Adderall Anyone Take For Treatment Resistant Depression?

Just curious.

I found wellbutrin to do okay problem is with long half life I got insomnia with the XL at least. I didnt like the fact that I had to up my sleep med seroquel just to compensate sleep for it either. Other then that since being off it a week...I am tired again and feeling just bluh.

My son has ADHD I have never been officially been diagnosed as I dont know if they would at my age 35.

Has anyone found adderall or ritalin to help with just depression. I dont do well on ssri drugs. Will doctors prescribe this for depression?

I am curious as I seem to be low on dopamine. I tried some of my son's old adderall and I feel wonderful like the fog has lifted from my brain. With the shorter half life I dont see how the IR could effect sleep. I dont even have the anxiety like I did on wellbutrin. Weird.

Just curious on opinions. Thanks

Hi mel, i had the same question for my doctor. I guess i should first say i've been diagnosed bp, but i told my doctor being completely honest that I have taken them in the past when i was in school. And they gave me energy of course... but the crash is equally bad if not worse. I only mentioned it because a psychologist i was seeing had suggested i get tested for add. But my doctor on the other hand wasn't in favor of it. I might have said too much though and he just thought i wanted them to get a buzz. That's not it. I'm wary of it myself because of the addiction factor, but i'm really struggling with motivation right now.

I hope your situation works out well, and I'd be curious of others' thoughts on it too.

Hi mel, i had the same question for my doctor. I guess i should first say i've been diagnosed bp, but i told my doctor being completely honest that I have taken them in the past when i was in school. And they gave me energy of course... but the crash is equally bad if not worse. I only mentioned it because a psychologist i was seeing had suggested i get tested for add. But my doctor on the other hand wasn't in favor of it. I might have said too much though and he just thought i wanted them to get a buzz. That's not it. I'm wary of it myself because of the addiction factor, but i'm really struggling with motivation right now.

I hope your situation works out well, and I'd be curious of others' thoughts on it too.

That is the thing I know there is an addiction factor but I hear ritalin was originally used for depression. They sure gave it to my 5 year old although he does better with the non stimulants.

I just responded well to wellbutrin which is similar to them in that it increases dopamine. It just has a longer half life. If nothing works I cant undrestand why a doctor would not be willing to try it. I have had less anxiety today taking this then with wellbutrin...weird??

I just find it ODD that they can shell it out to children so easily. My son could not tolerate it...made him angry as hell.

If I knew the SR Wellutrin at 100mg would not cause insomnia once a day and work I would give it another try. But I am not going to go up on seroquel something I need to be off of as I am Addicted to it I dont care what they say..12 years and I have tried twice to go off of it. Withdrawals are absolute hell just to have wellbutrin work.

My depression is mostly linked to fatigue and lack of motivation.

My doctor would not prescribe the amphetamines because of the addiction and tolerance building factors of the drug.

For Tolerance do you mean you need more for the same effect...does this happen in everyone reason I ask is because of the people that take it for ADHD how do they respond....do they necesarrily need more. The way I understand the med is that there is no withdraw reactions. Maybe I am wrong?

I never even had withdraw from wellbutrin...The SSRI's is another sad story though.

I feel like my dopamine is low in my brain...maybe long term use of seroquel. I am trying to keep it low under 50 so it wont affect dopamine at least I hope so.

I have a feeling my doctor wont either but it is worth a chance asking. I guess.

Edited by melpointy

Yes melpointy, he said I would build a tolerance to it as most people do and will need larger doses. Another common complaint among people is after several months the drug no longer provides the "good feeling" it did in the beginning. He said it is a poor long term solution, with addiction risks. He said it is the dopamine reward that is similar to cocain and alcohol type highs that feels so good, and speed does the same thing.

He jokingly said: you could just become a illegal drug addict and get the same rush too, that would alleviate your depression temporarily as well.... So, now I have a better understand that these amphetamines are no real solution to serious major depression, and more likely a pathway too more trouble.

Tolerance is a problem with adhd people too, plus they suffer from negative affects such as slowly losing the affect of increased concentration which may be replaced with nervousness, irritability, physical health problems, and some even start to become depressed and need ad's eventually. :rolleyes:

Have you talked to your doc about dopamine reuptake treatment options ? There are safer drugs that target dopamine as long term treatment type solution .

I have to disagree about what others have said about Adderal. I think it can help for depression in combination with an SSRI. It's not speed but its in the amphetamines category like wellbutrin is. The tolerance is the same than others ADs in my opinion.

Yes melpointy, he said I would build a tolerance to it as most people do and will need larger doses. Another common complaint among people is after several months the drug no longer provides the "good feeling" it did in the beginning. He said it is a poor long term solution, with addiction risks. He said it is the dopamine reward that is similar to cocain and alcohol type highs that feels so good, and speed does the same thing.

