Sign in to follow this  
MissYou009

When To Take Seroquel

My doctor just switched me from Seroquel XR to the immediate release version. I know to take it at bedtime, but about when in relationship to when I want to actually go to bed? I would usually take the XR an hour or two before I actually wanted to go to bed because it took awhile to kick in.

Also, how different are the two types (XR vs. immediate release)? Are the side effects the same? What about efficacy?

Thanks!!

Good evening Miss You. Hi!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am clueless here. You might consider calling one of the national drug store chains and ask to speak to the Pharmacist on duty. Sometimes you have to ask for the Pharmacist or an eager beaver clerk or Pharm Tech will try to answer. You're going to want to talk to a Doctor of Pharmacy. Of course, this is not as good as talking to your own doctor, but it might help. I always think of the best questions to ask my doc after I leave and it is so hard where I live to get to see a doc. You might want to ask the Pharmacist the same questions you asked in this post. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful [again!]. Have a nice Sunday!

:rose:

I take seroquel 200mg at bedtime. It doesn't say XR so I'm guessing it's instant release? I start to feel it kicking in about an hour after and I sleep about two hours after.. It may be different for you so I guess experiment a little on the times and write down when you take it and when you sleep as a record?

As with everything sedating it normally took 1-2 hours for me, (closer to 2). Basically just have to work out what is best for you since it's pretty individual.

Seroquel's sedating effect seems to vary from person to person and can change for an individual, as well, over time or depending on your current mental state.

I took it a few years ago to help with sleep and anxiety, and it would knock me out within 20 minutes. Literally, knock me out to the point that I had to get in bed right after taking it.

I started taking it again a few weeks ago to bring me down to earth from a manic state, and except for the first night I took it, it now takes one to two hours to kick in. I sleep through the night without waking up at all and find it difficult to get out of bed in the morning now. I have to sleep 8-9 hours every night now, otherwise I'm nonfunctional. While this is a good, healthy thing, I do miss my manic energy and the extra time I had each day I because I was only sleeping four hours a night.

Ugh, I see why people self-medicate instead of taking this garbage, but I'm still taking it. I hope the drugged feeling goes away eventually.

I'm on the XR version but I take mine morning and night. I've read that some people have to take the XR 3 times a day which makes no sense to me if it's extended release.

Is there a reason you were switched from XR to the immediate release?

Ugh, I see why people self-medicate instead of taking this garbage, but I'm still taking it. I hope the drugged feeling goes away eventually.

I'm on the XR version but I take mine morning and night. I've read that some people have to take the XR 3 times a day which makes no sense to me if it's extended release.

I don't remember mentioning that I was switched. ?

Apologies Arboria. I accidently quoted you instead of the OP, MIssYou009 who did have a switch.

Apologies Arboria. I accidently quoted you instead of the OP, MIssYou009 who did have a switch.

haha! I'm so easily confused on this med. ;)

My husband was just started on Seroquel XR, while he was in an inpatient mental health facility. On his discharge instructions it says for him to take his Seroquel at supper time. Does that help? While he was in there supper time was around 6 pm.

I switched from extended release to instant release. Doctor hoped it would reduce the drowsiness the following day. When I first started taking it, it knocked me right out in 20 minutes but now i'm used to it again it takes over an hour.

Not working for me so no change in efficacy from XR to instant release.

I have been on this med for 13 years.....and I still dont know the right time to take it! I am going to try later as I have been waking up in the middle of the night again. It was alot easier when I did not have to make sure I was up at 7am to get my son on the bus. Before I just took it whenever.

All my doctor and pharmacist said was "at bedtime"...but that can mean 5 minutes before bed or an hour before bed...

I take 75mg of Seroquel immediate release at night usually 10 minutes before going to bed and it knocks me out. (I once took them in the morning and couldn't stay awake at school)

Edited by thegreattremolo

Glad to find a bunch if people in here taking it. Can I ask a question?

Every day since taking Serequel , about a week now , I have felt dizzy and Kinda yucky. Does this effect ever go away? Aldo Been feeling quite lethargic and unmotivated. Last night I decided not to take it and felt great- zippy and full of zest lol

My 14 year old daughter was just put on Serequel in addition to her Lexapro for major depression and PTSD. Does anyone have experience with this drug combination? She is still in inpatient treatment and hasn't come home yet, but prior to hospitilization she was on Abilify and Lexapro. I pray this combination works for her.

Glad to find a bunch if people in here taking it. Can I ask a question?

Every day since taking Serequel , about a week now , I have felt dizzy and Kinda yucky. Does this effect ever go away? Aldo Been feeling quite lethargic and unmotivated. Last night I decided not to take it and felt great- zippy and full of zest lol

Hi AngryDad,

The lethargy and lack of motivation has diminished for the most part for me. I'm on the highest dose I've ever been on, so my tolerance of the side effects is a great sign. I'm fortunate that Seroquel is like a miracle drug for me, so far, anyway. I don't have the dizziness.

One thing is to make sure you're watching what you eat on Seroquel, because it can cause metabolic disorder or diabetes. It can make you crave carbohydrates, so if this happens, just tell yourself it's the medication and have some water or tea or something. It can cause weight gain, too, which it has for me in the past. I am recovering from ED (eating disorder) as well. I haven't gained weight on this med, in fact have lost a bit. This is great, except that it makes me worry that my caretakers will doubt that I'm actually taking my meds, so I have my partner watch me take it every night. Anyone who takes Seroquel should have a fasting glucose test every few months.

My 14 year old daughter was just put on Serequel in addition to her Lexapro for major depression and PTSD. Does anyone have experience with this drug combination? She is still in inpatient treatment and hasn't come home yet, but prior to hospitilization she was on Abilify and Lexapro. I pray this combination works for her.

Hi aeuamr1,

I do not have experience with this combination, but I do wish you and your daughter all the best in her recovery. 14 with PTSD- that's rough, and I'm sorry to hear it. I took Abilify years ago, but it didn't help me much. I need the more sedating antipsychotics because of mania and agitation.