What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It? #2

Trace

Ghost in the Shell.

Entertaining sci-fi. Maybe predictable to some. It had a decent story, good special effects and Scarlett Johannson. I liked it and didn't think it was nearly as bad as the critics slammed it. Would have been cool in 3D at the theater but costs a lot less to just rent the video.

• 3 weeks later...

Dunkirk

Watched it alone in IMAX 70mm. Maybe not the greatest movie to watch during a high-anxiety period because it's very stressful. I felt exhausted by the end. The soundtrack + sound effects alone are very jarring. A few times I teared up but not an overly sentimental movie.

Also, I have been annoyed with singer-actors since Lady Gaga won over Kirsten Dunst last year at the GGs, and more recently Ed Sheeran's ham-fisted cameo in GoT, but Harry Styles did a great job here. No sense of "ayyy, I'm Harry Styles lmao."

7.5/10

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

spoilers

I'm not really crazy about what they did with Yondu's character. In the first movie, Yondu is presented as a selfish, violent, immoral pr*ck who just uses Peter Quill's character for his own gains instead of following through on his own word. 

Now in movie #2 we're supposed to believe he's really this great dad with unselfish motives and a big heart?  I'm sorry, maybe I missed all that in the first movie....

Now I realize that virtually anyone can be a great dad in comparison to Ego, but still.  I felt like there wasn't enough there to base such a big change in viewpoint on regarding Yondu.  Maybe the director forgot it ended up on the cutting room floor...

• 1 month later...

I think Michael Bay relies waaaaay too much on explosions and visual effects. That said, I saw Transformers: The Last Knight.

The movie itself takes on myths and then combines them with the story..which made NO sense to me, though I did like a certain something appearing in the movie. But yeah, lots of explosions, death death death, and Optimus Prime pretty much being the "Goku" of this movie series in that, he only shows up after everyone has either been killed or got their ***** kicked. Which is contrast to the cartoon series, where he's always there.

Edited by Twilight Sky

• 2 weeks later...

Blade Runner 2049

I love the original, one of very few in recent years that became an instant classic for me.

BR2049 is too long (in an unpleasant way, as I really liked the pacing of the original).

My favorite scenes were within the hustle and bustle of L.A. (fantastic visuals), but the movie spent most of the time in desolate and misty landscapes.

This movie also was sorely lacking the 50s noir vibe of the original.

Some kid in front of me leaving the theatre said this was the weirdest movie he'd ever seen, which made me smile. I don't think I would have liked the original BR if I had watched it as a kid, let alone BR2049.

England Is Mine was the last movie I saw. It was a movie about Mr. Steven Patrick Morrissey. In case you don`t know. Morrissey was the lead singer and wrote lyrics for the band called The Smiths.He is also known for his very excellent solo work. Anyway the movie focused on his years before The Smiths. I know it wasn`t 100% accurate and his sister said it did not go down like that at all but I found the film interesting. It made me a little sad while watching it especially the parts about his battle with depression.I guess I related to that a little bit. Anyway it was an interesting watch.

Edited by Lady Mozzer

On 07/10/2017 at 8:24 PM, Nisemono said:

Manchester by the Sea was very overrated. Wasn't even set in Manchester. Eh up me old pudding duck! 'Erd ya burnt down yonder house. Which is how they speak in Manchester, probably. And Manchester is landlocked. How can it be by the sea? And why does everyone have an American accent? Seriously though it wasn't that great. I'd disagree with you on Guardians of the Galaxy however.

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Same loveable characters with a rubbish storyline. I wish they wouldn't get so carried away with things exploding. The special effects should accomodate the story, not the other way around. Not as bad as the second Avengers movie but the people who wrote the jokes deserve their pay while whoever wrote the overarching storyline deserves a kick in the nuts (or a kick in the beef curtains. Don't mean to sound sexist.)

When it comes to Manchester by the Sea, I can't help feeling mislead. The front and back of the DVD case was plastered with glowing reviews so I was expecting more. It was a great performance by Casey Affleck, though. I often want to punch people, too.

