Sign in to follow this  
electrochemistry

Depression/anxiety - Most Effective Path For Relief/cure.

Depression/anxiety - most effective path for relief/cure.  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which chemical path gave you the most effective relief from depression/anxiety?

• Nutrition/Diet - elimination and/or addition of certain foods
    • Amino Acids
    • SSRI - selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors
    • SNRI - selective noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitors
    • Mood stabilizer - Lithium, Anti-convulsant, Antipsychotics
    • MAOI - Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
    • NRI - noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitors
    • Benzodiazepines
    • Tricyclics
    • Stimulants
    • NDDIs - Norepinephrine-dopamine disinhibitors
    • NaSSA - Noradrenergic and specific serotonergic
    • SARIs - Serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitors
    • NDRI - Norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitors
    • SSRE - Selective serotonin reuptake enhancers
    • Vitamin and mineral suppliements, herbal medicines
    • Nicotine
    • Alcohol
    • illegal drug
    • Other
  2. 2. Which Non-chemical path gave you the most effective relief from depression/anxiety?

• Exercise - includes doing yoga, tai chi, dancing, physical movement, etc
    • Religious/Spiritual - including it in your life
    • Religious/Spiritual - removing it from your life
    • Change of work/employment
    • Intimate Relationship change
    • Placebo
    • Meditation
    • Talk therapy - psychologist, councillor, friend/family, etc
    • Socializing
    • Hobbies, Intellectual Interest, Artistic pursuits
    • Sex - better, more
    • Volunteering
    • Money - increase
    • Money - decrease
    • Other

NRIs work best for depression for me, but I need to be on a mood stabiliser along with whatever AD I take. Other in that I've not found any non-chemical solution that really makes a dent. Yay bipolar.

Kind of, yes. Unmedicated I don't get highs, just lows. Antidepressants make my hypomanic without a mood stabiliser though.

I answered mood stabilizer because it recently made a night and day difference in my life. Before i was diagnosed bipolar and put on seroquel i had been on antidepressants and benzos but i really need a mood stabilizer as it turned out. And for non-chemical, my top 3 would be hobbies, socializing, and exercise.

Yep, I tried a mood stabilizer for a while, sodium valproate, very effective for calming angry energy type mood swings/bipolar highs. Only problem for me was that it completely flattened my energy levels to the point of not having much get up and go at all. But using it i could see how it can stabilize mania/hypomania and even a sustained angery mood swing caused by any number of things, including food intolerance, as seemed to be one factor at least in my case.

Whoops, completely missed your reply/question. Reboxetine worked pretty well but made me cycle, didn't really know what was happening at the time so just chalked it up as failure. Hoping to add reboxetine back in when I'm stable on lamotrigine and carbamazepine.

Also re: the energy thing, I know a lot of bipolar people who take mood stabiliser(s) and then Wellbutrin/protriptyline/Strattera/desipramine/reboxetine for energy since bipolar depression often seems to be the 'atypical' variety which has a lot of fatigue/etc.

Edited by Velthir

Re: mood stabilizers and body energisers. Interesting, when I take reboxetine alone, even at a tiny dose (1 to 0.5mg), it is incredibly energizing for me, in a negative way. The snri's are too energizing too, even though they have SSRI combined. I haven't tried the combination of nri and mood stabilizer, so will keep that as an option. The other problem with sodium valproate is that it flattens my wavy hair, and when my hair flattens it is always an indication of ill health. Lamotrigine and carbamazepine are two mood stabilizers I haven't tried, but I gather that they have less severe adverse effects.

Velthir, have you ever explored the reactive hypoglycemic path? Many symptoms of rapid cycling bipolar (yours might be another type?) seem to be identical to hypoglycemia. I've recently changed my diet to stabilize blood sugar highs and lows to see what results i get. So far I'm having better results than with the medical drugs I've tried.

Also you have sort of lost me a bit. You say without drugs you just have low moods only, then that means you don't actually have bipolar then? But you also say that on A.D's you get bipolar like highs? What A.D's give you that? SNRI's? NRI's? I thought people with major depression only would benefit more from meds that treat low mood only? Mood stabilizers are for treating overly buoyant and overly angry moods are they not?

