Believe In God?

I do believe in God.

I think it's sad though the state of religion and society today. Religion and belief should be something that is personal. If you believe, so be it. If you don't, that's perfectly fine as well.

I am a very sensitive person. And because of this I have a hard time telling people that I am a religious person. These days people seem to view anyone that is religious as nuts or completely crazy.

I have my reasons for believing and that is that. I don't want to be alienated because I do. At the same time, I have no problem if someone doesn't believe. Just don't make me feel like im crazy because I do. LEt's all respect each other and treat each other like human beings. A being's relationship with God is just that. Between God and themselves....so why involve anyone else?

I do believe in God.

I think it's sad though the state of religion and society today. Religion and belief should be something that is personal. If you believe, so be it. If you don't, that's perfectly fine as well.

I am a very sensitive person. And because of this I have a hard time telling people that I am a religious person. These days people seem to view anyone that is religious as nuts or completely crazy.

I have my reasons for believing and that is that. I don't want to be alienated because I do. At the same time, I have no problem if someone doesn't believe. Just don't make me feel like im crazy because I do. LEt's all respect each other and treat each other like human beings. A being's relationship with God is just that. Between God and themselves....so why involve anyone else?

Just as atheists like me are often discriminated against. I think it's a cycle. Someone follows their doctrines and neccessarily tries to spread their faith, only to try to spread it where it isn't welcome, and then backlash. Rinse and repeat. The concept of disseminating your faith is something I can understand if your truth is indeed the ONLY truth (the only REAL truth or the only one WORTH believing in), but at this day and age with so many different Truth's, I just don't think it's neccessary anymore. It REALLY bugs me when people come up to me and try to ask me things like if I believe in heaven, especially when they themselves don't fully understand the concept they're trying to espouse. I don't go up to people demanding to know why they believe in god, as if they shouldn't. I recognize religion's PERMANENT place in the world. As long as your beliefs make you happy and don't effect me, believe in whatever you want. Just let me do the same :)

I do believe in God.

I have a PhD, and let me tell you, I absolutely despise it when people say they're an atheist because "they believe in science". I find that doubly insulting. Both as a believer and as a scientist.

Edited by PulledPork

I do believe in God.

I have a PhD, and let me tell you, I absolutely despise it when people say they're an atheist because "they believe in science". I find that doubly insulting. Both as a believer and as a scientist.

I'll never understand why the two can't comfortably coexist, when so many prominent scientific figures either believe in some form of god or are open to the concept of a god. I honestly think most of this debate exists not between each side's figureheads or even so much in it's devout followers, so much as it does between random people. I've had perfectly rational debates about this with people who disagreed with me, but applauded my ability to be open to the concept of a god even if I didn't neccesarily believe in it. One doesn't get rid of the other. Both science (logic/reason) and religion/philosophy (potential answers to the questions we can never hope to know) will always exist and be capable of coexisting. If there is only science, god may only be the mere laws that govern our physical universe. If there is only religion, god may have created the universe according to physical laws which we call science!

Yes I do, though I'm agnostic. I believe there's some sort of power that is greater than us humans that we can interact with. I have no idea how to define it despite years of thought and research. It's so nebulous that it can't be described. Neither this nor that, but whatever you personally need It to be?..... I'm a particular fan of eastern religions and find the idea of divinity in nature makes great sense to me.

Btw, great discussion going on here- love this part of DF!

I grew up in a religious home. I believed in God for years. I went to bible school, attended church regularly - a great church that focused on helping people who needed it - was very involved, and had many experiences of God that are very personal and certainly seemed real.

I got so much strength from this when my depression was bad, and was always so grateful when the depression was better.

But a few years ago my life unravelled. The faith I had held tight to seemed to disappear. Things no longer made sense. The people around me who claimed to believe in God quit contacting me. The community I had been involved in for years wa not there for me in my time of greatest need. I get that it was hard for people.

I did a lot of soul searching, and reading, and thinking, and praying, and at this point in my life I know one thing for sure. The only thing I know for sure is that life is about love. About learning what love is, how to love, loving those close and far.

And things no longer made sense to me. God no longer made sense to me.

I still believe that we are spiritual people and that there is something....is it the energy that connects us? I don't know. But there is a part of me that still seeks something beyond myself. A greater meaning in life.

I appreciate reading everyone's thoughts here. It is so interesting to hear other people's experiences.

I do believe in God.

Just as atheists like me are often discriminated against. I think it's a cycle. Someone follows their doctrines and neccessarily tries to spread their faith, only to try to spread it where it isn't welcome, and then backlash. Rinse and repeat. The concept of disseminating your faith is something I can understand if your truth is indeed the ONLY truth (the only REAL truth or the only one WORTH believing in), but at this day and age with so many different Truth's, I just don't think it's neccessary anymore. It REALLY bugs me when people come up to me and try to ask me things like if I believe in heaven, especially when they themselves don't fully understand the concept they're trying to espouse. I don't go up to people demanding to know why they believe in god, as if they shouldn't. I recognize religion's PERMANENT place in the world. As long as your beliefs make you happy and don't effect me, believe in whatever you want. Just let me do the same :)

Oh yeah I totally agree with you! I'm Muslim, I do not spread my beliefs onto anyone else though. Religion to me is between me and God and that is it. Actually the other day a lady came in to my work and gave me a bible. I took it just so I didn;t have to deal with any discussion. But that annoyed me a great deal.

As said I do believe in God, to me its impossible not to but when I see all the suffering going on in this world I wish I could force Him to set things right. So I pray n be as active in helping others as I can. At times my own faith fails me, how can it not?

As said I do believe in God, to me its impossible not to but when I see all the suffering going on in this world I wish I could force Him to set things right. So I pray n be as active in helping others as I can. At times my own faith fails me, how can it not?

Well put. The "theodicy" or "problem of evil", is particularly troubling for those of us treading in darker waters. That's why the Psalms are so powerful.