Hello, I'm New.

Hi, I guess I should tell you a bit of my story.

I suffer from chronic fatigue for the last few years. It severely restricts the amount of activity I can do - think the spoon theory.

Three or four years ago I had a series of panic attacks and was put on doxepin to control my anxiety. I was also sent to a counselor who basically told me I was just lazy.

Just over the last three or four weeks, my anxiety has gotten out of control and I've also become depressed. I have been put on citalopram and it seemed to work for a few days but now I'm back to how I was. I'm hardly sleeping at night time because of my anxiety.

I have in the past had suicidal thoughts and have told people (including the counselor) but it just gets ignored so I end up feeling like no one cares. I feel like even if you don't know how to talk to people about it at least try because it just makes me feel worse than I already do.

It sometimes seems to take doctors a long time with illnesses like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and fibromyalgia. My sister initially had a diagnois of multiple sclerosis after her spinal tap and brain scans and then a while later, that was changed, then it was said to be something else, and then chronic fatigue. She has had some improvement with acupuncture and medication. If you have options to try acupuncture, it might be of value. Also, can you check out some other therapists to find one that fits comfortably for you?

Hope you find some help here. This is my first day, too.

Thank you for replying. :)

I have been recommended acupuncture before but I have a fear of needles so I'm scared of doing it. I have had so many blood tests over the years that it's put me off.

I might have to talk to my doctor about seeing another therapist. Someone who actually believes in depression this time.

They were thinking of diagnosing me with fibromyalgia so I was sent to higher up doctor who started telling me how controversial it was and he wouldn't diagnose me with it.

Greetings Lise and Welcome,

Mistake is human,and that counselor did one.Lazy...believe me i know what a lazy person is and you are not one.

Anxiety is something not to be taken lightly.It could evolve into something much worse.Try checking several councelors,some acupuncture,some green tea,meditating.If you are the religious type than remember that God loves us all.

Never give up hope!Today we might eat dried bread but tomorow we will feast!Today we will cry,but tomorow we will laugh!Tomorow can always be better than today.

Hi Lise, and welcome to the forum!

You really need to find a therapist who specializes in chronic pain, or at least has it as a specialty. There's a room devoted to that here at DF, so feel free to visit. You'll find a lot of support there geared toward your specific concerns. The whole forum, though, is yours to use and explore.

As katlovescats notes, some people treat illnesses like chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia as fictions, dismissing them as though the sufferers are simply making them up. (Depression sufferers get lumped in there as well.) It's bad enough when the general population does it; it's reprehensible when a professional does it. Fortunately, that's changing.

We do care, Lise, and we understand how low you're feeling, how alone it's making you feel. You're not alone - because we've been there, we can offer support that non-sufferers can't. We're here whenever you need us!

I will go and look for that room. Thank you.

My own Dad has always treated me like I am just lazy and need to get out and become the workaholic he is.

The only person who I have to talk about this with is my Mum and I feel like such a burden to her. My Nana died last year and she was the only other person who had been there for me my whole life. I think I need to talk to the doctor again and see if she can find me a good therapist.

Thank you so much for the advice.

I'm sorry you lost your only close source of support. That must still hurt. I only have my ex, and obviously that's a bit of a problem since he's my ex.

I do hope you find support here, though. I know I have. It's tough to go through all this alone, and you shouldn't have to.

And yes, find a proper therapist; proper ones don't judge. They help. Fortunately, they're in the majority.

Best to you!