What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It? #2

Trace

In the theater: Penguins of Madagascar, with my son. Cute and cuddly, boys...cute and cuddly! Clever and well-done. John Malkovich as the voice of the evil octopus 'Mike' is one of the film's highlights.

At home: the Alien tetralogy, in one sitting (Alien, Aliens, Alien3,clien Resurrection)...best horror/SciFi series of all time, IMHO

Edited by LonelyHiker

Wild.

Slow, but as a depressed and introspective person I enjoyed Cheryl's battle to forgive herself and purify herself of her past. Our past makes us who we are and I hate some of the choices I made but they brought me here.

Wish I could do something as bold but I'm a slug.

Anyone else see this movie?

I have not, but would like to; big outdoors person (as my screen name suggests!), have hiked big stretches of the AT, never been on the PC trail. Plus I'm a big fan of Reese Witherspoon. This movie sounds similar to Into the Wild, which I liked, more or less, even if I thought the guy was a bit dumb trudging off into the Alaskan interior with nothing but a bag of rice and a pellet gun :/

The Hobbit and it was awesome! Would go see it again. Action packed and in 3D

Really want to see this in the theater - saw the first two at home on my modest 32" t.v. and with movies of this kind of scope and grandeur,that just doesn't do them justice.

Yes you are right i saw the first two on tv -- seeing the movie on the big screen was spectacular

In the theater: Penguins of Madagascar, with my son. Cute and cuddly, boys...cute and cuddly! Clever and well-done. John Malkovich as the voice of the evil octopus 'Mike' is one of the film's highlights.

At home: the Alien tetralogy, in one sitting (Alien, Aliens, Alien3,clien Resurrection)...best horror/SciFi series of all time, IMHO

Gosh i saw aliens quite a few times on big screen --- loved it

The Awakening, and, Cherry Blossoms. The Awakening was a perfectly fine late night veg movie. Yes, there are plot holes and a frantic ending, but it did the job. It looked great and the actors were good.

Cherry Blossoms is a lovely little film. It is all about the characters in the movie, so don't expect " action ". It will be one I watch again.

• 2 weeks later...

The Invention of Lying. A pretty funny exercise in shameless wish fulfillment, double standards and general blatant shallowness of the non-ironic kind. Why could Jennifer Garner's character not have gotten some terrible disease that would have left her terribly disfigured that would have cost her all her fortune so she would learn what it's like to be a so called loser and then the love Ricke Gervais had for her would have been put to the ultimate test.

But I guess that wouldn't have been interesting. Women characters are only good for romantic interests and should stay that way and have no other motivators than babies. A shallow woman wants to marry a shallow guy and it's all: No don't marry him he's so shallow. A shallow fat guy wants to marry a hot shallow chick and it's all: go you you deserve it after all the other success you're character has had earlier!

Don't get me wrong it's perfectly enjoyable. You can criticise a piece of medium and enjoy it at the same time, ask Anita Sarkeesian.

I mean, wouldn't it have been just great if Jennifer Garner had married the homeless guy after learning to be less shallow?

/Proud feminazi that should be making movies

The Invention of Lying. A pretty funny exercise in shameless wish fulfillment, double standards and general blatant shallowness of the non-ironic kind. Why could Jennifer Garner's character not have gotten some terrible disease that would have left her terribly disfigured that would have cost her all her fortune so she would learn what it's like to be a so called loser and then the love Ricke Gervais had for her would have been put to the ultimate test.

But I guess that wouldn't have been interesting. Women characters are only good for romantic interests and should stay that way and have no other motivators than babies. A shallow woman wants to marry a shallow guy and it's all: No don't marry him he's so shallow. A shallow fat guy wants to marry a hot shallow chick and it's all: go you you deserve it after all the other success you're character has had earlier!

Don't get me wrong it's perfectly enjoyable. You can criticise a piece of medium and enjoy it at the same time, ask Anita Sarkeesian.

I mean, wouldn't it have been just great if Jennifer Garner had married the homeless guy after learning to be less shallow?

/Proud feminazi that should be making movies

Haha you're funny bellbottoms :-)

Re Jennifer Garner becoming horribly disfigured & testing Ricky's love for her...yeeeaahhh, he was writer/director/producer/lead actor, so that was never gonna happen haha.

Yeah, I totally agree. Although, I loved The Invention Of Lying, in all it's shallow, sexist glory (I gave it 9/10 on imdb). I think there was more depth to it than most Hollywood fluff, but definitely an equal amount of shallow. Err, I'm also biased toward anything Gervais does, even if it's heavily dosed with gratuitous, blatant wish fulfilment lol.

Definitely agree there needs to be more movies written, produced, directed & led by proud feminists.

**** Bill Vol. 2. Again. Pai Mei can come around and dice some vegetables anytime he likes ;)

Aw no, he might make you punch a piece of wood & carry gallons of water up loads of stairs :-). Yeah I watched it again too...well, I always cover my eyes when the violent bits come on, so I really only saw about 10% of it lol.

We took the kids to see Paddington today.It was a very sweet,heartwarming movie.The kids really liked it and so did we.Definetely a good family movie.

I liked the books when I was a kid.

So did I. :) :) My big sister even bought me Paddington Bear for Christmas once.I still have him.

I watched Chocolat last night on Amazon, only because Johnny Depp was in it (hehe). It turned out to be a really good movie with a nice message.

Are you going to see his new movie Mordecai? lol heard it's supposed to be really bad, but for some reason it looks entertaining to me due to how ridiculous it looks from previews.

I watched Chocolat last night on Amazon, only because Johnny Depp was in it (hehe). It turned out to be a really good movie with a nice message.

Are you going to see his new movie Mordecai? lol heard it's supposed to be really bad, but for some reason it looks entertaining to me due to how ridiculous it looks from previews.

I want to see it! I'll probably wait till it comes on Dvd and just rent it. It does look really silly but I love silly movies and i love Johnny Depp! Also I don't go by reviews of movies because there's alot of movies i ended up liking that had bad reviews. I hope this one is as funny as it looks from the trailer!

I want to see it! I'll probably wait till it comes on Dvd and just rent it. It does look really silly but I love silly movies and i love Johnny Depp! Also I don't go by reviews of movies because there's alot of movies i ended up liking that had bad reviews. I hope this one is as funny as it looks from the trailer!

*Puts hand up*, yep me also. I'll be seeing it despite the reviews (& despite Gwyneth Paltrow being in it - ugh, I still can't take her seriously after her Oscar speech). 'Dark Shadows' & 'Alice In Wonderland' got fairly poor reviews on Rotten Tomatoes & I enjoyed them immensely (mainly for Depp's performance & bc I like Tim Burton's style).

Uh oh, I just checked Rotten Tomatoes & its rating is currently sitting at 13%. Ouch, that's brutal. Yike - I also just read some of the reviews. *Slowly, reluctantly puts hand down*. Maybe I'll wait for it to come out on free-to-air TV :-s

Edited by Els1e

Human Trafficking (technically a mini-series, but all played at once) with Mira Sorvino.

I thought it was pretty good and definitely touched on an important issue. I hate to think of the young kids (and adults) sold into slavery and prostitution every year. The movie had a happy ending, at least.