Random Thoughts

Seuss

It seems at least, that many people who have never suffered from unipolar major depression or general anxiety disorder do not think these mental illnesses impede or erode freedom. A link between mental disorder and loss of freedom was presented in the Introduction to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV [DSM-IV] when it said that "an important loss of freedom" is one of the possible defining features of mental disorders." *

Very few people would say that an epileptic striking someone during a grand mal seizure was freely willing to hit someone. But many consider depression and anxiety disorders as not having any effect on a person's freedom. Could freedom imply not only the "will" to perform an action but also the "desire" that the will perform it? What is the truth value of the idea that under the influence of mental illness, a person can do something while another part of that same person wishes that he or she was not doing it?

Why is it that those not stricken with these devastating illnesses are the ones who usually judge those who have been stricken?

* "In the DSM-IV, each of the mental disorders is conceptualized as a clinically significant behavior or psychological syndrome or pattern than occurs in an individual and that is associated with present distress [painful symptom(s)]. . . or an important loss of freedom." 1,xxi.

In a court of law, say, if someone was driving and had a seizure of some kind… or a heart attack and during that episode hurt or accidentally killed someone, (because the car became out of control and the person was incapacitated) it would be ruled accidental. the person having the attack, is unable to act, or respond or prevent what is happening .. judgments are usually handed down by trial and error in my opinion, situations have to be presented and documentation and medical evidence must back it up in order for protection or even to become known to the general public. Take for example, Domestic Violence. (or any Violence) we all know what this is and we now have piles of documentation and evidence of the devastation impact it has on the brain and all of the aftermath to what we all know now as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. But that didn't use to be the case. One interesting historical account is about Francine Hughes and the book she wrote in the 1970's called the Burning Bed- (Farrah Fawcett starred in the movie= which was very much like the book) She was the first woman to bring Domestic Violence to the front after she went on trial for setting her husband on fire after years of physical and emotional abuse. Anyway, but aside from all that, I understand what you mean about people who are penciling you in and writing notes and making the judgements about you… I go to a psychiatrist who doesn't have much life experience - outside the college that he recently graduated from- and he does't know the first thing about depression or anxiety -except what he has read in text books…

Edited by SoulSurvivor

God, I hate that I am being so negative and I feel guilty about it. I need to just shut the hell up already!!!

oh Gentle Sun,,

I don't see anything negative about you.. and if you do feel that way… it's just what you are going through right now… we are here for you

Shio :hugs::flowers: Thank you! The misunderstanding was mine, hon. Apparently, I can't read straight when I've been up all night the night before. :blush21: That didn't use to happen when I was younger, at least I think it didn't. Hmmm... Anyway, no probs. Thank you for being sweet about it. :hugs:

No worries 20 :flowers: it happens to me often and i wonder if I'm dyslexic at times.

I must remember to not blurt what's on my mind without thinking about it.

:hugs: dear friend.

for everytime I got a "disgusting" stare or being called ugly or being juded by my appearance I would be a millionaire and wont have to get a job. I go live in a desert island, with many cool animal like tiger and cat and small dog, I could pay my crush to be with me, I would plant coconut, watermelon etc I would be happy

God, I hate that I am being so negative and I feel guilty about it. I need to just shut the hell up already!!!

oh Gentle Sun,,

I don't see anything negative about you.. and if you do feel that way… it's just what you are going through right now… we are here for you

Aw, thanks so much Soul. That made me feel good reading your comment. I get so mad at myself when I get depressed. I feel like I have no right to feel that way and Im just a total brat. Thanks, sweetie!

for everytime I got a "disgusting" stare or being called ugly or being juded by my appearance I would be a millionaire and wont have to get a job. I go live in a desert island, with many cool animal like tiger and cat and small dog, I could pay my crush to be with me, I would plant coconut, watermelon etc I would be happy

You are not ugly, dear! :hugs: You are beautiful inside and out! :flowers:

My thoughts are scattered in this poetry box I made….

I also have to clean my refrigerator … I wonder, why did I 'save' this….

…. I need more coffee...

All the better so that your poetry will come out with great thoughts.....

Pours you another cup of coffee :coffeebreak:

As much as i use to wonder what happiness is or meant. What smiling is or meant ..... hmmmmm it just dawned on me after years of going around not knowing and only pretending.

This morning i stood at the kitchen window looking out and drinking my tea.

I spotted some chickadees hoping on one branch to another on the lilac bush in front of our house.

I than saw a young woodpecker also sitting on the lilac bush humbling watching the chickadees bobbing here and there.

This made me smile as well as made me realise happiness is not just one thing.........

One thing I like about Cognitive Behavior Therapy is that it is in large part highly devoted to moving away from over-simplification and over-simplified understandings of complex realities. I think that matters because it means the Cognitive Behavior Therapy has built into it an ideal from which it can grow out of its own over-simplifications in the name of its ideals.

Man it sucks when you want to dance to rockin' music but don't know how and think you'd look stupid doing it, as well I ain't got no energy for that! Time to bust the moves in ma head~

Oh & yes... SPRING IS COMING! :hearts: