Stress = Depression = Not Coping With Life?

Peony

I am scared now that everytime i hv stress in my life i will get depressed my medswill stop working and i will get depressed and can't cope with life ...then i get new meds and it starts all over....

meaning my body and brain can't handle life!

this is so scary!!!

You're not alone my friend, and you can take a little heart in knowing many of us out here are also steadfastly searching for ways to break this very painful cycle.

It is hell, but as Churchill said, "just keep going".

thx.js..glad u get to go see a therapist soon.... hope they offer you could support.

tu rhop ..that's what i was afraid of..... do you hold a full time job?.... that's my goal and I'm afraid I won't be able to handle it.

No one knows what will come, The key factor I feel is the ability to adapt, to take what happens for what it is, deal with and respond to it based on your own belief system. And don't hammer yourself if you get something wrong.

Point being, the more mistakes you make the more you learn. That's kinda the meaning of life (as much as I've figured out so far anyway)

i presume from your post that stress triggered some relapse, hence your current concerns, All i would is say is make sure you are not winding yourself over tight waiting for something to go wrong,

Ding

thx.js..glad u get to go see a therapist soon.... hope they offer you could support.

tu rhop ..that's what i was afraid of..... do you hold a full time job?.... that's my goal and I'm afraid I won't be able to handle it.

No I have not had a fulltime job in 4 years, I have maintained fulltime work in periods of 3 years and longer. Only to be taken down again and dragged through the dungeon, but I fight to rise up again, even as I can see my enemy approaching, because sometimes I am the victor (you are too)!!and the fight was worth it.

And I am in the fight once again and will not stop.

Edited by Rhop

good point ding.... I will try not to obsess about the next stress... and I have a little OCD so.it cld.happen if im.not aware.

rhop...i hvnt had fulltime work for 6 yrs...im.afraid to look for it.....can't handle it if boss is a bully.and holds livelihood over my head.

are u afraid to.hv fulltime work....do u think u cld handle it and. mng yr depression ?

good point ding.... I will try not to obsess about the next stress... and I have a little OCD so.it cld.happen if im.not aware.

rhop...i hvnt had fulltime work for 6 yrs...im.afraid to look for it.....can't handle it if boss is a bully.and holds livelihood over my head.

are u afraid to.hv fulltime work....do u think u cld handle it and. mng yr depression ?

Yes I am afraid, and no I could not take on a full time job right now, my depression is too severe.

Yes I am afraid, and no I could not take on a full time job right now, my depression is too severe.

I've been underemployed for the past 2 years (working only 18hrs weekly) and it has caused major stress in my life. This winter I've been more depressed than usual so I sometimes think "at least I don't have a full time job cause I couldn't handle it right now".

But in my more optimistic moments I believe that working full time would actually help my depression b/c I'd feel like I'm being a useful and contributing member of society. I'd also be too busy to be destracted by any depressed thoughts and I know working full time would help my self-confidence....does any of that apply to you? You might do better than you think at full time work.

That being said, you know your moods best and if it really would be too much than don't push yourself too hard until you get to a better spot mentally. It's a tough balancing act and one I work at (hah, pun!) constantly.

You're not alone my friend, and you can take a little heart in knowing many of us out here are also steadfastly searching for ways to break this very painful cycle.

It is hell, but as Churchill said, "just keep going".

Just take one thing at a time and don't try to do too much at once. Try things out to see how much you can handle and don't push yourself. Also find something that you enjoy and are good at to boost your confidence, because if you're too worried about stress then you could end up turning down some really good opportunities.

And as Dori from Finding Nemo says "just keep swimming".

You are not alone in having these thoughts. I think anyone that has been beaten up by depression loses confidence in their ability to handle life. I personally try to stay away from stressful situations and although I could make more money, I choose not to change my job because I am comfortable where I am.

The other day I had a really bad panic attack because I'm getting off my meds and I was scared about relapse and my thoughts spiraled down like crazy up to the point where I was wondering how I'm gonna cope with the death of my parents. And they are both in good health, only 60. Crazy.