What Really Bugs You #6

Trace

When you have made something nice to eat and it slips out of your hands onto the floor to be

devoured by your doggies.

Lol. And when u cook or bake something splendid and leave it on the table to cool and return several minutes later to see your dog mowing down , and then she has little red burn blisters on her mouth for e next two weeks from eating it too hot.

When you have made something nice to eat and it slips out of your hands onto the floor to be

devoured by your doggies.

Lol. And when u cook or bake something splendid and leave it on the table to cool and return several minutes later to see your dog mowing down , and then she has little red burn blisters on her mouth for e next two weeks from eating it too hot.

I was going to like that but I wasnt unable to do so because of the sad doggie images in my mind :unsure:

Traffic. Turns me from a calm collected rational person to a foul mouthed aggressive psycho.

Best thing I ever did was give up the car. I think my blood pressure dropped 15 points. I also got in pretty good shape because I walk, bike, or ride the bus everywhere.

Traffic can still get to me--when I'm trying to cross a busy intersection and no one wants to yield to the pedestrian that is me. :)

Buying shoes. First off, My size is the most popular, so they are generally out of them. Secondly, I have been wearing the same brand and type of shoes since 2007. They are great for walking and I credit them for helping me to lose weight during 2008. The manufacturer keeps making changes to the type, and they are rarely changes for the better. Fortunately, the shoes aren't expensive so it's not such a big deal to buy 2 pairs/year rather than one, like I used to get away with.

Third, all of the local retailers were out of this type of shoe in my size. And it will be many days before they restock. I don't like buying online because I think it's a PITA.

So I started looking for shoes that are similar to my usuals. The same manufacturer has some that were interesting, but when I tried them on, there was always something I didn't like.

So I started looking at other brands. I found a pair that's even cheaper than the ones I normally buy, and they felt pretty good in the store. 2.5 hours after I started looking at shoes, I bought these.

This morning, I put them on and walked to work (about 1.5 miles). The first 10 minutes were fine, then I noticed that a portion of the right shoe over the top of my foot wasn't bending like it ought to, so within a minute of walking, my foot began to ache. I wound up limping into the office, swearing under my breath.

I really hate buying shoes.

Edited by SufferInSilence

I'm starting to suspect that the reason there aren't many women in STEM is because of women. This is a college where I've seen only fantastic and respected male instructors, and only one such woman instructor for my field. The other two have been terrible. So terrible in fact that when one sat down to substitute the class I honestly did not think she was in STEM until she mentioned taking certain certifications (she went on to demonstrate absolutely no knowledge or initiative in helping us whatsoever). By comparison, none of the men have done a bad job of it.

I can't imagine these women got in on the same merit as their male counterparts (if they're the best there was, where are the equivalents?! some of these men are seriously smart and competent in front of a class), and it's incredibly disheartening to me to look at this male-dominated field and feel like it's just another valley girl hangout in the little niche where there are people of my gender. It was supposed to be for women like me. Serious, introverted, nerdy, detail-obsessed women. Not extroverted women who blab about themselves in front of the class while people are trying to ask about a problem with the material, skim over the slides, and can't answer any questions. I show more initiative in helping the students here than that one did, and I am not a graduate or a professional. I was supposed to come here to see obviously intelligent, competent women that I would want to be like.

Is that what I'm going to have to be like to make it? Where are the women like me going? Why would women look to instructors like that as role models and encouragements to love science and technology?

Edited by Licorice