Just don't think I get GOTG. Felt generic. 

Blade Runner 2049. 

Great cinematic experience. Strikes a successful balance of paying respect and reverence to the original, but has the courage to be its own film. Was so overwhelmed by the visuals I need to see it again to focus more on the dialogue and themes.

Edited by Mark250

48 minutes ago, Mark250 said:

Blade Runner 2049. 

Great cinematic experience. Strikes a successful balance of paying respect and reverence to the original, but has the courage to be its own film. Was so overwhelmed by the visuals I need to see it again to focus more on the dialogue and themes.

Would you say it's worth watching if you haven't seen the first film? (And don't care enough to back-watch it before heading to the cinema for the new one?) I've never seen Blade Runner, but I keep hearing good things about this one and I'm in need of a good sci-fi flick.

46 minutes ago, All Plaid Out said:

Would you say it's worth watching if you haven't seen the first film? (And don't care enough to back-watch it before heading to the cinema for the new one?) I've never seen Blade Runner, but I keep hearing good things about this one and I'm in need of a good sci-fi flick.

I'd say you could just about get away with skipping the original, but will have a lesser experience for it. The original is well worth watching, though.

I saw "God's Pocket" the other day, about the broken marriage of two people, and the death of the woman's son. Philip Seymour Hoffman was flawless as a low life who completely messes up everything in his life. If nothing else, the film was sad and very interesting. Also kind of violent and disturbing at times.

I also watched "Amorous" about four young people who decide to live a very unconventional life together. It was well done, although non climatic. 

Atomic Blonde.

Charlize Theron.  She rocks. The end!

James Bond has a female counter part with a seriously bad attitude... Sex, drugs, rock-n-roll, shooting, hand to hand combat, car chases, politics, spies, twisting plot, great soundtrack!

Coming out on DVD before the end of the month. I'll be buying a copy. You don't need a movie theatre screen for the special effects but a big tv would be nice. My favorite movie so far this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-10-11 at 6:58 PM, Mark250 said:

Blade Runner 2049. 

Agreed.

On 2017-10-11 at 7:49 PM, All Plaid Out said:

If u haven’t read the novel “do androids dream of electric sheep “ nor seen the first bladerunner I think there are parts that will be hard to wrap your head around. But u could read the Wikipedia articles of the book and first movie rather than read/watch them if U prefer. 

Saw bladerunner yesterday. Very cool. I’m a huge Philip k d**k fan. As a person who has suffered depression I really felt the themes of isolation and numbness and pointlessness in the film. All that being said I kind of have a pet peeve of movies that are three hours long unnecessarily. I get they wanted it to be a deeper story and not a glitzy action movie but still, there was a lot of scenes that could have been wrapped up a few minutes earlier and cutting like thirty minutes out of the film would have made it better not worse.  Amazing picture and cinematography tho. 

On 10/18/2017 at 5:46 PM, In2deep4me said:

Atomic Blonde.

Charlize Theron.  She rocks. The end!

James Bond has a female counter part with a seriously bad attitude... Sex, drugs, rock-n-roll, shooting, hand to hand combat, car chases, politics, spies, twisting plot, great soundtrack!

Coming out on DVD before the end of the month. I'll be buying a copy. You don't need a movie theatre screen for the special effects but a big tv would be nice. My favorite movie so far this year.

Hey thanks for posting this.  I was wondering should I watch it, now I will! :)

Live with/raising 12 yr old nephew, so I must sit through everything from Guardians of the Galaxy to all the Marvel movies and DC stuff.  I actually don't mind, but this last movie I sat through was hard - Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (soundtrack rocked tho!).  Movie was way too long!  Nephew loved it.  My eyes started to glaze over.  But he enjoyed it so, that's all that matters. :)

Edited by HeatherG

On 10/18/2017 at 4:38 PM, Natasha1 said:

Just finished Rings. I didnt expect much but i loved it. Better than both previous Ring movies as they took care with the storyline.

Awesome ending too.

Better than the one with Naomi Watts?  Whoa, I'll be checking this out.  Thank you! :)