Anyone Has Experience With Gabapentin ?

Hello everybody,

My psychiatrist has weaned me off xanax slowly and put me on Seroquel for anxiety and insomnia.

last week I told him that i still experience awful anxiety specially in the morning so he put me on this drug " Gabapentin ".

when he told me it's an anti-convulsions/mood stabalizer drug i freaked out because i had a horrible experience with Lamictal " also an anti-convulsions/mood stabilizer" it was by far the worst psychiatric medication I have tried " and I have tried MANY".then he assured me Gabapentin isn't the same as Lamictal and is supposed to help with anxiety.

I looked it up and most posts were from people using this drug for pain related disorders not psychiatric disorder...

so far i have noticed ( shortness of breath irregular heart beats and forgetfulness )

Has anyone been on this drug ? any suggestions would be appreciated..

Happy holidays

Edited by Tamer

Dear Tamer,

I know Gabapentin well as an AED medication and it is often used in mental health for anxiety or related issues. Personally I must say it would not be my first choice of medication for anxiety, but some psychistrists do like to use it.

It does sound like you are having unacceptable side effects so do go and see your psychistrist about reviewing your medication.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Dear Tamer,

I know Gabapentin well as an AED medication and it is often used in mental health for anxiety or related issues. Personally I must say it would not be my first choice of medication for anxiety, but some psychistrists do like to use it.

It does sound like you are having unacceptable side effects so do go and see your psychistrist about reviewing your medication.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Thanks Jim Bow for the quick reply

why wouldn't it be your first choice ? what did you hate about it ? for how long did you use it ? if I may ask..

I don't wanna be quick to judge the drug as all meds have side effects, it's just the forgetfulness/short term memory impairment side effect that I cant stand, it's scary and anxiety provoking on it's own.

Hi,

I take gabapentin along with my zoloft/abilify

combo and it helps tremendously with insomnia

and some with anxiety for me. Nothing beats

xanax for me for anxiety but I know its not for

long-term use.

Hope the gabapentin works for you.

Merry Christmas,

starr

Hi,

I take gabapentin along with my zoloft/abilify

combo and it helps tremendously with insomnia

and some with anxiety for me. Nothing beats

xanax for me for anxiety but I know its not for

long-term use.

Hope the gabapentin works for you.

Merry Christmas,

starr

Does it cause you any cognitive impairment if taken during day time for example ? like forgetfulness and difficulty concentrating ?

Thanks a lot

No I.have never had any

Negative side effects from

It. Unfortunately for

Extreme anxiety I still

Need my xanax but

All in all its a good med

For me.

Best wishes

starr

I know what you mean, after my psychiatrist weaned me off of Xanax he asked me to never use it again because " according to him" Seroquel XR and Remeron are doing the job, but I don't think they do, maybe they clam me down throughout the day in general but when I face a very stressful situation or have a panic attack I still need my Xanax.

anyway thank you so much, Merry Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Tamer,

Just wondering what schedule your psychiatrist used to wean you off Xanax? My doctor prescribed me 22.5mg Remeron and 1mg Xanax extended release, which worked great for my anxiety and insomnia, but the Xanax is starting to lose some efficacy. I was then prescribed 50mg Seroquel to help me taper from the Xanax but so far I've not been able to sleep when I've tried to cut down on the Xanax. I went back to my doctor today and she suggested Gabapentin but I'm nervous about this new medicine too. My main concern is to get off the Xanax before I become completely dependent on it and I'm just wondering how you were able to do it successfully. Thanks!

I've been taking Gabapenten since 2003. Initially is was prescribed for a neurological disorder (which is lifetime.) My new pdoc considered it a mild mood stabilizer and kept me on it. It is no longer an FDA approved psychiatric drug in the USA even though there are pdocs who continue to prescribe it. Initially, I had some cognitive impairment as I started it and slowly increased the dose to 2400mg. It did nothing for my anxiety and it did not make me sleepy.

My neurologist has taken over the prescribing of this med, which my pdoc was very happy about. I',m down to 1600mg and my neurological issue is still stable.

Sheepwoman

Tamer,

Just wondering what schedule your psychiatrist used to wean you off Xanax? My doctor prescribed me 22.5mg Remeron and 1mg Xanax extended release, which worked great for my anxiety and insomnia, but the Xanax is starting to lose some efficacy. I was then prescribed 50mg Seroquel to help me taper from the Xanax but so far I've not been able to sleep when I've tried to cut down on the Xanax. I went back to my doctor today and she suggested Gabapentin but I'm nervous about this new medicine too. My main concern is to get off the Xanax before I become completely dependent on it and I'm just wondering how you were able to do it successfully. Thanks!

i'm sorry for the late response, I just saw your reply.

Don't worry you aren't taking too much Xanax so tapering off wont be so difficult, Seroquel and Remeron knock me out like no other drug and since I was mainly using the Xanax for insomnia, it wasn't too hard to give it up.

I used to be on 3 mg immediate release, For the first week I took 1 mg pill after each meal, the second weak I took 1 mg pill twice after lunch and after dinner, and the third week I took 1 mg before bed.

basically that's what my psychiatrist asked me to do but i didnt really stick to the schedule, for instance during the first week.. I didn't need to take 3 mg pills everyday.

you can still taper off slower than that, like go for 0.5mg and 0.25mg.

Good luck

Gabapentin worked a little for anxiety for me, then pooped out after about a month or two. Works really well for some people long-term without pooping out. Depends on the person. Also helped insomnia a little for me. It can be a good drug. Never go cold-turkey off Gabapentin, however, because it can trigger seizures like Xanax, including in people who have never had seizures before.

Edited by TrappedWithOCD

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been on Gabapentin, for a few yrs, and Love it. I take it with Wellbutrin. It has helped my anxiety, and kept me calm and happy. I have had No Weight Gain at all. I have lost weight on it. For me, it is a wonderful med, doesn't make me sleepy, spacey, or depressed.