What Really Bugs You #6

Trace

The weather not being able to make up its mind. One day its so hot that I am melting, then the next day its like the UK, cold and rainy. Its like someone is flipping a switch every day. I never know what to wear.

Oh, and my mother, who is so ridiculously religious that she gets all bent out of shape and suspicious of me because I had printed out information about different kinds of demons for a story idea I had. Leave it to her to completely throw me off my appetite.

I need to get the hell out of here.

What really bugs me is reductionism in the various physical and social sciences. By reductionism I mean the tendency to explain phenomena by denying its existence orartificially impoverishing the data. This occurs not just between the various sciences and social sciences but also within them. It is the belief that each science or each school of thought within a science secretly has the most important "key" to understand the whole. I guess one could call it the totalitarian impulse in the various sciences and social sciences.

One way reductionism is manifested is through the refusal to ask certain questions or to prematurely label such questions as meaningless at the outset. I am reminded of the story of the science teacher who asked his class to explain why a teapot full of water was boiling. Answers were given from physics and chemistry. But one student said: "Perhaps the teapot is boiling because someone wants a bit of tea." At this the teacher scowled and said: "That is not a scientific answer!" Well it may not be a scientific answer, but it can still be a true answer. The teacher told his class: " We don't ask 'why' questions in science." Well that may be so, but that does not mean 'why' questions are apriori meaningless.

Or I am reminded of the story of the biologist who said that love does not exist and that everything can be reduced to competition between selfish genes. And then he added that of course he was not a monster and loved his wife and children. I think we have a right to expect a person to be consistent, don't we? If a man says there is no truth and that there is no logic but only brain chemistry, can't we ask him why we should listen to him if he is also inexorably driven by brain chemistry and not logic.

Anyway, . . . I find reductionism particularly irksome both in myself and in others.

Edited by Epictetus

People I work with who try to boss me around. There is one new person I have to work with and it is a real challenge. :sheep:

Someone told me to light a green candle and send her healing light. I guess I have to, she is so darn irritating.

When I am tired and cranky and the lift stops at every one of the 14 floors before I get to my floor.

Also, if I am in the lift and I have my headphones in, people ignore that and start making pointless small talk. I have to then turn of my music, take out my headphones and pretend to be civil. HATE!!

Trying to work out where the smell of dog poop is coming from, when I don't have a dog....Maybe its coming from next door, but I don't think they have a dog either...

Better check the refrigerator and see if your garbage needs to be empty. I've thought I smelled cat poop in the house before (I have a cat) and it turned out some refried beans were past the expiration date.

My dad is currently annoying me. He keeps going on about how horrible Microsoft is and how much he hates Windows 7 and 8. I didn't mind it the first few times but now I can't talk about anything computer related without him going off in a rant. How can anyone expect a company not to update their product after seven years? That's bad management if they didn't and it's honestly not that difficult to figure out. I don't know what his problem is but I'm tired of listening to it.

My dad is currently annoying me. He keeps going on about how horrible Microsoft is and how much he hates Windows 7 and 8. I didn't mind it the first few times but now I can't talk about anything computer related without him going off in a rant. How can anyone expect a company not to update their product after seven years? That's bad management if they didn't and it's honestly not that difficult to figure out. I don't know what his problem is but I'm tired of listening to it.

Plus, Windows 7 and Windows 8 aren't that bad. :tounge:

What really bugs me is how commercial the holidays have gotten.