Sign in to follow this  
tunafish

Ect For Treatment Resistant Depression

Hi All,

I was hospitalized a month ago and started ECT, unilateral the 1st week then switched to bilateral. A quick history, I have been depressed for 14 years and tried transcranial magnetic stimulation, neurofeedback, psychotherapy, and preety much every med. I had some releif with the ect for a few days when they switched from unilateral but then it spiraled down again. Yesterday when I woke up from the treatment I was an emotional wreck. I'm trying to continue the hope here.... Anyone else have experience with this?

Hello! My aunt had ECT about 8 sesions of it...I'm afraid it didn't work very well for her she ended up with memory problems! I think It can work really well for some people. Best of Luck :-)

I'm thinking of doing this...kind of scares the crap out of me, but after it being like this for years, I'm willing to try. In one of my classes, this girl said she worked at an ECT clinic last summer and a lot of patients there said it's the only reason they haven't suicided. Clearly some do get better. But yes, even those cases it's up and down and they needed several sessions to see long-term improvement.

Edited by steellord414

Yes! I had the exact same experience, actually. I was hospitalized for treatment resistant depression, had 6 rounds of ECT while in the hospital, and felt better. I was released from the hospital and a couple days later, things got really bad again. After a couple more rounds of ECT, I started to feel better again, and this time, it has stuck. I'm still doing the maintenance treatments, but I have a feeling this Friday will be my last maintenance treatment for a while, since I'm doing so well.

Just a warning, I have had memory problems from the ECT. Mostly minor, annoying things, but I have forgotten some things that are important to me, such as when my son started walking.

However, while I'm very sad I lost those memories, ECT brought me back to feeling like myself again. I don't regret it in the slightest. I'm here with my son, happy again, and I don't think that would have happened without the ECT.