What's Your 6 Month Goal?

SpaceAce

Hello everyone,

I don't know how this will go but let's do it. Post a goal that pushes your boundaries and gets you out doing something you haven't done before and you have 6 months to complete it and post back in this thread. It could be a new hobby or just a new experience, maybe you just want to do something you haven't done in a while but has been on your mind.

My goal - I've always wanted to catch the train and go for a big bike ride through the city.

Some suggestions: Cook a new dish you have never made before, buy a huge jigsaw puzzle and put it together, try a new sport (maybe join a club?), write a short story, go to a local event/fair/market, visit a museum, buy tickets to see a concert, organise a night out with a couple of friends, have a movie night and hire out a few movies you wouldn't normally watch, do some crafting/drawing/art type thing, if you like photography take a photo of one different kind of object/plant/sunset/whatever every day and post your best pictures online, go to a garage sale and buy something neat, start a gem/rock collection, make some jewellery, etc.

If you post in here and don't achieve your goal in 6 months you will need to transfer $250,000 into my bank account so that is the incentive. Oh and also you might feel better too. If you have no friends like me you can still fly solo and achieve your goal anyway.

Let's have em'!

Edited by Sheepwoman
TOS

:P I've already decided that I'm going to be out of my parent's house by next August, even if it means I'm still broke and I just literally walk out the door with nothing.

So I'll list up my current goals:
-pass this semester without dropping any courses

-get a full time job or two part time jobs

-fix my car (and all that entails)

-move out

But since I don't want to be lame, and not make any new goals for this thread... here's some other things I'd LIKE to be able to accomplish someday (these with an extra 6 months because the first will keep me busy enough :P)
At least one of the following:

-get a girlfriend or at least go on a date

-join/form a band and/or write a song

-go to a party/concert and have fun

-write a fanfiction or fiction story again

-learn to draw and create a piece of artwork depicting my neuroses

-learn to skateboard
-design an early working version of a megaman fighting game (an alpha if you will, because this goal will likely take a VERY long time if it is to live up to all I want it to be)

Edited by darkdaxter

My current goals:

- I would like to visit the neighbourhood that I lived in between ages 5 and 15. There is a store there that sells the most delicious sweet bread I've ever had, but to go there now would be to go very much out of my way for a brief moment of pleasure in my mouth. I've been procrastinating on getting it done.

- I would like to get back in regular contact with at least one of my formerly close friends via Facebook. I've told myself time and time again that it won't ever happen until I make it happen, but I keep procrastinating on that too.

- I would like to visit the middle school I used to attend. I promised my teachers that I would, but now it's been nine years and I still haven't. I even dream about visiting that school sometimes. That's how I know that I can't rest until I get it done.

More long-term ("six-month") goals:

- I would like to go through a semester without dropping a single class. This would require me not losing so much interest in the subjects that I could get through the semester, but that hasn't happened since my first semester of college.

- I would like to save money. A lot of money. A good friend of mine has given a year's notice that she intends to get married in Nova Scotia, Canada, and that I am on the guest list. If I can't save up enough to make it, I will not make it. And I don't want to miss it. Also, my own love interest lives in another state and I would love to see her again. And finally, I could really use some money to pay off my enormous credit card debt.

My long-term goals will probably take me more than six months to achieve, but I am hopeful that I will at least make significant progress in that time.

Edited by Luis

I don't have 250k lollll

but there are my goal:

pass all my course without dropping them

exercise at least 20 min a day and lose a a few pound

respect my calorie goal for the day

learn a bit my dad language (Punjabi)

delete my facebook account and never look back

stop caring about what people think or might think

stop thinking about the past

read at least 2 different book a month

improve my french and english

Hit garage sales and thrift stores and sell enough stuff on ebay (maybe even some wall art) so that I can earn enough money (I'm on disability) to file a tax return next year so that I can claim my own son as a deduction and tell his dad to suck it when he asks if HE can claim him again! Oh, and use the money to continue to fix up my house!

In the past, I never made goals for myself. I wondered through life with no guidance or dreams. It was pretty sad.

But now I feel that setting goals for yourself is one of the most important things to do in life. That's why I set a few of my own and plan on following them. Here's my 6 month goals:

- To still be at the same job I have now. Sounds simple, but with my major depression, the average job for me lasts less than 2 months before I get fired. I start my new job tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

- To pay off all of my bills. I should be able to do that in 2 months.

- Lose 40 more pounds. I've already lost exactly 30lbs since last September. I went from a massive 347lbs, down to 317lbs, just from not eating fast food and walking more. I have way more energy and don't wheeze when I do chores.

- Have almost enough money for a vehicle. I lost my vehicle last September due to debt and have been taking public transit since. Getting fed up with waiting for a bus all the time in -15C weather and need a car!

