Doing Nothing, No Energy, Laziness

flowerpower89

Over the past few weeks since we've been having this cold snowy weather I have not had an ounce of motivation to do anything. I have no job at the moment and I literally spend the whole day sitting on my bed with my laptop looking at random internet stuff. My routine is to go to sleep at about 4am and wake up sometime around midday. The most exercise I get is walking downstairs to make a sandwich!

Is anyone else in a similar way? How do you get out of this rut?

The cold snowy weather causes us to to think negatively, it's cold, there is too much snow.... It was -30 deg last night and I would rather have stayed in bed all day too. The only way I can make myself feel better is to force myself to do something. So I made myself a cup of tea, I took a shower, shaved, and then lit the fireplace. I'm not doing much else today but will go or a 15 minute walk, wrapped up well. Whilst I'm walking, as fast as I am capable of, I'll be counting from 100 to 1, backwards in decrements of 3.

Nothing wrong with going to bed at 4:00am, if it suits your schedule, but I would try and set yourself up to go to bed before midnight, so you can see more daylight. Sunshine is important for us at this time of year....

Having been through my third depression I know this is easy to say, but not so easy to do, exercise in any way shape or form is a key to improving mental health, setting the body clock and often to meet others.

Hope these thoughts help

Good advice from extremebeginner. The cold, dark winter months are hard for me too. I try to keep to a schedule: up at 9, coffee, facebook and DF, lunch between 1130 and 1230, homework and housework till my kids get home from school, etc etc. Sometimes it's hard to get to sleep at night or get up in the morning but I make myself most times. My psych dr says that sunshine is extremely important in regulating hormones and processing vitamin d which has something to do with nerve transmission in the brain and other things. Exercise releases endorphins, which are the body's natural feel good hormones. I don't know how you feel about meds, but there are some that can help with energy and motivation. They help me immensely. Good luck and keep us posted.

Wow sounds exactly like me... the sleeping pattern.. and not feeling motivated by the freezing cold weather lately (-24 degrees Celsius ._.), everything. It's like the most productive I feel is when I complete chores and when I learn something new on the internet or absorb new, random knowledge..

Oh my goodness, I hate the cold. When it gets this cold all I want to do is turn on the electric blanket as high as it will go and sleep and sleep and sleep. So I feel you!

I really struggle with this, but what seems to help is having a schedule or plans. I have to go somewhere most mornings, so I get up and get dressed and eat something... I've also started taking a multivitamin a day (wondering if I have deficiencies and that might help give me more energy), I've only done it a few days so I can't say yet. Also, having Vitamin D can help those with depression because we're not getting enough from sunlight in the winter, so I've been drinking a glass of vitamin D orange juice every morning or so. (though the vitamin takes care of that now).

Also, anything to keep yourself warm! Hot tea, hot chocolate, hot meals, sweatshirts. I would say blanket but that makes me sleepier, lol.

I can relate. I work a part time job in the morning, then I go home and either sleep, watch films/tv or play video games the entire day. I've done this every single day since I started in November 2011. I really long to go out and explore the world, but I lack that kind of confidence and motivation. It hurts.

I live in the south and the temps have been around 50-60 lately so I don't have that excuse! Yet I still sit around all day and have no energy or motivation to do anything. I have to get up and get the kids to school then I either go back to sleep or do a little housework then sit around unless I absolutely have to do something then I'm exhausted after doing it. I feel so old and worn out.

The only way I can get going is to drink a few cups of coffee or energy drinks, then I feel jittery/nauseated sometimes but if I have to do something that is the only way.

I hope you figure out something and let us all in on it! Good luck!

I do the same , just eat very little, if I have the energy have my so called girlfriend come over and we talk.

No motivation, I don't like the daytime at all, and take meds, sleeping aids just to get me through the daytime. Actually winter is better for me since it gets darker earlier. Summer time I am even more depressed, seeing people outside, hearing people say cant wait until summer time to go to the beach, ect.

I am the same way except I am this way all year around. I get up anywhere between 8:30 & 10am, then I take my dog outside for about 15-30 minutes. I sit out there with her to get some fresh air that & she won't stay out unless I'm with her. I then have my coffee while doing the internet thing, which can include facebook, twitter, writing on my blogs the DF or working for my online affiliate business. Then from 12:30 to 3 pm I watch my soaps. After that sometimes I may clean something like the bathroom or load/unload the dishwasher or wash a load of clothes or I go run errands if I have errands to run, then I take the dog for a walk & then I go back to the computer again for another 2 hrs doing the same as earlier. At 6ish I fix dinner & am still online while it's cooking. After dinner, I retire to the couch and watch tv the rest of the night which is usually until 12 then bed. Get up & repeat the next day. Nothing exciting. I'm sitting most of the day, actually either laying on the couch or sitting at my kitchen table online. I feel fatigued all the time and have tried everything, meds, vitamins, exercise, still nothing helps. But as far as my depressive episodes, I have those all year around no matter what time of year, although it does tend to be worse and more often in the winter months.