Abilify

vabredbabe

Would anyone be willing to share their experience taking abilify? When I first began to take it, my psychiatrist prescribed 2 mg, which helped me greatly for a couple of months. Then it seemed the effect gradually wore off, so when I saw the doctor again in July, he increased the abilify to 5 mg which has not helped at all. The only difference is I feel more drowsy, I am overeating, and it is miserable. I did not feel any drowsiness when I first started taking the abilify at 2 mg. I also take 60 mg of generic prozac a day(in the morning), and 11/2 mg generic klonipin at night, with the abilify, and generic neurontin, 800 mg a night for sleep. The reason I was prescribed abilify because the Prozac seemed to have lost its effect. I don't see my psyciatrist again until October. I feel like I am just DRAGGING myself through each day,having no energy, and I am having a very difficult time functioning. :((

Hi,

I take 5mg of abilify along with my zoloft

and it works great for me. I have tried to

come off of it before and my depression

returned. I dont know but maybe the problem

is your prozac instead of the abilify. I

took brandname prozac before and it

worked great but I eventually switched to

zoloft due to costs. I hope you feel better

soon, I noticed you were also on neurontin.

I take it as well at night and it really helps

my sleep.

best wishes,

starr

I take 10mg abilify daily and it's pretty much a miracle drug for me. It doesn't make me ecstatic or anything, just keeps me at an "ok to normal" baseline so I can function and go to work, do everyday tasks, etc. If I go off of it for a few days (like when I forget to go to the pharmacy sometimes), my depression comes right back with a vengeance. That said, everyone reacts differently and Abilify might not be the right med for you. Please keep us updated on how things work out.

-Henri

Hi Starr,

Thanks for the input. You may be right about the Prozac. I have been on it for a long time-maybe it is time for a change.

Hey Henri,

Do you take an antidepressant with the abilify, if you don't mind me asking? I was prescribed ablilify to go along with Prozac, and when I firs went on it, I felt like it was a "miracle drug." But now something is making me very drowsy, so I was wondering if anyone else had this to happen, when their dosage was increased. I guess I will have to wait and discuss this issue with my psychiatrist when I see him in October. "SIGH."

Thank you both for your responses!

vbb/Deb

Vabredbabe,

I do take Cymbalta with the Abilify, I should have mentioned that before :) On its own, the Cymbalta works OK, but with the Abilify it's an awesome combo. When my Abilify dosage was increased from 5mg to 10mg, about six months ago, I did not notice any side effects like drowsiness . Just elevated mood.

Hi Vabredbabe,

I had the same experience as you with Abilify. It didn't seem to do anything for me. I was on 5 mg and then 10 mg. It made me SO tired, I started having to take naps, which I never did before. I decided to stop taking it and I didn't notice any difference at all in my depression.

Hi Jayco,

Did you stop taking it cold turkey or did you taper off of the Abilify? Just curious. I know I need my doctor 's advice. I am really beginning to think the drowsiness is caused by the Abilify. I am disappointed that the good effect I first had did not last and that increasing the dosage has not helped me. Oh well. I must carry on.

I appreciate your response.

Take care,

vbb/Deb

I have been on 2.5 mg. of Abilfy for a bit over a month. It helped me become "normal" after only about 3 days. I also take lexapro 20 mg. and mirtazapine 15mg. mainly to help sleep. About the only problem is that I switched from samples from the pdoc to a generic obtained from a Canadian Phamacy a few days ago, and now am having a twinge of anxiety that I wasn't having on the brand drug. The generic is made by Anam Pharaceutical in Singapore, and I have no idea how close it is to the brand name. But I may go up to 5 mg until I decide to spend 8 to 10 times the money to get the brand. My mental health would be worth it though if it makes that much difference.

JDP

Hi JDP,

When I first switched from brand Prozac to the generic form, I could tell a difference after about 2 weeks-I began to feel depressed. Even though the phamaceutical companies claim that the active ingredient is the same as in the brand prescription, I sure do wonder about that. I have read here on DP that others have had the same experience. I am beginning to feel like the Abilify (brand name) is not even working for me at all, even after an increase in the dosage and being on it since March. I am starting to feel low again, as I did months ago. Sure do look forward to my appointment with my psychiatrist.

I didn't know there was a generic for Abilify, but I am only recently familiar with the drug. I hope you can get it at a reasonable price if you need to go back to the name brand Abilify and I certainly hope it works for you.

Keep me up to date. Thanks,

vbb/Deb

Hi JDP,

When I first switched from brand Prozac to the generic form, I could tell a difference after about 2 weeks-I began to feel depressed. Even though the phamaceutical companies claim that the active ingredient is the same as in the brand prescription, I sure do wonder about that. I have read here on DP that others have had the same experience. I am beginning to feel like the Abilify (brand name) is not even working for me at all, even after an increase in the dosage and being on it since March. I am starting to feel low again, as I did months ago. Sure do look forward to my appointment with my psychiatrist.

I didn't know there was a generic for Abilify, but I am only recently familiar with the drug. I hope you can get it at a reasonable price if you need to go back to the name brand Abilify and I certainly hope it works for you.

Keep me up to date. Thanks,

vbb/Deb

The active ingredient itself is exactly the same, but there's an insane margin that generics only have to be between like 80% and 120% equivalent in dosage/bioavailability of the brand drug. So any given generic could be stronger or weaker than the branded drug and each generic can be different.

I don't have experience with abilify, but I do take fluoxetine, the generic form of Prozac. That has done wonders for me personally. I've heard for some people, prozac will eventually become less effective, generic or not, but I've only heard that, not had that confirmed to me by any doctor or pharmacist. Generic and name brand are the same in that regard, their active ingredient, the part that actually does the work, has to be the same per law.