Sign in to follow this  
AHollowFairytale

Weight Loss

I know that symptoms of Depression include weight loss, but I'm curious about what this means exactly. Is it the speculation that if one is depressed enough, they don't eat as much? Or that the body, due to the stress of depression, just loses on its own?

I've been depressed for many years, but only recently have I started having weight loss issues. I feel like I eat normally, so something seems a bit off. I know my depression has gotten worse, since my anxiety increased and I was diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder.

I'm not sure about the link between depression and weight loss. When I'm really down, I lose my sense of smell and my taste is dulled. Also, I have no appetite. I do eat, but less because I have to force it down. Then when I'm anxious, I eat and gain weight. Everyone is different. Maybe you had such a gradual change in appetite that you didn't notice that you were starting to eat less. Meds can also effect appetite and metabolism.

You could be right, I haven't been minding my eating very much and spend most time in my room anymore. When I was working, I'd forget to eat and go through the day feeling sick and having no energy, I'd have to remind myself to eat but it was difficult.

I don't pay attention to food too much. I have one or two meals a day and that is at night. I've always been on a thin side, but I now weight less then I ever did. My bmi is 15.4, but I don't think I look underweight. I am aware that I eat poorly though. In my case it's definitely due to that.