Random Thoughts

Seuss

Did you know that if you could drive your car at 90% of the speed of light in a 55-mph zone in Philadelphia, the speeding ticket would be something like $1.7 billion? (The source of this factoid is _What If_ by Randall Monroe. The book is hilarious -- he answers all sorts of weird questions, not off the top of his head, but by figuring them out using math. Great for wanna-be science nerds like me.)

I must be super-sensitive to caffeine. One scoop in a whole urn of decaf and 2 1/2 cups for me and I am rattled! I took a 1/2 of klonipan just to calm down the jitters. Then again it could be the nicotine in my e-cigs.......bummer.

If you've gone without caffeine for a while, then it's pretty common to get the caffeine jitters from just a small amount when you add it back in. I've had long spells where I've done without either on purpose or just because, and I go through it every time. It would be better for me to avoid it for some reasons, but sometimes it's the only thing that keeps me moving. Even when I have caffeine every day, I can't go near Sbux coffee as it makes me want to cling to the ceiling! I don't know if it's super-caffeinated or if it's something else they put in, but it's like drinking rocket fuel to me. LOL

This world is a hell of a place for people like us: stuck between the Sheeple, who are barely aware of their own existence and who suffer but don't know why, and the One-percenters, who are the authors of that suffering and like it that way. In our own case, we know exactly why we suffer, but we can't do a damned thing about it.

I don't know what made me say this -- I'm just sick and tired of this cookie-cutter world and the Bakers who are running it. (I guess we are the crumbs that get swept off the table and thrown into the garbage.)

This world is a hell of a place for people like us: stuck between the Sheeple, who are barely aware of their own existence and who suffer but don't know why, and the One-percenters, who are the authors of that suffering and like it that way. In our own case, we know exactly why we suffer, but we can't do a damned thing about it.

I don't know what made me say this -- I'm just sick and tired of this cookie-cutter world and the Bakers who are running it. (I guess we are the crumbs that get swept off the table and thrown into the garbage.)

Ooo nicely (actually...perfectly) said UeSchita.

Edited by Els1e

To hope for the best outcome for everyone; everyone who has ever lived, everyone living, and everyone who will ever live: to have that hope I think, entails hope for oneself. It seems that hoping like that is a kind of love.

I think hope is different from optimism. Optimism is about the future of people living right now or in future generations. But I think hope is different. I hope for the little girl who while clutching her Teddy Bear in fear was led into the horror of a gas chamber during the Holocaust. But I also hope for the poor souls who did this horrible thing to that innocent little girl and others. Perhaps one could say, the past is past. I don't know. I think hope hopes for the impossible, hopes against hope.

Edited by Epictetus

I feel like a freaking ***** -- I discovered I've been answering posts that were put up in 2004 (eleven years ago!) and have had no responses since then! I'm talking to people from over a decade in the past, who might not even be around anymore. What a newbie!!

I feel like a freaking ***** -- I discovered I've been answering posts that were put up in 2004 (eleven years ago!) and have had no responses since then! I'm talking to people from over a decade in the past, who might not even be around anymore. What a newbie!!

Don't feel too bad about it. It happens to a lot of us when we first start responding. There's a lot of it going around too. :) Sometimes it starts whole new discussions that can be helpful for others.

“I’ve always found this a trying time of the year. The leaves not yet out, mud everywhere you go. Frosty mornings gone. Sunny mornings not yet come. Give me blizzards and frozen pipes, but not this nothing time, not this waiting room of the world.”

- William Nicholson, SHADOWLANDS

Robin Hood smoked? I didn't know that tobacco had been introduced into England already. Wasn't it Sir Walter Raleigh who brought it over a couple hundred years later? ;)

it's just a lyric…

much like:

I’m so tired, I’m feeling so upset

Although I’m so tired I’ll have another cigarette

And curse Sir Walter Raleigh

He was such a stupid get….

(I am not sure why John Lennon wrote that last line that way.. I believe he is using the word "get" from old british slang, meaning "offspring"

Robin Hood smoked? I didn't know that tobacco had been introduced into England already. Wasn't it Sir Walter Raleigh who brought it over a couple hundred years later? ;)

Doctor Who visited him in an episode of Doctor Who last year, so he might have slipped him some smokes then :-)

it's just a lyric…

much like:

I’m so tired, I’m feeling so upset

Although I’m so tired I’ll have another cigarette

And curse Sir Walter Raleigh

He was such a stupid get….

(I am not sure why John Lennon wrote that last line that way.. I believe he is using the word "get" from old british slang, meaning "offspring"

Maybe he was saying 'git' & his Liverpoolean accent made it sound like 'get'?

(((Lady Mozzer)))

I don't think you (or anyone else) are stupid or worthless. I hope you feel better very soon!

What Lonely Hiker said!! I know how you feel though LM, I feel like I'm taking up space & oxygen I don't really deserve :-(

Hopefully one day, when they figure out how the brain works (the mechanics of depression), society will appreciate just how much people with depression have to suffer, & depressed people will feel enormously proud of how much they're able to endure with this terrible disease, & what they're able to achieve despite the suffering.

In the meantime, I think everyone here is just amazing - resilient, immeasurably strong, highly insightful & utterly worthwhile (err - apart from me...do as I say, not as I do :-).

(((Lady Mozzer)))

I don't think you (or anyone else) are useless or worthless. I hope you feel better very soon!

(((Lady Mozzer)))

I don't think you (or anyone else) are stupid or worthless. I hope you feel better very soon!

What Lonely Hiker said!! I know how you feel though LM, I feel like I'm taking up space & oxygen I don't really deserve :-(

Hopefully one day, when they figure out how the brain works (the mechanics of depression), society will appreciate just how much people with depression have to suffer, & depressed people will feel enormously proud of how much they're able to endure with this terrible disease, & what they're able to achieve despite the suffering.

In the meantime, I think everyone here is just amazing - resilient, immeasurably strong, highly insightful & utterly worthwhile (err - apart from me...do as I say, not as I do :-).

Thank you LonelyHiker and Els1e. :) :)