Side Effects Clinching Teeth And Stomach Problems

Hey I've recently raised my Zoloft dose from 50mg once a day to 50twice a day. The first week was fine and I was feeling better, more talkative and just more comfortable in public social situations. Now I'm getting a pain in my stomach the last two nights, feels like gas but it isn't and I'm constantly clinching my teeth and the last two nights have been horribly depressed and can't sleep, I think I'm going back down to 50mg but its too bad because I know the social anxiety awkwardness will just come right back I really don't think 50mg is enough to really do anything as I've been on this dose a year .

hey Toyeboy,

i'm sorry you are having these side effects but from my experience and i'm not a professional.. you should just wait. usually side effects wear off in about two weeks, i increased my dosage from 50mg to 100mg almost two weeks ago and in the first week i was so depressed sick and dizzy but eventually i felt better. give it sometime because when the meds kick in it's gonna be worth it, or maybe you can go for 75mg for sometime and see how you feel.

Good luck

Toyeboy I agree with Tamer, if you can stick it out you may find the side effects lessen over time. I had teeth grinding though and that never did change. On to a new drug. That is why they have so many different ADs! Best of all talk to your doctor and explain the problem. Good Luck!

Thanks for the input. I've lowered the dosage to 75mg a day and I already feel better tonight. I may eventually increase to 100mg if 75mg doesn't help enough. My stomach still doesn't feel right though after I eat something I instantly feel bloated and uncomfortable like gas but its not.

So sorry to hear of your side effects! When I started Sertraline in December 2011, I started out on 50mgs and clenched my jaw shut so tight on such a constant basis that I actually cracked a tooth. I also had severe stomach upset, nausea, acute anorexia, anxiety, extreme fatigue, and major night sweats to the point that I'd wake up with soaked sheets. The side effects went away fairly rapidly at around 2 weeks in and I only have issues with night sweats now once a month for about a week (I'm a woman). With each dose increase, (50-75, 75-100, 100-150) I experienced side effects, but nothing like the severe ones I experienced at start-up; mostly, just stomach upset, teeth-clenching, and temporarily increased anxiety w/ night sweats. It was rough, but once the side effects went away, the benefits were totally worth it!

• 1 month later...

So sorry to hear of your side effects! When I started Sertraline in December 2011, I started out on 50mgs and clenched my jaw shut so tight on such a constant basis that I actually cracked a tooth. I also had severe stomach upset, nausea, acute anorexia, anxiety, extreme fatigue, and major night sweats to the point that I'd wake up with soaked sheets. The side effects went away fairly rapidly at around 2 weeks in and I only have issues with night sweats now once a month for about a week (I'm a woman). With each dose increase, (50-75, 75-100, 100-150) I experienced side effects, but nothing like the severe ones I experienced at start-up; mostly, just stomach upset, teeth-clenching, and temporarily increased anxiety w/ night sweats. It was rough, but once the side effects went away, the benefits were totally worth it!

Hi there

Just searching for some Sertraline successes (I am in my 2nd week and still feeling a tad rough :verysad3: ) so you're post has given me hope as I have all of those awful side effects too at the moment.

Thank you :smile:

Edited by PanicYeNot