Recovery

Jkm

Hello,

Recovery instead of recovering because I will always be working on my mh as much as my physical health. Umm how do i define it. Well I guess Its everytime I have done something I find hard to do. Like have a shower, or make a phone call, or going into hospital for tests.

Everything however small or big is celebrated its a acheivement its a onging process thats fought everyday & won everyday. My life will nver be recoverd. I have known this for a long time now in my physical health or my mental health. But that dosen't mean I wont claw back every little thing I can. I have realised im a fighter. Life chucks it at me & I may be down for a while but I get up & up & up again.

Thats my recovery. Ongoing

• 2 weeks later...

Recovery for me means I have finished my DBT therapy and am able to practice my skills I am learning on my own for the rest of my life... and no long have the symptoms for BPD so I am undiagnosed with it... and that I can be okay once therapy ends. Which happens this coming Nov... a little whiles a way... but I know the time will pass quickly... =( =)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Recovery to me is WANTING to live, to take care of yourself (physically & mentally) and to enjoy life...been there once for 2 years...

Edited by one

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I just wanted to revive this thread as I hope someone else here will find it useful too. I think I'm pretty resistant to setting goals to the point that it's hard to admit that I have any goals or ambitions. I started crying when I told my therapist that I wanted to take an art class. Very recently my goals included brushing my teeth and getting outside 5 times a week for at least twenty minutes. Although I'm still depressed, I've been accomplishing these goals on a regular basis and I think it's helped me a lot! Now, I'm going to try and use some of the advice here for some loftier goals. I'm honestly a little scared I guess.

• 1 month later...

recovery for me took a LOT of work through therapy, lifestyle change and most importantly diet change.

before i was depressed for years, slowly got more anxious until i had a full breakdown where i spent several months feeling anxious and panicked all of the time, it was terrible.

recovery means that i have a normal life again :) i'm no longer depressed, i have real feelings, i don't worry irrationally anymore, i feel good about myself, i can relax, i don't have the panic or anxiety anymore so no more heart palpitations, shaking, unable to breathe properly etc. my creativity is back, i feel like i've blossomed and bloomed and grown so much because of all the hard work i put in.

my life is 100 times better than it ever was :) it's amazing, i didn't ever think i could reach this place, i thought my life was over.

i'll happily share the things that helped me recover if anyone would like to hear, just send me a PM :)

• 1 month later...

I normally define recovery from mental illness as being able to engage in what would have usually been something relating to the illness, but not wanting/having to continue it.

For example, I consider myself recovered from anorexia because I can have the thought

"I don't deserve to eat"

but I don't believe it. I can also not eat enough, for whatever reason, but I have no want to continue not eating enough. The want and desire is no longer there.

I also consider my in recovery from PTSD as I can now remember what happened and the memories are no longer triggering, they are simple bad memories. I am no longer scared of things that once would trigger a panic attack. I am now working on getting getting rid of the negative thoughts. When I am able to think the negative thoughts without believing them, I will probably consider myself recovered from PTSD.

I don't know if the above makes any sense but that's how I define recovery for myself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

i really like the idea of this thread (hence my name lol). i currently have a few goals id like to go for but feel they are to far out of reach. i love the idea of breaking them down into smaller goals. one step at a time and eventually ill make it there.

some of my goals include:

- being a healthier/less picky eater

- being more in shape. primarily setting a distance that i want to ride my bike, and working up to being able to ride that far.

- being positive even when i really dont feel like it at all.

what are some goals that you guys are setting?

• 1 month later...

My current goals:

- Get into photography (always wanted to)

- Attend EVERY uni class this summer

- Get out more and make some new good friends

- Get a job (might wait till this fall for this one)

- Be more calm in public

- Get back into weight lifting (my primary one, but need to wait at least a month to fully heal)

- Get that bike I wanted and do a few km/day

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Setting goals that are realistic and within capacity are just great.

Take easy steps to each goal and constantly move on until you achieve your ultimate goal.

Always reward yourself with a treat for achieving your outcome.

Jim Bow

• 5 months later...

My goals:

- Working out six days a week.

- Sticking with a regular daily routine.

- Maintaining a daily positive events log.

- Doing something fun everyday.

- Practising humor, being assertive and socializing with happy positive friends.

It would be great to have partners/community (set smaller goals, track, share progress and encouragement) with in accomplishing them.

"Focus one goal at a time. Get support in working on goals. "

This advice really helps me and when I look back at success in my life it usually happened when I focused on one main goal at a time. I tend to get all over the place with want I want to do and beat myself up when I can't do it all. The one goal at a time mantra centers me and gives me peace.

