Random Thoughts

Seuss

I get sick just when I was about to be with family last night, and didn't end up going. I am so upset about that.

Sorry to hear KidSurvivor2011 --- my day at a relatives potluck turned out ok as much as i didn't feel like going

I wonder whether the negativity of journalistic "news" contributes to the acting out of negativity in a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy? Of course the news tells of the one plane or train that crashed and fails to mention the tens of thousands that did not. And of course the news tells of the student involved in school violence and not the billion students who were not.

Journalism can make "evil" seem huge and extensive when in fact evil stands out against goodness by its very rarity. But my question is, does the negative bias of journalism not only contribute to making us look for the bad in ourselves and others, but beyond that question: Does the negativity of news that blinds us to goodness "cause" negativity to increase? I'm thinking now of the Holocaust and other human atrocities. Can negativity snowball into epic human tragedies?

Well Epic that is a difficult question. I think bad things happened even before there was such a thing as "news" but it is possible they can inspire others to do bad things I guess. I think "good" news really aren't interesting, I mean it's like you say the bad stuff is the rare stuff and the good stuff is stuff that bore us because we take it for granted.

I wonder whether the negativity of journalistic "news" contributes to the acting out of negativity in a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy? Of course the news tells of the one plane or train that crashed and fails to mention the tens of thousands that did not. And of course the news tells of the student involved in school violence and not the billion students who were not.

Journalism can make "evil" seem huge and extensive when in fact evil stands out against goodness by its very rarity. But my question is, does the negative bias of journalism not only contribute to making us look for the bad in ourselves and others, but beyond that question: Does the negativity of news that blinds us to goodness "cause" negativity to increase? I'm thinking now of the Holocaust and other human atrocities. Can negativity snowball into epic human tragedies?

For years upon years we have always had gossipy, weird, negative and horrific news ,,, we didn't hear about it unless we read the newspaper, paid attention to the tv news or read some magazine,,, Now, with the internet.. it is constantly in our faces and an entirely different animal altogether. We get news at the click of the finger- it just shows up in your house on a screen 24/7…almost like I Dream of Jeannie, blinking her eyes and making things appear… The world, it seems, has become desensitized to catastrophe, tragedy and unbelievable events that go on across the universe and it's almost as if we have come to depend on all things devastated - and love and positivity is a rare find

Edited by SoulSurvivor

"You can be happy no matter what" is the thesis of Cognitive Behavior Therapy regarding depression and anxiety. The contrary thesis is that there are some things that make future happiness impossible and therefore make hopelessness permanent.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy is based on the observation that there are people who have suffered the worst that reality can throw at them and come out of it happy. If rotten stuff "necessarily" condemned one to permanent unhappiness, then it seems like there would not be people who were happy in spite of everything. But there are. I think that CBT asks: "What enabled those people who faced the worst of the worst to come out happy?"

"Could those things help all [or most/many] people to learn how "to be happy no matter what"?

"You can be happy no matter what" is the thesis of Cognitive Behavior Therapy regarding depression and anxiety. The contrary thesis is that there are some things that make future happiness impossible and therefore make hopelessness permanent.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy is based on the observation that there are people who have suffered the worst that reality can throw at them and come out of it happy. If rotten stuff "necessarily" condemned one to permanent unhappiness, then it seems like there would not be people who were happy in spite of everything. But there are. I think that CBT asks: "What enabled those people who faced the worst of the worst to come out happy?"

"Could those things help all [or most/many] people to learn how "to be happy no matter what"?

"You can Be Happy No Matter What' is just a sentence,,,, words strung together… I have read all these books about "Happiness" I have been to countless psychologists and psychiatrists .. trying to find the 'tools' to build happiness, studied buddhism… meditation.. as well as received a Bachelors Degree in Psychology .. still, for someone like me, it's an extremely difficult task to be happy and I struggle to be somewhat pleasant every day, so other people won't be put off by my presence - I have to be really mindful of that… I don't want to come across to people as unfriendly or unkind,,, because I know I have a good heart. However, I have never known real happiness.. I have never known how to have fun and be fully ecstatic or overjoyed. I have had pockets of happiness of course, but it's not lasting. My brain has been tuned to "D" since birth- Depression, Disappointment, Disconnect, Discouraged, Distressed, Down, Disillusioned… Disgruntled, Dissatisfied and hammering the A chord for Anxiety… I don't know what it is like not to feel those emotions throughout the day- and it's not that anything bad has had to happen for me to feel that way. It's just a BIG DENT in my brain. In my experience, there is not a book, therapy group or other person that can bring a person happiness… you have to truly feel it from within yourself.. I am not convinced someone can learn happiness; you are either born with the happy gene or you're not

Edited by SoulSurvivor

Cognitive Behavior Therapy is no miracle cure for depression or anxiety. It not only doesn't always work. It sometimes fails horribly. The creators of CBT and the practitioners are not unaware of this. If it is done correctly it is presented as a series of experiments along the following lines: "Here are some things we have learned from "some" people who were able to find happiness and peace of mind in the worst possible circumstances. In addition, many people [not all by any means] say they have been helped by these things. Would you like to try some of these techniques in an attempt to feel better?"

It is an axiom of CBT that some depressions resolve of their own in time; that a good friend can often be more helpful than a therapist; that other forms of therapy are often more effective at helping some people than CBT; that medical interventions are often more helpful; and that there are difficult cases and treatment resistant depressions. One of the founders of CBT [Aaron Beck] envisioned CBT along these lines, as passing on information that might help but not as any kind of dogmatism or miraculous cure. Genetics, early childhood experiences, past history, current history, culture and socialization, brain chemistry, environmental factors [head injuries, second-hand smoke, pollutants and food additives, etc] stress from family or work dynamics, traumas . . . any and all have been linked with depression and anxiety. With such a multitude of factors linked to depression and anxiety, very few people would say there is one universal and definitive cure

I recently bought two things for $335, and while I love them, I feel guilty, ashamed, and hypocritical. I am thankful for what I already have and feel bad for other people who might not have a lot, yet I made a huge purchase just right after Christmas, a time when I don't mind getting gifts at all. I may not be making sense, but I feel selfish. I feel so bad, I really do.

For years upon years we have always had gossipy, weird, negative and horrific news ,,, we didn't hear about it unless we read the newspaper, paid attention to the tv news or read some magazine,,, Now, with the internet.. it is constantly in our faces and an entirely different animal altogether. We get news at the click of the finger- it just shows up in your house on a screen 24/7…almost like I Dream of Jeannie, blinking her eyes and making things appear… The world, it seems, has become desensitized to catastrophe, tragedy and unbelievable events that go on across the universe and it's almost as if we have come to depend on all things devastated - and love and positivity is a rare find

My two cents worth ---- journalism, news on the net or television is propaganda. A quiet way to control the people by big brother/govt so to speak.