The Zoloft Coaster?

Hello, everyone!

I've been depressed for some time now and decided it was time to talk to my physician about it. I also have problems with anxiety. He prescribed me Zoloft to treat both depression and anxiety (he told me that they are related problems and if my depression improves then so would my anxiety). He instructed me to begin dosing at 25 milligrams of Zoloft per day and then to increase my dosage to 50 milligrams after one week. I started taking the medication roughly two weeks ago.

Prior to beginning my Zoloft regimen, I had been depressed for well over a year. I was essentially stuck in the funk of depression. I basically was sad all of the time; no happiness. Yes, it was bleak. Anyway, in the past couple of days I've been experiencing what feels like a rollercoaster of emotion. One moment I'm smiliing and happy (which I haven't felt in quite a while, I should add) and the next I'm feeling terrible and depressed. It's bizarre.

My question to this community is whether this is normal? I'm looking for reassurance that my emotions will stabilize at some point. While I'm very happy to not feel sad all day, it's almost (notice that I said almost! :smile: ) as bad to feel so strange.

Many thanks to everyone!

Edited by HappyTimes

Hi HappyTimes

You should stabilize after about 4 to 8 weeks. I am not a professional, but there are start up side effects and it can take that length of time to work into your system properly and start making a difference. I hope that it works for you.

Trace

Hey HappyTimes,

I'm also on 50mg generic version of Zoloft it has been almost three weeks I believe and the emotion coaster is quite a ride lol. The morning and day I feel blah and sad and I'm all eff the world. Then night time comes around and I'm happy and chipper, and all I want to do is kiss and hug my boyfriend.

No offense, I'm just happy I'm not the only one on this roller coaster, and that reply from Trace about stabilizing made me feel better. I YAWN TOO lol, I feel so bad cos I feel like people think I think they're boring or their stories are; they're not! It's just once I start I can't stop, and I'm not tired either. Speaking of which, are you falling asleep and staying asleep well? Just curious being I've been having a hard time with that.

Haha! That's no problem. Actually, I can relate to you. It's nice to hear others have been afflicted by incessant yawning. I thought I was the only one. :smile:

I'm now about three weeks into my Zoloft regimen. Nothing has changed since my first post. I'll post an update as things happen.

It's been a very bad couple of days for me. I've been experiencing severe anxiety (though again, I feel my depression is much better). It's almost like my depression has been alleviated at the expense of increasing my anxiety. I'm not yet at the four week mark on Zoloft but even so I don't feel like my anxiety is noticably better. I wish my anxiety would improve like my depression has.

If I don't feel any better in the next couple of days, I'm going to visit my doctor earlier than I had scheduled my checkup and see if he wants to adjust my medication.

I was on Zoloft for over a year and in the beginning it made my anxiety a heck of a lot worse. It seemed to take a while for that to subside. But it did go away. I wish I could tell you how long it for me, but that was three years ago (I can't remember what I had for lunch two days ago :blush21: ) but I do know that it took quite a few weeks once the mega-anxiety kicked in. The mega-anxiety started about 1-2 weeks after I started the Zoloft.

Well, most of the past week was actually great! I felt normal for a change. All was well.

Well, that is, until Saturday when I woke up with pretty heavy anxiety. Thankfully, it never developed into a full fledged panic attack. I felt a bit 'better' by mid-morning but the elevated anxiety remained until today, actually.

I think the Zoloft is working as normally I would have had a panic attack and been a wreck for a week or so. This time it never got that far (it wasn't nearly as bad as a panic attack) and it only lasted a couple of days.

I have my checkup coming up in a week or so and my doctor told me to expect a dosage increase.

In any event, I'm in a much better place depression wise than I was prior to starting Zoloft. I'll keep you all posted!

Thanks! :smile:

Edited by HappyTimes

• 2 weeks later...

I have been taking my Zoloft for 11 days now. I can say that I do have increased anxiety also and excessive yawning! My mind just races on thoughts that I need to just shut off but can't. I have also noticed my breath isn't as fresh as before! Ugh! Lots of chewing gum for me.

Wondering how you are getting along no that it has been a few more weeks.

