Sign in to follow this  
LNR28

Zoloft And Abilify Or Wellbutrin

Hi everyone, this is my first post:) My question is in regards to adding Abilify to Zoloft. Can someone share their experiences with me? My doctor advised me to add this to my 150mg of Zoloft and I'm scared. I was on the Wellbutrin/Zoloft combo for years and I did just okay. I got off the Wellbutrin due to weight gain...ans I've been doing okay but the depression is creeping up. My doc doesn't want to go back on the wellbutrin because I really wasn't 100% but the last time I tried something new I had a complete breakdown. However, I did feel better than I do now on the Wellbutrin...just 15 lbs lighter. Sorry for talking in circles I'm just really nervous. Thank you!!

Hi LNR,

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any experiences with those medications but there is a Zoloft subforum which you might want to post a thread in there as well as they will probably have some more advice.

The link to this subforum is: http://www.depressio...ral-sertraline/

Best of luck and I hope you find out what works for you.

I took Zoloft once I did "okay" on it...not that big of a difference really. I take Wellbutrin now and honestly I can't see much difference. They put me on it b/c it was suppose to make me feel more energetic, but it hasn't. The best I have found was Cymbalta and Effexor.

Thanks for the reply! How long have you been on Wellbutrin? Yes I didn't feel the "energy" they promised but anything was better than being stuck in that depression spiral. I lived with just being okay for like 4 years now. What made you switch from cymbalta and Effexor?

I've been on Wellbutrin for probably two years now. Before that I was on another generic of somekind, I forget the name, but it was doing no good at all, so they put me on Wellbutrin to help with the depression side of it and the low energy. Although I still get depressed, Wellbutrin helps keep me from getting severely depressed to where I'm suicidal, up all night and can't function at all. When I was still working, I originally was taking Effexor and it worked okay, so before I went on disability I went to the free clinic and they gave me cymbalta & it was free. It worked pretty good. My mood was good and I had some energy. But once I got on disability I got medicare and with my prescription co pays I can't afford the cymbalta there's no generic for it. It's in the high tier payment it's $45 a month alone and with all my other meds too I can't afford it. I also take risperdone for mood, then adivan (as needed) for anxiety then I take high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds, plus topamax to help prevent me getting so many migraines...then of course there's my birth control, so with all these meds I spend about $65 a month with generics. I've also been taking Vitamin D, B Complex and Fish Oil with DHA for about two months to help with energy, but haven't really noticed much difference thus far. I would think two months is plenty of time for it to work. I'm thinking I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Well, You should definty talk to your dr on what meds you felt best on. I am telling my dr today about the medication i am on and its not working. I am on 150mg welbutrin and it isnt helping. If you dont mind what are you taking these meds for?

I was on zoloft and abilify worked great exept for sexual side effects. Switched to wellbutrin and abilify and isnt working as well. Your mileage may vary...

I once had the combination of Abilify and Cymbalta and it worked pretty good. I am taking meds for Bipolar II. I spend most of my time on the depression end of it though. My hypomania isn't like it use to be since I'm on meds, now it's more in the form of irritibility and seemingly "normal" like days.. I just never have any energy. The Wellbutrin works so/so for me, but again, does not help at all with my energy levels. I wish I could try Cymbalta again, but I just can't afford it. It really sucks that you have to go through taking all these meds to find the right one, but if you can find the right one, it's great.

I've never been on Wellbutrin, but I took Abilify and it makes me feel OK, I guess. Sometimes I have no feelings at all, which is kinda scary, but overall, it was pretty crappy.

(My combo right now is Lithium/Zoloft, though, and I like it a lot)

Good luck!

Edited by sydneyy

I was on abilify + cymbalta once, I think the abilify made my memory so bad and absent minded that I lost my job due to it. Should have been called de-abilify. When you get on it make sure to quintuple check everything you do, I think that stuff really screwed with me.

Thank you everyone for your input. I still haven't started it and my doctor still is assuring me I will be OK. I suffer from general depression and anxiety so at first I thought the ability was too hard core for me but we shall see. NO sexual side effects with the Wellbutrin...and since I have been off of it my memory is totally shot. However again it just worked "OK" w depression nothing great.

The worse med I tried was Seroquel. It made me so sleepy all day I could barely function. I couldn't keep my eyes open, it was like I was in a daze all day...like a zombie. So I got off that stuff real quick. I don't love, but I like my current combo Risperdone/Wellbutrin/Adivan it does okay. I do feel the emotionally blunting everyone talks about, but it's better than the deep depression and suicidal thoughts I'd have without it. I have moments that are just okay. I would like know what real joy & happiness feels like someday.

Totally understand...sometimes I feel like it doesn't exist anymore and I am just getting through days by counting down until the time I get to go to sleep. However, I dont sleep most of the time. My Dad is Bipolar II and he is on Seroquel and although it works he says he does the craziest stuff on it. Chews his blanket in the middle of the night..extreme kicking in his sleep. It sucks..but the blanket part is funny. I dont know what to do...go back on a med where i was just "OK"--the wellbutrin--or try something new in hopes I will feel alot better. Ugh you know how the first two weeks of taking a new med goes...so not looking forward to that :(

Hi LNR28,

Not sure if it's helpful or not because I'm on such a lower dosage than your doctor recommended for you, but I've been taking 25 mgs of Zoloft for about 2 weeks now and havent seen any effects. My psychologist did say that SSRI's usually take around a month to set in and start showing positive effects, but with Wellbutrin the effects are seen much quicker. It seems to me though from what I've read in these forums and on med sites that Zoloft is the more effective of the two.

Best of luck!

My combo of meds are Bupropion (Wellbutrin, with no weight loss, little would be nice though) 300mg in the AM, Mirtazapine 2-15mg PM, and lorazepam 1-2 PM, also during the day if need be. So far this has been working for me.

Hi

Im on Zoloft and abilify and it has helped me tremendously. My depression is completely gone and I feel great. Im on 150 of Zoloft and 5mg of abilify.

I've been.on these meds for a long time and this is the best combo I've ever had.

Best wishes

Starr

I was on 200 mg of zoloft for over two years. Experimented by adding Wellbutrin....no effect there. I've since switched to 100 mg Pristiq, added 5 mg Abilify, 40 mg Vyvanse, and 15mg l-methylfolate. I realize this is definitely a case of polypharmacy, but to be honest this is actually the least amount of meds I've ever STABILIZED on. I felt the most profound effects in conjunction with adding the Abilify and Vyvanse. This leads me to believe that I may be on to something with dopamine agents (Wellbutrin, Abilify, Vyvanse). While Wellbutrin didn't do much for me, Abilify and Vyvanse have been great together. When I wake up, I definitely don't feel like getting out of bed, but if I can just manage to take my meds, the Vyvanse has me ready to go within an hour. The Abilify appears to have a smoothing effect that keeps me well balanced. All-in-all, I'm very pleased with how I've been feeling for the last week or so (started Abilify about three weeks ago). Obviously, everyone is different here, but I just want to put it out there that if you've tried Wellbutrin and it hasn't worked, consider a Vyvanse/Abilify combo or even adding just Abilify. Talk to your pdoc. It's really helped me!

~Best