Sign in to follow this  
will59

Can Apathy-Like Moods Be Permanent?

Sorry to perhaps pollute the forum with a pointless ponder as the use if this for me I think will be minimal.

I think I'm sort of apathetic and I don't really care but I see people around me and they seem to get giddy and genuinely get excited about things and really connect to people and so there's a piece of me that wants more, if it isn't just a false front people put on.

I'm not sad at all, which is nice; I just don't really feel a lot, but I don't really care sort of.

I'm pondering over whether apathy-like stuff can be permanent and whether it could be sustained in a reasonably healthy manor.

Sorry for the mess ^

I hope you all have a good day :-)

I don't believe you have to be sad to really care about other people's happiness. I feel similarly to you. I also wonder if people put on a show and make things seem better that they really are,I mean ,after all,these times we are living in are sad and depressing. It makes you wonder how can anybody be truley happy,whilst it seems our world is crumbling beneath us.

You can have a unipolar mood disorder. . Will it last forever? Probably not. My medication helps me.

But I can remember back in college when I had my first major depressive episode. All of my friends were happy and having a good time and I felt so awkward. Just empty. I wanted to just fade away. I didn't care what happened.

i've gone through spells in my depression where things didn't excite me like they would if i wasn't depressed.

at christmas i didn't really get excited like a non depressed person would.

do you use medication? Some meds such as SSRIs are known to have apathy as a side effect. In that case, if you are satisfied with your level of depression severity, but not wth the level of emotional reactivity you might consider lowering the dosage? (of course if your dr agrees)

Edited by sc2

do you use medication? Some meds such as SSRIs are known to have apathy as a side effect. In that case, if you are satisfied with your level of depression severity, but not wth the level of emotional reactivity you might consider lowering the dosage? (of course if your dr agrees)

Nope, I've never been diagnosed with anything

i've gone through spells in my depression where things didn't excite me like they would if i wasn't depressed.

at christmas i didn't really get excited like a non depressed person would.

I got that at Christmas too, to some extent. It felt like a bit of fun, but certainly nothing special at all (my family makes such a big deal over events)

I don't believe you have to be sad to really care about other people's happiness. I feel similarly to you. I also wonder if people put on a show and make things seem better that they really are,I mean ,after all,these times we are living in are sad and depressing. It makes you wonder how can anybody be truley happy,whilst it seems our world is crumbling beneath us.

I can't often think about tragedies of society; my mind goes blank with something I think is alike to repression... weird. I think that most people must not think about anything to be giddy about everything. Going to a nightclub, as an example, is just so shallow, how can people have fun there?!

I usually experience apathy when I'm in a "down-time" which can be the overwhelming feelings of sadness and self-loathing and then there's the down time of not caring about a single thing.

Down-times aren't permanent but can last quite a while, I think you can find peace again.