- Buy a TV and get my cable back. Right now, I'm watching DVD movies and DVD TV shows on a 20" computer monitor in my bedroom.

My six month goals are:

- to eat healthily (more fruit & veg). Calorie intake is not a problem but I have noticed I was filling my self up with coffee and not eating particularly healthily in the last 6 months, so I need to make sure I'm getting all the right vitamins etc.

- to get the house ready for the new addition to the family in september!

- to finish writing the novel I started in December and try to get it published (could be longer than 6 months...)

- to continue with the online crafts business I started last year

- to do all the above without meds (see goal two). I realise that after the birth I will probably have to go back on them for a while. But I can live in hope.

I love lists and goals, its almost compulsive :)

- get a better job...need more money

- figure out whats wrong with my health, many issues, mostly incompetent doctors.

- fix my appearance: get in shape for the new job

- get rid of my drinking friends: the red alcohol acid is taking its tall on my stomach and am growing a alcohol belly/ got to stop drinking

- Start wring a fiction book: work on character development.

I have the basics of the plot figured out, but only 3 characters fully defined.

Wraith- the mad king, with many secrets

Leon-the classical hero for justice, but in the end he brings hell with good intentions

Reverie- day dreamer, the passive hero, talented swordsman

It will probably never be published, but it feels good to submerge into my day-dreams.

• 1 month later...

I don't have 250k lollll

but there are my goal:

pass all my course without dropping them

exercise at least 20 min a day and lose a a few pound

respect my calorie goal for the day

learn a bit my dad language (Punjabi)

delete my facebook account and never look back

stop caring about what people think or might think

stop thinking about the past

read at least 2 different book a month

improve my french and english

you would have 250k right now...

well I dropped my 2 courses

I dunno one class I didn't have to attend but I should have, I was ready to go to the mid term but I keep pushing my study, so the night before I just staled. I was like how did this happen. Why did I let this happen. I always bring the book with me when I went, and I studied 3 chapter weeks before I only had 2 left. that was stupid. The other class I left cuz the attendance was required to get your class note, but I missed the first 2 class, but went to the third one, I felt so weird being there. I sat in the back near the door, cuz if I needed to go to the restroo,, as usual I was having major stomach pain but it was ok. no noise or anything. But I felt I sat in the wrong place, the people next to me looked at me weirdly I though for next class I needed a place to sit anyway I got discouraged usually because it was my appearance. anyway I stopped attending there was no way I could catch up.

I though I would feel relieved but nope, now I don't have to study I feel more sad, and keep thinking all day long about the bad experience and the awful people I can't help it. At least I am working but I feel more lonely there.

I did lose some weight, respected calorie goal for most of the day I always have 2-3very bad day but the rest I respect my goal, I wish I could exercise every week, but I only do it 3-4x a week. its going slowely and most of the time I am just maintaining with the way I eat :(

I didn't improve my english as you can see lol

when I feel alot alot alot wayyyyy worse in public that I did before. I think I will go back of wearing my hat. wish I could go out with a burka -_-

Every guy I pass by make me feel worse. I hate hate hate this.

Edited by chucapabra

• 2 weeks later...

To finish my next book, and maybe even publish some of my older material. I'm really pleasantly surprised to see that there are some other writers here. If you folks would ever like to chat about literary matters, feel free to PM me anytime, I'd love to hear from you.

Great idea...I started a Legionnaire's Disease Survivor's Story years ago but haven't worked on it in a LOONG time! In fact, it's in my other computer! I'll have to download Microsoft Word and transfer it over so I can work on it some more before I forget everything I went through (like that could happen, even with the short term memory loss!).

• 2 weeks later...

I am setting a really small 6 month goal because lately I have been feeling kind of defeated and unable to put a lot of effort into the future. But my goal is to put away 150 dollars to purchase a pair of danskos. They are professional shoes that are supposed to be good for people who stand a lot.

Also a pair of orthotics.

Edited by Pinga

That's a great place to start, it really motivates you. When we built our house 2 and a half years ago, the one thing and the first thing I asked for was a jetted bathtub. I told them I didn't need a huge garden tub, just a regular bathtub with jets. When my house was finished, I walked into my master bath and noticed an EXTRA LARGE jetted tub and I thought, "cool"....until I tried to use it. You see, same geniuses who gave me an 80 gallon bathtub for my house, gave me a 40 GALLON HOT WATER HEATER!!! Apparently MATH isn't a requirement for the contractors hired at the factory that built my house. So I've been spending weekends cruising garage sales looking for stuff to sell and it gives me something to do, plus look forward to on weekends, trying to earn enough money to get a BIGGER hot water heater! And rain gutters, and pave my driveway, and ceramic tile for my kitchen....etc., etc., etc.!!!