Sign in to follow this  
MattMVS7

Chronic Thoughts I Can't Escape

Whenever some negative thought comes to my mind, it lasts all day everyday for months (or even more than a year). It is not just a simple matter of that I need to stop worrying and move on with my life. It's some sort of mental disorder.

I try my absolute best in my life and put all my focus into the things I want to do, but despite me having a clear mind and not actually thinking about the thought that is bothering me, whenever I try to enjoy something, just being aware of the thought prevents me from enjoying things in life. Again, my despair comes from being aware of the thought, not actually thinking the thought.

Me being aware of a negative thought creates this reverse psychology process where my mind is always trying to escape and not think about the thought, which leads to the thought affecting me worse. It's a reverse psychology trap I can't escape and despite all my efforts in being calm with the thought and accepting the thought, it does not help.

Therefore, I was wondering if there is some advice someone could give me to break free from this never-ending process with my thoughts.

I suggest trying mindfulness mediation. read some books from Thich Nhat Hanh, they are very good. Mindfullness is all about bringing your attention to the present moment. They use different techniques, most based on breathing to acheive this. I think you might be surprised about the amount of rest this can bring to the mind.