What Are You Proud Of Today?

Rainahblue

I actually made the effort to hang out with people and had the courage to speak up when I was ready to leave when I got too anxious. I didn't give into the cravings I was dealing with. Got plenty of exercise. Overall it was quite the good day.

As bad as I feel I can say that I had a small smirk on my face when I made my dad giggle. Unintentionally. So I'm proud that I made him giggle. He giggled because I asked him if he knew what I was wearing. He looked confused as if it were a trick question. "A shiiiirt..?" I said No it's a skirt but I am wearing it as a shirt. He giggled and I pranced off. ^.^

I got on top of my anxiety over emailing/letting people know I suffer from depression and was actually able to let my advisor know that I wasn't feeling well last friday (and thus didn't show up for a meeting), and that I'd be in the office tomorrow. I didn't say it was due to my depression, but just emailing him about not feeling well was a step in the right direction.

The last time this happened I was so anxious over responding I avoided checking my email for a week (and the first time it happened I didn't check my email for over two months....).

I've quit drinking. It's been almost a month. I am happy about that, but I feel like a failure because I shouldn't be happy to quit since I shouldn't of started in the first place. Does that make any sense?

Makes a lot of sense, actually. But I think remembering that we are not the people we were yesterday brings up a good point; sometimes we do or make decisions we either don't know or know will hurt us. But it's impossible for the person we are now to go back in time and slap some sense into past you, and it falls into the category of things beyond your control (and thus should be less of a focus than what is in your control, like maintaining sobriety).

Today I am very proud of the programming I've been able to get done - for the past two weeks I very quickly downspiraled, and today is the first big day that I've noticed myself feeling a bit more like "me".

Met with my ex-fiance and was more open and honest with him than I've been in forever. I don't know what will happen--I went in hoping just for friendship--but we had a great day despite some tears and deep conversation. The possibility of reconciliation looks promising at this moment. Trying to not get ahead of myself though.

I'm proud of not seeing "non life-or-death matters" as matters of life-or-death.

A few years ago that would have seemed trivial. I thought so many things were life-or-death.

I now see more than before that things in my past which seemed to be matters of life-or-death were far from it and don't merit the shame or guilt and loss of self-esteem I credited them with. And I also see a little better that things I worry about in the future which seem like matters of life-or-death are far far away from that too.

I mean really . . . only matters of life-or-death are matters of life-or-death. What a relief!

• 2 weeks later...