Speech Problems Related To Depression Or Gad

Smtmalady

I was curious to know if problems with speech can be related to depression or GAD?

I have to slow down and really concentrate on the words I want to say sometimes in order to speak in a coherent manner.

I will try to say what I see or what I am thinking and another word or a jumbled word will come out instead. It can be embarrassing in social situations. Sometimes I have to repeat what I want to say many times before I can say it coherently. Also at times I repeat what I would like to say in my head so many times that Its no longer relavent to the situation (the subject may have changed or an answer to a problems has already been given).

It is difficult to be taken seriously when I cannot put a sentence together verbally, but more than anything I worry that this might be a deeper problem. I would hope it's not a cognitive disability, just a side effect of my mental illness.

I was curious to know if problems with speech can be related to depression or GAD?

I have to slow down and really concentrate on the words I want to say sometimes in order to speak in a coherent manner.

I will try to say what I see or what I am thinking and another word or a jumbled word will come out instead. It can be embarrassing in social situations. Sometimes I have to repeat what I want to say many times before I can say it coherently. Also at times I repeat what I would like to say in my head so many times that Its no longer relavent to the situation (the subject may have changed or an answer to a problems has already been given).

It is difficult to be taken seriously when I cannot put a sentence together verbally, but more than anything I worry that this might be a deeper problem. I would hope it's not a cognitive disability, just a side effect of my mental illness.

I actually have the same problem as you, but only slightly less severe. I do, however, experience the nearly the exact same things that you have mentioned in your post. Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide you with an answer to your dilemma, but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

You may wish to speak to your doctor about this in case there are further underlying problems, but what I will tell you is my experience of this. When I went through my breakdown I found it very difficult to verbalise or even construct sentences or form words, and often I stuttered and stumbled over words. It was exhausting, frustrating and made me very upset.

I agree that you should see a doctor ASAP. Yes I think depression can cause us to slow down and lose our focus during converstations but there are even more physical issues that produce the same symptoms. Please make an appointment with a medical doctor and keep it. That should be step one. Wishing you well, Sea

Thank you all for responding!

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone Kuroyukihime, but I'm sorry you have to deal with this problem as well.

I will have to bring it up with doc, I just wasn't sure if I may be overreacting to a normal symptom of this illness.

For as much as I thought I knew about my mental problems, I guess I still have a lot to learn. This site has opened my eyes with so many other experiences to draw off of.

I find that since I have become depressed I find that I forget nouns. I'll be mid sentence and then the word is gone and I'm left pointing or saying ''you know, the thing" and it just won't appear. It doesn't happen when I'm writing / typing though! Weird huh? But it happens every other sentence when speaking. It's quite embarrassing sometimes...

That's interesting. I know sometimes I'll just go blank like that, but that itself was never too bad. I usually just apologize for not knowing what to say. I understand where that can be embarrassing especially if it happens frequently. it used to be irritating for me but I'm all to used to it now.

It is so fluid and simple to write or type versus speaking. I can also read aloud very clearly, but often I cannot speak coherently, when it's straight from thought to verbalization.

Isn't it strange how the words can be lost before reaching the lips, but so easily brought to paper?

Oh, wow, I have the exact same problem.

I forget words, I smash words together when I speak, I stumble over sentences, I lose track of my thoughts and have a hard time verbalizing them correctly (unless, as you said, I slow down and focus and make multiple attempts).

This doesn't happen all the time, not every single day, but certainly often enough to be noticeable (especially to me). None of my friends or family have ever mentioned it, at least not to my face, but it's impossible to miss and hasn't gone away. I feel like a complete moron when it happens, it's very embarrassing.

This has been going on for... I'd guess at least three years now. I've had a severe anxiety disorder since birth and major depression for a solid ten years (at least), so I tend to think this is probably a symptom of my brain finally starting to crack under the strain. Which is not... really comforting, of course, but makes a lot of sense. :-/

Interesting. Now that you say this, it gives me pause for thought... Sometimes I am well-spoken and verbally articulate. Other times I suffer this too, as far words becoming jumbled, fumbled, forgotten, and just plain hard-to-form midway through a sentence.

It does make life awkward some days. One thing is I'm naturally an observer of humans; I see that if you pay attention, most people do fumble around once in a while when talking. So I 'try' to not make a big deal of it and brush it off, telling myself that maybe I become nervous and flub up a little more often than others, but to let it go as opposed to the auto-repeat-replay in my mind to torture myself. (Been there and done that, of course)

Thank you for this discussion. Always good to know we're not alone. :-)

It's quite comforting to know that I'm not alone!

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts!

I have always been embarrassed/insecure about this problem, but at least now I can link it to this disease.

I am a relatively intelligent person (or at least I feel that way) so to know what I need to say and not be able to verbalize it is disconcerting.

I guess over time something along the lines of speech therapy may actually help resolve this problem. I am going to look into the rate of success with therapy. Who knows? Maybe I can find a way to help fix this problem.

It's interesting to see how many people have speaking troubles along with depression or GAD. I've always had a bit of trouble getting words out or putting sentences together. Sometimes nothing will come out which is really difficult as people will accuse me of being rude or bratty.