Imperfect Fictional Characters We Admire

While there is much clultural glorification of perfectionism, I find it interesting that some of the most memorable and inspiring fictional characters in literature and cinema are deeply flawed. Who is an "imperfect" character you like from literature or the cinema?

I am thinking of "Elwood P. Dowd" [played by actor Jimmie Stewart] and his imaginary friend, "Harvey" for starters.

Veronica Mars from the show Veronica Mars(Duh huh?). She was imperfect for a main character. She made mistakes, was judgemental and even though she was kind she had a mean streak from time to time just like a real person.

I am thinking now of two television police detectives:

Adrian Monk, who suffers from OCD and multiple phobios

and

Lt. Colombo, who dresses in a dishelved raincoat and drives a beat up, distressed Peugeot car. He is portrayed by Peter Falk as absentminded [seemingly], pensive, bumbling, pestering.

I really loved the character of Charlie from" The Perks Of Being A Wallflower" book.That book really spoke to me.I just thought it was really so very beautiful.It`s become one of my favorite books.

Also the Enid character from "Ghost World"(the movie version).Though not that cynical.

Daria(the animated series)My nephew was watching this with my sister and he said I was just like Daria.I thought it was funny but so true lol!My cousin also used to call me Daria

Darlene from Roseanne my cousins started calling me that when she started wearing all black ect.I was really like that I must admit.Anyway Roseanne is one of my favorite shows.

Mac from One Flew Over The Cukoo`s Nest I read the book and have seen the movie.They keep trying to break him but he doesn`t let them until...I won`t give away the ending(in case).But anyway Jack Nicholson was super cool in that film.

A well-drawn character is like an actual human being: complex, flawed, and interesting. There are so many characters I could mention here--everyone from Harry Potter to Holden Caulfield. Some of my favorite characters come from obscure books that I was given as gifts along time ago. This is an interesting topic; I'll have to give it more thought, actually, just to narrow down my choices. Two that come to the top of my head right now are Amir from the Kite Runner and The Burned Man from The Gargoyle.

Me too. It was fun seeing Falk and McGoohan work together too. They were friends in real life. I read that Falk had to sort of cajole McGoohan into doing the paperwork to submit himself for an Emmy Award. Both are missed! McGoohan also directed some "Columbo" episodes. I think the Falk/McGoohan episodes were the best.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Richard Sharpe from Sharpe, he often doesnt have the fancy words and

money of the other officers who have purchased their commisions but he is loyal to his friends in battle

both on and off the field, protects the innocent and has a chivarous nature with regards to women.

• 2 weeks later...

Major Harry Cargill [played by Richard Basehart], accused of cowardice in a military thriller called "Time Limit" directed by actor Karl Malden. The drama also has a good fictional character in Col. William Edwards [played by Richard Widmark] who has contradictory feelings about Cargill. The movie deals with ideals and the hierarchy of ideals and how one ideal can conflict with that of another. It reminds me of the Greek play "Medea" by Euripedes. Major Cargill is torn between conflicting ideals.