Call Center Employee And Depression

Dave2797

Does anyone else work full time in a call center environment and suffering from Depression or Anxiety?

I've worked in Call Centers most of my Adult life, and I'm sure that it's taking it's toll on me. Does anyone else feel the pain and would like to have a talk about it? PM me.

Hi Dave

I have not worked in a call center, but I can imagine it is not an easy job at all and I can also see how it is the kind of job that can trigger depression and anxiety. I hope that others come along and respond that also work in call centers.

Trace

Working in a call center, especially in a high stress environment, is probably the hardest thing you will ever do. When you feel an episode coming on, and then you get someone really angry on the other end of the phone, It really takes you down a notch. I used to work in the telecommunications industry working for a couple of different leaders in Cell Phones and other technology. That was the worst job I've ever had in the world. The way Society depends on Cell Phones and Internet makes me sick actually. We've forgotton how to live our lives simple. There's nothing simple anymore.

I'm now working in a problem that's a little better. I work for a Trucking company that books trips for their truckers. We are a faily new service, so the truckers are not liking us very much, but it's a tad nicer than dealing with a business man about his IPhone 5.

8 Hours, sitting in front of a computer screen, not able to walk away or log out, you have to sit there and take it. It's not a very nice feeling what so ever because it makes you feel like your trapped.

Our center is the same way, everything is recorded, every click of the mouse. We have a little freedom though, we get to browse the internet a little bit so I can get lost in this site between calls which is a saviour. If they ever take it away, I honestly don't know what I'd do.

It just feels like your constantly watched, and we have to put on this Happy face all the time... It's sooooo Frustrating.

I work in a call centre, have done for 15 years, I think the management make the difference.

Our calls are recorded, pc activity monitored, not allowed internet other than for work purposes. However by boss is aware of my depression, if I feel I need to take a break outside of normal times I just let her know (a special head nod and point towards smoking shelter). The weird thing is since I opened up to her regarding depression and know I can disappear for 10 mins, I feel the need to do it less often. If she sees me go for a coffee break out of normal times she usually just asks if I am ok, and leaves me too it, nothing ever said about how long i am away from my desk. My productivity is not effected got the best figures in there, so luckily its not a problem having odd 5 mins breaks.

I have to say she is the only one out of 5 employers that have been like that, rest have been a nightmare and basically forcd mee to quit. Been here over 2 years, had 2 bad depression episodes and managed to keep sickness down to a two week period and 5 odd days. Probably one of best sickness rates in there.

Think I handle the" screamers" better than most as well, I have learnt not to take it personally, they are shouting at the company not me, I am just there to resolve their problem.

Oh I had that attitude as well... They aren't screaming at me, they're screaming at the company... But when you take 75 calls a day, 5 to 6 days a week, it takes it's toll on you. I have a lot of de-escalation skills when dealing with the general public so I can defuse a situation pretty quick. I am rather good at my job as well, but I've been suffering for a few years while dealing with this because it seems as tho the height of my episode happens when I have this Yappy teenager on the phone who can't post pictures to walls on facebook with his Iphone 5. I feel like reaching through the phone and breaking his phone...lol.

I really think it's time for me to enter a new field, because maybe if I never had to walk into stress each and every day, maybe my mind would have time to recover and actually heal itself. My only thing, I've been doing this for the majority of my adult life, I don't know if I'm good at anything else. I've only ever had 2 jobs in my entire life up to a year ago, which is when I walked out of my call center job into another, and into another, then another... Now I'm doing this Truck Driving course, and I don't feel any further ahead, even tho the stress level dropped. But what can a call center junkie offer any other field out there? I'm not much for Labour, and my skills are limited to being a fast typer, a decent creative imagination, basic computer skills... Other than that, it's either call center or welfare eh?

God I'm so scared to even attempt to do something else. Does anyone know of some free online courses you can take to enhance skills?

I think you need to break down all your skills one by one.

1. You have experience dealing with people of all creeds, colors and IQ's

2. You know how to disperse tense, somewhat abusive situations

3. You have computer skills

4. You are fast and efficient in the calls you take

5. You have crazy good people skills and can talk to just about anyone!

So what kinds of jobs would be a good fit for you?

You would be good as front desk staff in an office environment

You would be GREAT as a 911 operator

You would be good working in retail because they deal with much the same issues but you'd be face to face, in a good environment, able to walk around and talk to real people.

You would be great as a dispacher with the police or fire department or some wholesale place.

I'm sure there are a million more things you can do but just wanted to put a few out there. Think outside the box as you look for a change in jobs. YOu will find something perfect I know with all your skills!

Boy oh Boy this job... Call Center Life has really cut my life expectancy I tell you that... This line of work is so easy, and I just cannot stomach doing it anymore. It's been over a decade, most of my adult life actually and I REALLY need a change. So I've been putting some thought into being a Taxi Driver. I just got my Drivers Licence Class changed, had my medical completed, so now I'm eligible. I even have a job prospect lined up if I want to take it.

I have to be perfectly honest with you all, I am scared to death of this change. I know my city pretty well, and I know how to drive pretty well, and I get along with people well, but the thought of changing jobs scares the life out of me. This is all that I've known in my adult life with the exception of cooking fast food chicken... This will be a huge step in my life, because with limited education, and no real skill or talent, this is about as much as I have to choose from in my city.

Has anyone ever been in a field where they've been the majority of your working life, and all of a sudden enter into the exact opposite field in taxi driving...

Anyone have any tips on how to cope with job change and do anyone have any experience driving a taxi that can share with me some positive\negative experiences?

