Donate Now Read more... ×
Trace

What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It? #2

5 hours ago, evalynn said:

Seems like most people were "hate-watching" it. The comments on Twitter while it was airing were hilarious.

The guy that replaced Patrick was pathetic.   The girl was a perfect girl next door.  Abigail Bresin was perfect but they got the first guy off the street they could find.

Note: Post will contain spoilers.

Aliens (I have watched it once before the re-watch, but I felt like popping it back into the dvd player), I thought it was an average popcorn flick. Problem I thought was the fact that we have marines going around carrying guns and that the Xenemorph(s) can now be killed by human bullets. In the original "Alien", the Xenemorph was a perfect organism, not so much here.

While expansion of the lore is somewhat appreciated, I think I like the idea of taking humans and mutating them into eggs better than an Alien queen giving birth to them. Something about being in constant pain as your body mutates into a facehugger egg is so much more terrifying than watching an Alien queen giving birth.

In the original, the crew felt more human and relatable than most of the marines who were just overconfident, or nonchalant, or acted big but when it counted, they were the first ones to start crying. The original film's cast felt more sensible, they panicked, but had the common sense to do something to survive. The chest buster scene is still so iconic and impactful even to this day. The whole facehugger concept sends shivers down my spine in the original because we get to see so little of it in action (this left it up to the viewer's imagination). Plus watching how the impregenation process took place via the biology study was far more fascinating than any of the action scenes from Aliens.

Original just has that timeless value of being a thriller, horror, mystery and monster movie due to how powerless the crew really is. Again, in Aliens they changed it so it becomes all out war, even though the marines do get slaughtered mostly. It is a great movie for those days where you just feel like popping in something action packed to watch as you chow down your popcorn. But from a thematic, and an iconic perspective, the original can never be triumphed.

Codename: Diamond Head--as riffed by Mystery Science Theater 3000. The actual movie is hopelessly awful, but watching the MST3K boys tear it up was hysterically funny.

Edited by JD4010

On 2017-06-02 at 7:21 PM, womanofthelight said:

The Cure for Wellness -  interesting, engrossing, and stressful at times.

I just watched that yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it. The last half hour felt so out of place to me...like it suddenly went from arthouse to blockbuster. The visuals are amazing, though.

7 minutes ago, Kogent5 said:

I just watched that yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it. The last half hour felt so out of place to me...like it suddenly went from arthouse to blockbuster. The visuals are amazing, though.

Good point about the last half hour!  I'm in a horror movie frame of mind, so I'll have to find something else.

10 hours ago, JD4010 said:

Codename: Diamond Head--as riffed by Mystery Science Theater 3000. The actual movie is hopelessly awful, but watching the MST3K boys tear it up was hysterically funny.

Twilight with Rifftrax is one of my favorite movies. So hilarious.

"The Black Cat", an old black and white film staring  Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff.  It was interesting but not scary in my opinion.  It is said to be one of the few sound films with an almost continuous musical soundtrack. 

Guest dontevenknow

John Wick. It was a pretty good movie, Keanu Reeves is a very good actor but the movie seemed to be thrown together a little. There wasn't much character development which left me wanting more but worth watching.

Edited by dontevenknow

Wonder Woman, in 3D. The movie is ok. The plot is nothing to stretch your grey matter. You need to be a Marvel comic I think. My gal is so she enjoyed it. I don't find them to be that good. Some good scenery and special effects. No gore in the fight scenes so it's kept PG-13 easily. 

"The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, directed by Vincent Minelli.  It was very funny  -- laugh out loud, bust a gut funny -- at times.  If you ever saw the old television program "I Love Lucy" and liked it, I suspect you would enjoy this.  I had seen it before and it is still funny to me. 

Been on a movie binge the last week.

Watched Wait Until Dark (1967). I liked the story, but sometimes that old-school acting is just too hammy. Although I also half-rewatched The Trap (1966), and it remains one of my favorite movies with great performances from the two leads.

Watched The Dark Knight Rises a few days ago...boring first half, but exciting second half.

Watched The Lords of Salem (2012) last week. It's not a good movie, but I think the imdb rating is way too low for it. Maybe I just have a soft spot for Rob Zombie. I do appreciate his movie aesthetics.