Going Off Effexor Xr

I've only been on Effexor XR for 7 days, but, due to side effects, and just not liking the way I feel on the drug, I am planning to stop. Do you think I am going to suffer withdrawals after only a week on the med? I've prepared half doses by emptying half the contents of a few of the capsules just in case I suffer from discontinuation. I was just wondering if anyone took this med for a short period of time and then discontinued it. If so, were there discontinuation effects? Thanks.

I was on that exact same RX (although it was the generic version) for for 2-3 months or so, back in 2009. It was the last in a long line of meds I tried before losing my insurance, so I don't know how many of my withdrawal symptoms were a result of the Effexor XR alone.

I stopped completely cold-turkey without any kind of gradual step-down (I think your plan is better). What I remember most about that time - and something I haven't experienced with any other medication - are the "brain zaps," which lasted a solid week at least and were very bizarre to experience. I don't know exactly how to describe them, except to say that sometimes it felt like my entire head was trying to bounce off in one direction while the rest of my body was heading in another. I was also pretty fatigued and had quite the hormonal surge there for awhile.

I was amazed, though, by how much physically better I felt after dropping the Effexor XR. It took a few months to clear out of my system, but I had no idea how sick it had made me feel until I stopped taking it.

You haven't been taking it for very long and I'm certainly no expert, but I would assume (hope!) your withdrawal won't be as dramatic. YMMV, of course. ;)

Thanks, epic sky for your response. I'm familiar with the zaps because I've felt them when trying to go off paxil. A bizarre feeling, indeed. Hopefully, since I've only been on the med for a week, it won't be too bad. I'll let you know.