I remember reading this thread about a week ago. I was just about to post to it, then I couldn't find it again. Weird. Anyhoo, I am so happy that I found the thread again. Dave you and I are very much alike. I have worked customer service for well over 15 years. The job I have been at for the past 2 years is customer service for a local cable company. Billing, repairs, getting yelled at all day, blah blah blah. The thing is, I am good at my job. Not to toot my own horn, I am actually GREAT at my job. I have been given numerous awards, received praise, etc. So, why do I hate my job?

The pressure is overwhelming. Of all the customer service jobs I have worked in the past, this is the absolute worst. You are treated like a child. Everything is watched. Your call time, your attitude on the phone. You are graded daily on numerous points. I have never had an issue meeting or exceeding goals before. Now, I am terrified. I have missed so much work in the past 2 years due to my depression and anxiety. I was also diagnosed with Celiac disease recently. Bathroom breaks are frowned upon. You have to take personal time to run to the bathroom! Too much personal time equals bad scores.

Sure, I can get even more doctors notes. Its embarressing. Please excuse Tigger to use the bathroom? ***? Plus, people I have started with are now exceeding me . That sounds so silly and petty. I am jealous. I was always the best, now I am afraid to go to work.

The job pays well. The benefits are wonderful. Overtime is plentiful. Why can't I just suck it up and work? The mere thought of walking through those doors makes me ill.

Dave, you are not alone. I just wish I knew what to do.

i work at a call center as well. greatly dislike that job, causes a lot of stress and it is the only job i have ever had that i actually dread going to work. i think it makes my depression worse because im stuck in a cubical, taking 70+ calls a day, with people yelling at me over there bills. i try to remind myself that they arent yelling at me, they are yelling at the company but its hard sometimes.

i work at a call center as well. greatly dislike that job, causes a lot of stress and it is the only job i have ever had that i actually dread going to work. i think it makes my depression worse because im stuck in a cubical, taking 70+ calls a day, with people yelling at me over there bills. i try to remind myself that they arent yelling at me, they are yelling at the company but its hard sometimes.

Exactly! I feel as though I am chained to my desk. Afraid to get a glass of water, afraid to use the bathroom. It is not a nice life :(

my depression has worsened and i have been calling in a lot here recently. its a place i want to avoid being around completely. they also work us through holidays and we cannot get them off. so i get to miss thanksgiving and Christmas

Edited by gamer1990

my depression has worsened and i have been calling in a lot here recently. its a place i want to avoid being around completely. they also work us through holidays and we cannot get them off. so i get to miss thanksgiving and Christmas

Same here, gamer. I am actually out on disability. Both my doctors office and HR at work have been a nightmare. The stress level is through the roof. Part of me wants to go back to see all of my friends. Another part of me would be happy if I never walked in their again.

LMAO... My family suggested that I could pack up and move across the country to live with other family in a city I don't know anyone in, and work in a call center because it was an easy job with "opportunities for advancement".. Sometimes I think the last generation of people is out of touch with the realities of today.

• 1 year later...

I am approaching my three-year mark as a call center agent. It was culture shock when I first hit the floor. Just knowing I worked in a call center was depressing and I told myself it would only be for a while. Surely I would get promoted. Well, I did get promoted to leadership within my first year. I lasted six months in that role before going back to the phones where I could have a little peace. I'd rather be yelled at by faceless customers than people who are supposed to be my mentors. I've been back on the phones for a year and while most days are OK, because I constantly fight depression I often have to use every bit of energy I have just to keep my butt in the seat taking calls. There is little energy left to make sales. On other days, the time flies by as I talk with reasonable customers and keep my mind off of things I cannot control like changing metrics, the reality that I could lose my merit raise I earned for doing well in 2013 if I don't pass a certification test a level above my current position. A new cap on earnings means some of my colleagues' pay could be cut nearly in half. For me, it's only 54 cents an hour I stand to lose. It's more than the money. It's not nice to give a raise and then take it back for not being qualified for the next level promotion. The pressure is exhausting. If I can just focus on one call at a time and not think about it, things are OK. Then there is this depressing lead who constantly sends group messages like "keep pushing" no matter how much money one has sold for the company that day. It's a bit like having a task master give you lashes throughout the day. Yes, there are "way to go" and "boom!" and other positive messages given for each sale. But in between, being constantly pushed as if the lead is wearing spurs and I am some wild horse out there in need of being broken can be quite demoralizing.

When I felt like there was opportunity for advancement I felt a bit better about it being "only for a while." I've been shot down so many times for jobs I am more than qualified for within the corporate side of the business that it feels as though it might be less stressful to just accept what I have, be grateful for the benefits and keep my head low.

In the meantime, I have decided to put my professional writing skills back to work in my free time. I am writing a novel about call center life. That's how I found this forum. I was searching for "call center depression."

This thread looks really old, so I doubt any of you who have already posted will see this. Perhaps that is a good sign. Did you all get better? Did getting a career outside of call centers help? Or are you still there, still struggling along?

Hi Dave2797

I worked for seven years at a call center, so I can feel your pain. You're probably right that this is taking a toll on you, it's not an easy job very stressful. To answer your question callcenterlife regarding a career outside of a call center, I would say yes but only if it's not for the Federal government " wish I'm now working for unfortunately ", it's way worsted. About the fact of getting better, I'm now crazier than ever but working for the Federal government it help everybody here is crazy. :mad1: So I guess you might say that I'm still struggling along at work. I think I need a vacation from work at least twice a year and 6 months each time.