I've been on zoloft for nearly a month.I as well had been on an emotional roller coaster. I can't say much for yawning though i have increased need to sleep. I sleep 12-16 hrs. per day this last week.My anxiety has decreased dramatically.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I've been super busy with work the past couple of weeks and I haven't had much down time. I wanted to check in and let all of you know how my Zoloft regimen is working out.

I visited my doctor earlier this week and he told me he wanted to increase my Zoloft dosage from 50 milligrams to 100 milligrams. I'm supposed to start taking 100 milligrams tomorrow. I'll let you know how my dosage increase works out.

I've been feeling some moderate anxiety for the past couple of days, but nothing major thankfully. Depression seems to be in check. I haven't had a really bad day in several weeks, which is great! I'm hoping that increasing my Zoloft dose will help with my anxiety. My doctor told me that if it doesn't help, he'll increase it again. So, it's pretty much a wait and see game. I'll go back to see him in a month or so and he'll decide whether to adjust my dosage then.

I'll keep you posted as things happen. I know that reading other people's posts have really helped me through my depression and anxiety struggle, so I hope that my posts will help others as well. :smile:

Hi HappyTimes,

i'm so happy for you, you do seem a lot more positive and optimistic and it gives me hope since i'm new to Zoloft myself so i thank you for that :D

so basically, how long did it take until you started feeling less depressed ? I have been on Zoloft 20 days now, first 9 days on Zoloft 50mg then my doctor increased the dosage up to 100mg.

almost all of the nasty side effects have worn off, some hot flashes every now and then and some mood swings but nothing that i cant handle. i'm looking forward to being HAPPY again, how long did it take you to reach that stage ?

Tamer,

For me, I begin to feel improvement after two and a half weeks. I then experienced some pretty wicked mood swings for another week and by my fourth week on Zoloft, my depression had subsided considerably. However, I still felt very elevated anxiety at that time.

I'm feeling pretty well all things considered and if I can get my anxiety under control (which is why my doctor upped my dosage to 100 milligrams daily) I'll be in a very good place. Good luck to you, Tamer. :smile:

Thanks for the info :smilingteeth: and i'm glad you are adjusting well to your medication and hopefully you will be anxiety free soon. i think i have started feeling some improvement myself " knock in wood LOL". I started Zoloft mainly bcoz of the severe AWFUL depression not the anxiety, i was not nervous and anxious as much i was hopeless and desperate. i only get bad anxiety during exams. anyway i feel a lot better now but almost always i become depressed at evenings and nights. will meet my doctor tomorrow and see what she thinks,, good luck and thanks again.

Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad I found this thread! I started zoloft a week ago. Started at 25 mg and am now at 50 mg. I am also weening myself off paxil so I have no idea if the way I feel is the withdrawals of the paxil or side effects of the zoloft. I do have a lot of anxiety now and I have a difficult time concentrating. I also am sleeping a LOT....10 hours a night, which is lots for me. I'm hoping this transition gets easier because I'm finding it difficult to concentrate at work. Does anybody else feel like they just want to take deep breaths...maybe that's kind of like the yawning.

Anyway, here's hoping this gets easier.

crystalclear

Hey crystalclear,

I'm sorry you are having bad anxiety, I understand how you feel because when my doctor put me on Zoloft ( almost 3 weeks ago ) she also took me off of Effexor 225mg COLD TURKEY, which i had been on for over a year. so Effexor withdrawals + Zoloft side effects = HORROR. but after a few weeks things got better pretty quickly and i'm noticing improvements almost everyday. So just hang in there and take it easy it WILL GET BETTER.

Dont worry about sleeping too much, it's probably just a side effect and it's really not too bad i mean personally i would rather sleep too much than be sleep deprived. I also had awful time concentrating and my thoughts were simply " all over the place", but it got better eventually. :smilingteeth:

Good luck and let us know how things go ..

Crystalclear,

Thanks will get easier. It just takes some time to take effect. I also have been sleeping alot! I go to bed around 8pm-9pm at night at wake up at 6am So I am also getting between 9-10 hours of sleep at night. I look forward to sleep. Its my escape. My anxiety did increase when I first started taking it so just know that it will get better. My yawning has slowed down too thank goodness!

Keep us updated!

• 1 month later...