2009 goal was leaving my husband and getting control of my life back.

2010 was dedicated to improving my career in to something i love.

Right now my goal is being in the best shape of my life.

I joined a gym got a trainer and have friends who work out.

I plan to be to give this goal much of my attention and when other things come up all ask myself does this support my main goal? If not ill think twice if I really want to spend my energy on whatever.

Edited by Sweetday

• 3 months later...

I created a private Livejournal specifically for the outline you've shown us! I will use it to chronicle my progress. Thanks so much; now I feel optimistic about my future thinking of all the things I want to accomplish!

I'm going to put it on my LJ too, I have another thing which is the 101/1001 project, where you set 101 goals to achieve in 1001 days, and they all have to be measurable and have a timescale...I kinda lost sight of it while very depressed, now I'm starting the uphill struggle out the other side of it I'm starting to look at it again and I think I'll do this too....

Thanks KJM, this has helped me today, I have gone through this and can see the goal I've set broken down into smaller goals it can be achieved. Woo!

...AGAIN apparently!! Hahaha! I can't even remember doing this now. Maybe now I have a journal online I'll be able to look back easier. I have heaps of notebooks from the last time, I can't face hunting through them now!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think recovery for me would simply be feeling at least better than I do now on a more normal / regular basis, and finally finding joy again in the things I once loved doing. If I could simply have that, I'd consider myself at least mostly recovered.

I wish you all the best in your strive towards recovery tmm0127.

Recovery is a challenging word for me because I have a personality disorder so recovery is more about self acceptance and self soothing/self care. Being happy with the cards that I was dealt.

Recovery for me is ongoing and I have taken baby steps for the past 15 years.

It involved taking anti-depressants, sticking to a routine but also knowing how to break the comfort zone and seek more challenges.

Stop isolating, sleeping too much, avoiding tasks.

It meant stopping to think negatively, gossiping, obsessing and constantly blame others for my misery.

I had to know how to love myself, then others, forgive, take responsibility for everything and seeking solutions, not to stay fixed on my problems.

Taking one day at a time, setting goals and to be of service.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I really enjoyed reading these. I'm not completely sure how I would define recovery--in part because I'm nervous about setting too high an expectation. I will probably read over the ones above again, see which resonate with me the most and then adopt them in my own words.

But here goes.

Recovery would include:

• feeling positive about life and desiring to live it
  • being able to focus on the purpose and goals I've chosen instead of on how badly I feel
  • knowing that I am doing the best I am capable of
  • letting go of guilt over past failures or performance, accepting the present and having hope for the future
  • focusing on work tasks and give my best to my employer, myself and my family

btw, does anyone know if there is a work/job stress topic or forum on the site? I've done a couple searches but am not that great at navigating this site yet.

thx

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

This is my first post here, I just joined the forum. I've been reading a lot of different forums relating to anxiety/depression and substance abuse recovery, and it seems this one has a lot of positive outlooks compared to others. I'm trying to change my whole way of thinking, from negative to positive. I'm one messed up individual. But I feel like this is a turning point in my life. I don't wanna ramble too much, but I just think it's going to be helpful for me to track my progress and my thoughts are always racing, I feel the need to organize them into something that makes sense and promotes positivity. So this is my first real attempt to stop abusing drugs and deal with life. I just got off Suboxone, which was pure hell. I tapered from 8 mg down to 4 mg before I jumped off. I'd been prescribed to it for 3 years, as well as clonazepam (generic Klonopin). I've taken Zoloft and Lexapro before for a few months each, then discontinued those because the Suboxone and clonaxepam were pretty effective against my anxiety. I've been diagnosed with social anxiety, generalized anxiety, PTSD, and agoraphobia. But Suboxone is really expensive and not a long-term solution anyways so I had to get off it. After a week and a half of feeling worse than I ever have in my life, the physical symptoms of withdrawal started to fade, but I was still left with severe depression, anxiety, insomnia, occasional chills and sweats. I went back to the Suboxone doctor yesterday and they drug tested me, I'm happy to say I have not relapsed and I feel much more clear-headed being off Suboxone. It was a huge first step. Now I've been put on Prozac 20 mg to start, and they put me back on clonazepam for short-term use, just so I can regain my strength, I've lost a ton a weight in the past month and the anxiety was making me have no appetite. Now that I talked to my doctor about my issues in length yesterday and got his input on the situation as well as the new medication regime, I feel like there's some hope for me to get back to normal now. I hope anyone that has been on Suboxone and reads this will be encouraged, I thought I was going to die and it was never going to end, but I did it. And if I can do it, you can. I was in really bad shape. Best wishes to everyone here in their recovery process.