this with you're doc's approval... supervision? Stopping meds and trying natural supplements may seem like a option, but the consequences could set you back, or much worse, land you in the hospital!

Internet advise should only be looked upon as nonprofessional opinions and nothing more. We are all unique in what can help or harm oneself.

I know desperation can make us do things that, in hindsight, turn out to be quite harmful in the long-run. Not trying to be coarse as I've been there, done that!

Please consult with your care provider before stopping your meds and trying other options. Also, have you given Anafranil a try in the past? Best med out there for OCD/Depression/Anxiety when all mixed into one basket. Again, just an opinion offered up by me over the internet given the 10 year positive response I had to it for the very symptoms you've described. It was very hard to get on it, took about 2 months to kick in and take hold.

Wishing you all the best.

I totally understand I've been through 15meds!!! Effexor made me crazy I felt extremely ill the whole time I took it, no sleep, terrible weight gain. I'm glad I kept trying new meds because I have found a combo that helps enough for me get by in life! Don't give up something will eventually help :-)

Thanks @ja4445. Effexor/Venlafaxine made me exhausted and fatigued. I'm still researching and reading before taking anything. Thanks for the encouragment

I hope you are doing all this with you're doc's approval... supervision? Stopping meds and trying natural supplements may seem like a option, but the consequences could set you back, or much worse, land you in the hospital!Internet advise should only be looked upon as nonprofessional opinions and nothing more. We are all unique in what can help or harm oneself.I know desperation can make us do things that, in hindsight, turn out to be quite harmful in the long-run. Not trying to be coarse as I've been there, done that!Please consult with your care provider before stopping your meds and trying other options. Also, have you given Anafranil a try in the past? Best med out there for OCD/Depression/Anxiety when all mixed into one basket. Again, just an opinion offered up by me over the internet given the 10 year positive response I had to it for the very symptoms you've described. It was very hard to get on it, took about 2 months to kick in and take hold. Wishing you all the best.

Hi :)

I am moving to 'Natural' options. Yes i've taken Anafranil. Like most people who have taken 8 different meds over the year - i have already tried the "main"/common ones.. i.e. Zoloft/Sertraline.

I am doing my own research and buying some vitamins. Making proper observations before doing so of course, and i speak to the store staff about mixing and interactions (or whether taken on a full or empty stomach) whenever i go to buy any - with the research i have done, already in my head.

Along the way, if need be - will speak to a GP about it all. Because as mentioned earlier in the thread, my psychiatrist has declined to comment on natural supplements as he cannot be liable.

Thanks for you reply and support! :)

yes well will this help for jumpiness and on edge feeling?

I don't know, that's why i've posted this topic.

I haven't taken any 5-htp so far. Apparently 5-htp helps with sleep, but that's all i can tell you

Hi again Subliminal , good to see that this thread is still active.

I Agree , if you can go natural and it works its always gonna be better and hope it works out.

There are so many alternatives out there.

but its not always an option for some , especially in more extreme cases. so not everyone will agree with either of the two aproaches.

L-tryptophan ? anything related to serotonin i guess is worth a try and it should boost the 5htp even further ?

but keep in mind you will probably be getting enough l trypto from a healthy diet.. so unless your current diet isn't providing enough, maybe its a waste . hard to answer this one

L-tyrosine might be more activating , i tried it once (for a few days) at a high dose gave me a bit of a buzz lol but that was it.

Edited by madd0ctor

Hi again Subliminal , good to see that this thread is still active.

I Agree , if you can go natural and it works its always gonna be better and hope it works out.

There are so many alternatives out there.

but its not always an option for some , especially in more extreme cases. so not everyone will agree with either of the two aproaches.

L-tryptophan ? anything related to serotonin i guess is worth a try and it should boost the 5htp even further ?

but keep in mind you will probably be getting enough l trypto from a healthy diet.. so unless your current diet isn't providing enough, maybe its a waste . hard to answer this one

L-tyrosine might be more activating , i tried it once (for a few days) at a high dose gave me a bit of a buzz lol but that was it.

Thanks buddy!

L-tryptophan? what's the difference between that and 5-htp. i don't recall mentioning that (myself) anywhere in this thread.

I am considering (at later stages) adding L-Tyrosine to the mix once the 5-htp situation is settled.

What dosage would you recommend starting out at.. 50mg or 100mg? would you know if I can take 200mg at night - 'cos i dont want to do the whole 3x a day thing.. I am really not in favor of having to "remember" to taking something thru the day from morning to night.

Also, any idea if 50mg is too low a dosage? im still in the balances of deciding which to buy first. the 50mg or the 100mg. if possible i'd like to start at 100mg though..

I don't mind if there's one in the afternoon, but that's about it. The rest, if possible.. Just at night or morning.

Plus i read somewhere it's best not to take B-6 together with 5-htp at the same time (nothing to do with harmful interactions).. cos apparently 5-htp "puts" the serotonin into the brain, and if u take them together - the B-6 won't have time to dissolve the serotonin into smaller chunks or something, and with the 5-htp activating in the system - "putting" larger molecules of serotonin defeats the purpose and it decreases chances of them getting thru blood-brain barrier.

P.S. just watched a soccer match and im also super sleepy after typing this. pardon me if i asked too many questions in one post. hope you guys can help answer, thanks a lot

l-tryptophan gets metabolised into 5HTP, i though i saw it mentioned somewhere here , oh well maybe not.

For once a day dosing you would need a time release type of 5HTP , otherwise the dose has to be split 2-3 times i think

100mg should be once or twice a day according to solgar. some companies don't even have 50mg.

i would advise against taking one single dose of 200mg. unless its has some form of controlled released system.

5HTP as is , needs to be spread out through the day , to maintain a steady level , it doesn't build up much like other ADs

Edited by madd0ctor