He jokingly said: you could just become a illegal drug addict and get the same rush too, that would alleviate your depression temporarily as well.... So, now I have a better understand that these amphetamines are no real solution to serious major depression, and more likely a pathway too more trouble.

Tolerance is a problem with adhd people too, plus they suffer from negative affects such as slowly losing the affect of increased concentration which may be replaced with nervousness, irritability, physical health problems, and some even start to become depressed and need ad's eventually. :rolleyes:

Have you talked to your doc about dopamine reuptake treatment options ? There are safer drugs that target dopamine as long term treatment type solution .

I am starting to second guess them anyways I felt awful last night and my blood pressure felt like it went through the roof!

I wish my insurance covered provigil at least for some alertness in the morning.

I might just try some alternative therapies. I take l tyrosine but maybe I need to up the dosage it is a precursor to dopamine and norepinephrine.

This is all so frustrating.

The more I read about the stimulants the more I worry because I dont think the effect will last for one like you guys said and tolerance issue.

Are there any other meds besides wellbutrin that target dopamine though?

There are other drugs including anti-psychotic meds like ability that target dopamine and have shown to be useful for severe depression. I have been taking Mucuna Dopa for 5 days at 400mg. the last two I have noticed some vivid dreams accompanied by deeper sleep cycles. BUT, falling a sleep is a little more difficult, so today I am cycling of it until tomorrow. I also believe it has calmed my withdrawal symptoms fro the viibryd, brain zaps have been much weaker as compared to other times I've come off ad's.

Also, do you take Omega3 fish oil? I started 8 years ago for knee pain, not only did it help my knee pain but it gradually helped my depression to a limited degree. I didn't even know it could do that, evidently omega3 provides some important nutrient's to our brains that help fight depression.

Here is a list of dopamine drugs, it even shows Yohimbe as a dopamine antagonist, I had no idea!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dopaminergic_drugs

There are other drugs including anti-psychotic meds like ability that target dopamine and have shown to be useful for severe depression. I have been taking Mucuna Dopa for 5 days at 400mg. the last two I have noticed some vivid dreams accompanied by deeper sleep cycles. BUT, falling a sleep is a little more difficult, so today I am cycling of it until tomorrow. I also believe it has calmed my withdrawal symptoms fro the viibryd, brain zaps have been much weaker as compared to other times I've come off ad's.

Also, do you take Omega3 fish oil? I started 8 years ago for knee pain, not only did it help my knee pain but it gradually helped my depression to a limited degree. I didn't even know it could do that, evidently omega3 provides some important nutrient's to our brains that help fight depression.

Here is a list of dopamine drugs, it even shows Yohimbe as a dopamine antagonist, I had no idea!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dopaminergic_drugs

I took abilify briefly a few years ago and I could not stop moving..tremoring..not good.

Yes I do take fish oil.

The tyrosine is supposed to be a precursor to dopamine Ldopa. I took 3000mg this morning but found it was too much as I started getting heart racing then had to take a klonopin..of course now I am tired again. Cant win for loosing.

I see my doc tomorrow feel i am out of options

I find it weird that wellbutrin is the only dopamine drug.

Yohimbe..hmm interesting

Then I would specify the importance of a "dopamine drought"(my own terminology) to your doc and see what they think. I firmly believe it's a big factor in why we feel so little pleasure in anything, if any at all.

I take wellbutrin and ritalin. I also have ADD.This combo has worked for me for quite a while. I have to take my daily dose of wellbutrin by noon though or I have trouble sleeping. I also can't drink very much caffeine and I have to eat with it or I get the jitters. My dr said that both wellbutrin and ritalin inhibit the reuptake of dopamine in the brain. I'm not sure if drs prescribe stimulants for depression much anymore. I know they used to years ago. I think there is a forum on here about ADHD meds for treatment-resistant depression. I bet you also have ADHD since it can be genetic. It's never too late to be tested and the meds can make a dramatic difference in your life.

I've had a long, tortured history of treatment-resistance with SSRI's & antidepressants in general, myself. And I have to say that Adderall definitely helps me to a certain extent. I was on it for many years, then taken off it cold-turkey in early 2012. In late 2012 a doctor finally put me back on Adderall XR, which I take with Klonopin & Lamictal.

For me, being back on Adderall XR restored me to what I consider a minimal functional level (which is having the will to read books or set up my own doctor's appointments). It's not a cure-all, and it can be habit forming. I was overprescribed Adderall for many years, both regular and extended-release simultaneously. It was hell being taken off of it. Now I'm back on a small dose of just the XR.

If you're worried about tolerance, I would definitely suggest the extended-release over the regular release. With XR it's harder to get "ahead of schedule", so to speak. When I was on a high dose of regular release, I lost track of how many I popped.

The main problem I have with XR is that it wears out every day after a window of time, so I find myself getting depressed in the evening. But this is less so now that I'm taking it with the mood stabilizer Lamictal.