Sign in to follow this  
Blaze95

Lexapro: 10Mg Vs 20Mg.

Thursday April 16 Day 5 on 20 ml Lexapro (57 days / 8 weeks on 10 ml)

I have been on the initial 10 ml of lexapro for about 8 weeks. It has not seemed to have any noticeable effect on reducing my anxiety and depression. The crazy insomnia and related side affects did lessen around the 5 week mark, and my sleep returning to more normal. I did notice some very small improvements perhaps in overall mood around week 5 and 6. (Though not lasting)

Since upping the dosage of my medication these past few days, I have been MORE tired, and MORE unstable, and the Anxiety much stronger.

Today I slept for most the afternoon from 1 pm till 5:30 pm.
I have been more depressed again in recent days.

Moderate Nausea / Low Appetite / Higher Anxiety and Increased Depression / Higher fatigue.

* MY HEAD HURTS.

* I have arranged to return to work starting Wednesday NEXT WEEK. I hope I was not premature
with that decision.

From what I have read though it will take a few weeks to see any improvments?

Mark

Monday April 21 2014
( 57 days / 8 weeks on 10 ml - Day 8 on 20 ml Lexapro)

I did have my first noticeable more positive day in a long long time on Saturday.

I felt it Friday Night. "Lighter" more social, more interest in doing things. Then I did more on Saturday than I have done in a long time. Hung out with friends, went swimming, and did some long overdue cleaning and sorting through my things.

Sunday the anxiety crept back in and the head pressure too.

Today I slept for most the afternoon again.

I guess its still up and down.

Kind of a late reply but whatever.

I've been on Cipralex 10mg for 9 months now. I do sttruggle with depression, but anxiety and OCD are way larger problems for me. I found the medication worked really well for about 6 months and then things started to get dysfunctional again.

I just got put on 20mg a week ago .. and I definitely feel more relaxed. I don't feel like my head is spinning at 100000 miles per millisecond anymore.

The only thing I don't like is that I think I have gained about 15 pounds this year :verysad3:

Yes, I noticed a major improvement when I increased from 10mg to 20mg of escitalopram (Lexapro/Cipralex).

Many doctors increase from 10mg directly to 20mg for their patients, with no 15mg "ramp up" between.

Don't be afraid to increase from 10mg to 20mg if you and your doctor believe that the 10mg is not working well enough.

I was on 10mg of Cipralex for major anxiety and some depression from January 2014 to August 2014. I found some difference, but it took about 6 weeks before I noticed anything concrete.

Basically, SSRIs take longer to work due to the fact that they actually don't just increase your serotonin like people think they do. When we become depressed, we actually lose neural connections in our brains and neurons die. When we take anti-depressants, they repair these connections... which THEN allows us to produce more serotonin. This is why anti-depressants take weeks to work. If the chemical increase was the problem, you'd be better by day 1. Anyways.

Back in July, I found myself becoming really depressed and anxious again... so I went up to 20mg. So far, I'm doing okay. It "takes the edge off"... I have less meltdowns. But I still have a lot of anxiety, OCD issues and depression. But I just started psychotherapy a few weeks ago, so I want to wait a little to see if that helps.

I definitely still have really bad moments and days, but out of all the different anti-depressants I've taken, Cipralex has definitely been the best... even though I've gained 20 pounds in the last year.

My doctor described the 10mg dose as putting a pan of water on the stove and warming it up. He described 20mg as getting the pan to actually boil.

Hi,

First time poster (hoping its not an inappropriate question)...

I've been on Lexapro for a month now, 10mg for 3 weeks. Not too many negative side effects and it seems to be starting to improve my depression. My doctor has suggested I start on 20mg.

I have only one hesitation...whilst my libido hasn't decreased, on 10mg it takes me alot longer to finish the job when making love to my wife (if you get what I mean) and I haven't always managed to get there. I'm worried that upping the dose to 20mg will stop me being able to reach orgasm altogether.

Can anyone comment on this.

Thanks

Enrico.

I'm encouraged by those that have written that 20 mg was more beneficial than 10. I'm on my sixth day of lexapro (generic) 10 mg and my psychiatrist is moving me straight up to 20 mg after one week. Today is the first day I woke up feeling less groggy from the med.

This is my first experience with any antidepressant medication despite fighting depression for years and it's grown progressively worse. I'm glad I finally sought treatment and I hope this medication works. I don't want to start another one knowing the beginning side effects.