Don't Know What To Do With My Life

pixler

I don't really have any talents either. Sometimes though you can cultivate talents by pursuing your passions. Tell us about them, and maybe we can help point you in the write direction in pursuing them at least. I guarantee you a lot of us feel just as lost and directionless right now, regardless of where we are in our lives.

EDIT: For example, one day I want to be the frontman for an extreme metal band, so I practice screaming/growling every day, and recently did an online search for metal bands looking for vocalists. Nothing much atm, but if I do so every now and then, I'm bound to find one close enough for me to do something with. Even if we just practice once and never again, it would be a nice experience.

Edited by darkdaxter

I have plenty of talents and I still don't know what I want to do with my life!!!! So I am currently a housewife. All the jobs I have had (except the small amount of violin teaching I have done) has had nothing whatsoever to do with my talents. I have some long term goals but I have no idea how to achieve them. I think it's a fairly common situation to be in when you question what and where you are going in life. I guess if you keep your passions alive it's definitely a step in the right direction.

I knew a person who want to be a movie director too. From conversations with him (granted this is dated information), he didn't start out very good at writing scripts/screenplays either. He went through a lot of different drafts and short amateur movies, before I met him at my old campus. He joined a forum in highschool dedicated to amateur movie-making, and made a number of internet friends that got together once a year for a weekend to go to a movie convention. Once he started corresponding with them more, he got a lot of constructive criticism, different viewpoints, help, and support, and started making longer short films. He used to post them up, but I was usually too busy to watch them and have since lost the links. All that and it was his side-dream! He went to school to be a civil-engineer!

My point is, that you'll get better with practice. The more you do it, and the more support you garner in your attempts, the better you'll be. Maybe if you keep hitting a road block now, you could try starting a new screenplay? Or even start with shorter stories first. Back when I used to write fanfiction, I changed stories a ton of times, and only ever completed one of them that wasn't a oneshot. I would hit writer's block too, and just be unable to get what was in my head onto paper in a way that satisfied me. Starting over fresh would help because I could temporarily sidestep the roadblock, and come back to it when I felt like I had a good direction for the story to go in.

Edited by darkdaxter

I carried thoughts about not knowing what to do with my life for years and years. I had few interests and was too depressed and anxious to make any attempt to try something. Finally I started to pursue a hobby when I was in my late twenties and eventually it led to a job for me. I sympathize with people going through that feeling of having no idea what they want to do. It isnt pleasant.

• 2 months later...

I've been down today. I don't know what to do with my life. I don't have any goals. I have passions but I don't have any talents

I think you should volunteer, that will help you figure out many things about yourself...

I second volunteering. I'm volunteering right now.

I studied film. As someone who's done screenwriting, I would say don't try to write a full screenplay. Feature screenplays, minus rare exceptions, are a beast and take an enormous amount of writing discipline, especially if you're starting out. Discipline and depression don't work well together in my experience. I recommend watching a lot of shorts instead (shortoftheweek.com for example). They are more manageable and realistically, if you want to start, your first work will likely be a short. The more you watch, the more you will get an idea of the kind of stories you are more than capable of writing.

Alternatively, depending on where you live and if you have the resources and time, you can try being a PA on sets? Small jobs, basically doing anything they might need. Might just be holding a reflector, but they don't require experience and the more you do, the more experience you can add to your resume and the more like-minded people you'll meet. There's websites like Mandy.com, for example. With some contacts, you can take on projects of your own. Film is not a one-man job, you need other people. And you need those people to cultivate skills.

I wish you good luck. Depression has pretty much sucked all the enjoyment out of my life now. I haven't watched a film in over 2 months :(

P.S. I kinda don't really have a purpose right now either and I feel aimless and lost...so same boat.

Edited by Roarrr

quote:

I wish you good luck. Depression has pretty much sucked all the enjoyment out of my life now. I haven't watched a film in over 2 months :(

P.S. I kinda don't really have a purpose right now either and I feel aimless and lost...so same boat.

Hi, what kind of films did you watch?