Sign in to follow this  
Ssoftw

Just Started Therapy

I started therapy (never had before) last Thursday and will be going every week. Honestly I've felt like I've needed therapy since I was a teen but I guess I just never "got around to it" for lack of a better phrase until recently.

My first therapy experience went pretty much as I expected. Before my butt hit the couch I was bawling my eyes out, and I knew that was going to happen. The session pretty much focused on why I cried then (and why I tend to cry over everything else).

I like my therapist for the most part. Its only been one session but I feel comfortable enough that I think I'll be able to trust him going forward. He said he would like for me to bring in my dreams if I remember them. I thought that was interesting.

One thing that bothered me though was that the session only lasted like 20 minutes (I'm scheduled for 45). When he stopped the session, he said we had some paper work to fill out. I assumed he was going to ask some basic questions (like to gauge if I have depression or something) but it was standard insurance stuff. I'm hoping that doesn't become "a thing". I already think its lame I'm not getting a full hour, but I understand the therapist has to make notes and get ready for the next person so its just easier to end 15 before the hour. But I don't need to be gipped another 15-25 minutes on top of that.

That's a gyp. Usually the session lasts 45 or 50 min's and that extra time is to account for their paperwork. I think you should mention it in your next session. Just tell him that you want the full 45 minutes for your session and that you didn't like that it was only 20 minutes last time. You might as well be blunt. If you can't be 100% honest with your therapist, then there's no point in even going.

Yeah, one of my problems that I want to work on is speaking up for myself. I'm terrified of confrontation or anything that could lead to it and so a lot of time I let people take advantage of me. Not saying that this is what my therapist is doing, I'm just speaking in general terms. I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt (He did get a phone call earlier in our session...so maybe that had something to do with it) and see if he gipped me again, and then I would bring it up. But you're right. I have to be completely honest with him about how I feel. I'm going to try to work up the nerve to say something.

I have the same problem about confrontation. I don't want to hurt people's feelings or cause a problem. But if you think about it, you are the patient who is paying money to get better. You paid for 45 min so you should get 45 min. However, in my experience its standard for the first session to include initial paperwork for insurance but it won't hurt to ask him in your next session. Look at it as a small step forward towards getting better.

Ssoftw It cant hurt to ask why you didn't get the 45 minutes but do it in a non confrontational way. You could wait till the end of the second session and see what time it ends. If he ends the second session early I would definitely ask.

I had this happen to me once - they actually charged for me to come in and fill out paperwork that the doctor then had to do nothing but sign! I can see the first appointment being paperwork related though I would think that would all be done by you coming in a few minutes early to finish it up. That's what most doctors do. See how the second appointment goes and if it happens again I would talk to him or find a new therapist. After all, you have just started with him so it might be okay to move on.

Ok so I didn't say anything to my therapist about the time thing. Today was better. We ended only 5 minutes early....which was fine with me because once again I started crying as soon as I sat down and didn't stop until it was over. Its only been 2 sessions, but when am I supposed to feel "good" about going? After these last two sessions I just feel exhausted and glad that its over...and glad I only go once a week. All day today I was feeling a bit of anxiety about going and I don't want to feel like that. I want to be able to look forward to getting the help that I know I need.

I will say that tonight after my session I got the nerve to finally tell my dad that I'm a lesbian. I'm really close to him and his opinion means the world to me. Its been something I've been dreading and building up in my head for years. People that know me have said that I'm worrying for nothing and that my dad seems like the type that wouldn't care about that stuff because he loves me so much (which is exactly what happened). :yay::Coopyahoo: He actualy said he pretty much already knew. I feel like if I don't get anything else out of therapy it was successful because it gave me the extra uumph I needed to tell him. I just feel like a 1000 pound boulder has been lifted from my shoulders.