A New Look Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Blaze95

Lexapro: 10Mg Vs 20Mg.

Hey everyone, pretty simple question. For those of you who have adjusted your dosage, did you notice much improvement with 20mg compared to 10mg?
I've been on 10mg for 5 weeks now, and just not feeling that major boost yet that will allow me to cope with life. I dunno, maybe I should just wait another few weeks.

When I took Lexapro I my dose was increased to 20mg after two weeks, it worked well in my case, lex helped me a lot for almost three years.

I developed a tolerance to it and to switch meds.

Blaze, I would talk to your doctor about the dosage because younger bodies/systems process these meds very differently. 10mg could be a 20mg dose for you. Make sure you communicate clearly if there are bad side effects. Be forthright! :)

I was on 10 MG for 2+ years, and it was a lifesaver. In late Nov, and early December, I noticed some severe changes in my mood, depression, anxiety, and so on. Everyone has bad days, but this streak seemed to be different. So, I went to the doctor, and we agreed to increase my dosage to 20mg. I've been on 20mg now for about a month, and have noticed a difference. I feel much better, and I will probably stay on 20mg for the next few months, and then try to taper back to 10 mg.

I was on 10 MG for 2+ years, and it was a lifesaver. In late Nov, and early December, I noticed some severe changes in my mood, depression, anxiety, and so on. Everyone has bad days, but this streak seemed to be different. So, I went to the doctor, and we agreed to increase my dosage to 20mg. I've been on 20mg now for about a month, and have noticed a difference. I feel much better, and I will probably stay on 20mg for the next few months, and then try to taper back to 10 mg.

CSH611,

Did you have any side effects raising the dosage?

I've been on 10 mgs of Lexapro/Escitalopram for exactly 50 days. (6 weeks), and while I'm feeling just OK, I feel I could be more focused, and feel that I should be enjoying things and looking forward to things more than I am.

My doc said we will stay at 10mgs until February 4th when my next appointment is. If I feel I need a little boost, she will up me to 15mgs, and see how that goes. I am just wondering about increased side effects with increasing the dosage.

everyone's reactions to meds are different; you won't know unless you try. what does your dr say about increasing to 20mg? if he says it's okay for you then I guess trying a higher dose won't hurt. it might be helpful....

i noticed more energy and activation on 20mg than on 10mg.....in 10mg it was too sedating.....

I did we'll on 10mg but during stressful times of higher anxiety I would go up to 20mg and it was effective. I've recently tired to go up to 20ng after being down to 5mg fe awhile, then 10 for 3 weeks and 15 for 9 days, I found this time that 20mg was too much, or maybe the change was too much as everything git worse. 15 mg might be a good option if u discuss with your md. These meds are very difficult to dose, small amounts can make big changes and the time to notices those changes vary too. I'm struggling since dropping to 15mg. But I think it's just a matter of time till my body regulates and adjusts to the new dose

I was on 10 mg for about 4 weeks before my doctor moved me up to 20 mg. On 10 mg my depression was still there, even though I am on abilify and deplin for the depression as well. So she moved me up and I noticed my depression has pretty much been non-existant until a few days ago.. now it's back along with my anxiety. I did drink that day so can't say that it's the medication not working.

I started abilify and lexapro at the same time so I can't say which side effects are from which medication.

All in all I would say going from 10 mg to 20 mg really helped.

Bump.

Anyone had much improvement going from 10mg to 15mg? (Lexapro)

I see my psychiatrist tomorrow and he'll most likely be giving me an increase. I want to go to 20 but I reckon he'll just put me on 15, and I'm a bit worried that 5 difference won't be much change.

Well I've only been on 20 for 5 days so far, but already I can notice a major difference! Can't wait to see my progress at 4 and 8 weeks.

That's great! My doc upped me to 20mg last Friday. He had me taking 15mg in morning and 5mg at night, then slowly work my way to 20mg in the morning to fight off side effects. I can tell a difference for sure too! Today was my first day of taking all 20mg in the morning and I can def feel the start up anxiety, but it isn't to bad.

Keep us updated on how you are doing.

Exactly 3 weeks on 20mg tonight, and I'm feeling pretty good. Not at 100% yet, but I can function at school again. Won't surprise me if I see more improvements. :Coopyahoo:

Thanks for sharing your story blaze. I'm taking zoloft for anxiety and depression. It has helped me for the past 3 years, but due to recent events I have entered my worse depression episode so far. Upon increasing my dosage, I haven't noticed any improvements, and the side effects are just worse than before. I've been adjusting my zoloft dosage for the past 3 months with no positive results. I think it might be time for a switch. I've been reading a lot of good things about lexapro so I will talk to my GP about maybe swigching to that. Your story has given me hope. Thanks again.

Eric

Wow, haven't been on this site in awhile! Hope you are all doing well. :)

In case you're in the same situation that I was in, don't be afraid to increase your dosage if you feel it's necessary! It can make all the difference in the world!

hi everyone - long time browser - first time posting :)

My first time ever dealing with depression/anxiety/ptsd in my life this severe. Out of the blue i attempted to harm myself back in October that took me out of work and into my first treatment center. I have never been a medicine person, raised communally and to consume only what come from the earth. So traditional medicine has never really been for me, and that was my toughest battle once admitted.

I finally agreed to start taking Lexapro and they started me on 5mg for 5 days. Just that 5mg has me feeling VERY high, but that feeling tapered off quickly. Then they upped me to 10 mg and i didn't notice the difference. I was released from treatment and was upped to 20 mg and was high as kite again for a couple of days, which really scared me. my doctor took me down to 15mg and then brought me back up to 20 mg week later.

so it can vary for each individual , and obviously for me it was the sudden increase that made me it uncomfortable for me. So if my meds need to be adjusted again, i know I need to go about it gradually. My doc also prescribed me Adavant to take when panic attacks arise. I try to handle it myself with different cognitive behaviors, but normally have to take one every now and then.

Just remember to be honest and upfront about everything with your doc since this makes it easier for them to help you. You never know if you are holding back any info that may be helpful to you and your treatment.