Edited by electrochemistry

It's not something I've considered. I'm ultra rapid cycling (at my worst, cycles can be a few days at a time) with awful mixed states at times when dealing with antidepressants. However, when unmedicated I'm basically just depressed, swinging between depressed and very depressed in rather less rapid cycles (months).

I have my doubts that it's as simple as blood sugar in my case, since I've had periods with meds working before they started making me cycle where I felt fine without any dietary changes.

It's not something I've considered. I'm ultra rapid cycling (at my worst, cycles can be a few days at a time) with awful mixed states at times when dealing with antidepressants. However, when unmedicated I'm basically just depressed, swinging between depressed and very depressed in rather less rapid cycles (months).

I have my doubts that it's as simple as blood sugar in my case, since I've had periods with meds working before they started making me cycle where I felt fine without any dietary changes.

Just thought it maybe worth a look at trialing a diet change. Caffeine and fast sugars for example, can cycle my mood very rapidly and keep it unstable for 2-3 days. Only by being careful not to consume those things gets me to a stable mood again. Fast release sugars and caffeine are in many foods we consume, and often unknowingly. Certain short chain carbohydrates as identified by FODMAP diet, can cause people mood problems until they are eventually identified and eliminated. Mood stabilizers work for me too, but I don't need them if i'm careful with what i eat. I was in effect using mood stabilisers to help me through a diet that was wrong for me.

I'm taking Lyrica and Seroquel for anxiety and depression, also take exercise 5/6 days a week. This seems to take the worst of the problem away I can function and get by, I don't feel great and worry about the long term effect of these drugs!

I'm taking Lyrica and Seroquel for anxiety and depression, also take exercise 5/6 days a week. This seems to take the worst of the problem away I can function and get by, I don't feel great and worry about the long term effect of these drugs!

ok, so an anti-convulsant and an anti psychotic. Small amount polled so far, but seems that the most effective chems have generally been from this group of meds. With ssri second.

Edited by electrochemistry

Yes that's right electrochemistry, I don't find that SSRIs do anything but give me more anxiety and sleep problems. Snris can put me in uncomfortable mixed moods plus the same insomnia and anxiety. It could be different now that I'm on Seroquel. My psychiatrist did talk about one of the older tricyclics I'm thinking about trying that in the near future :-)

Your prob right Electrochemistry I think I may just increase the Seroquel I can take more if I wish instead. Seoquel plus a tricyclic could be to sedating!

I'm taking 50mg Seroquel and 20mg Lexapro, I have only been on this mix for a week now but the Seroquel is great for putting me to sleep and then keeping me awake through the day with energy. Still struggling with my moods though, one little thing destroys me for a whole day. Most times I have to take valium and sleep it off.

Before that I was on 30mg avanza.. horrible! It put me into full blown psychosis, started hearing voices and massive memory loss.. think I lost a few brain cells on that one :(

Hmm, I wonder if the low number of votes indicates that the many things that have been tried are simply not very effective in the treatment of anxiety and depression? Most on here are still looking for answers?

Hmm, I wonder if the low number of votes indicates that the many things that have been tried are simply not very effective in the treatment of anxiety and depression? Most on here are still looking for answers?

It's possible, the people looking at this board are likely to have tried the standard meds which all have their own boards which would probably mean a degree of treatment resistance/difficulty, I know I didn't really look down here much until I'd run through a few of the standard options and was trying other meds.

Edited by Velthir

It's possible, the people looking at this board are likely to have tried the standard meds which all have their own boards which would probably mean a degree of treatment resistance/difficulty, I know I didn't really look down here much until I'd run through a few of the standard options and was trying other meds.

Yep, could be the case. We'll see what happens here?

Hi Mods and Admins, can you please move this topic back to the original forum it was in - 'Other Depression and Anxiety Medications'. It had far more response there. Thank you :)

Hi Mods and Admins, can you please move this topic back to the original forum it was in - 'Other Depression and Anxiety Medications'. It had far more response there. Thank you :)