What's your favourite 'depression busting' activity?

Josephine

what is your favourite 'depression busting' activi  

296 members have voted

1. 1. what is your favourite 'depression busting' activi

• knitting
    • reading
    • fishing
    • walking/other exercise
    • eating chocolate
    • online forums
    • church/other place of worship
    • sunbathing
    • sex
    • pampering self

Guest Fmadhadder

I'm just playing with you. I know Canadian civilization isn't any different than American. Just some minor differences but you guys aren't in the stone age or something.

• 2 weeks later...

*and now for something completely different*

did I mention gardening?  there's something about it that's therapeutic.  planting something, taking care, watching it grow. even nursing a sick plant back to health.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Walking helps me a lot.  Music with that :hearts:

Prolly more though is DF and Reflecting in my journal, then read a while to escape.  

Also, deciding what to do about what is bothering me is empowering and fights depression.

Sex is great, but when depression peaks, I am too distraught to engage, except for happy accidents.

• 4 weeks later...

Shopping :shocked:

Going to get my hair and nails done :shocked:

Sex :bump:

forums (although sometimes it can increase my depression) :blush21:

Exercise :hearts:

I love reading too, but lately I just don't have the concentration- The more depakote, the easier it is to do.

Kalley :holloween:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've voted online forum. I'm currently a member of 2 (fashion18.com and here), and both places are a good place to let off some steam.. and people will care and listen. Anything sexual is out of the question though, when I get a really hard blow of the mood swings.. because I just get angry.

I would have liked to have voted on a few of the choices, but overall for me it has to be online.

BUT... it has to be "the right" online forum :hearts:

I like having a place to go online that has an active group.

I have been to some religious forums only to get quite depressed on those.

So many intolerant people :bump:

I choose online also because I have no real life friends to talk to and just share a cup of coffee with.

next to that is exercising... but I can't motivate myself when I'm really in a funk.

Drinking water really helps my mood.

And I love to shop , but too many times I don't like going alone :shocked:

I would probably say that, for me, it can be different things at different times.

I voted for exercise but sometimes it's talking with a friend on the phone or forums or pampering myself. I'm a knitter but when I'm feeling too stressed out I can't even concentrate or have the desire to knit.

You didn't put "sleep" on there :hearts:

When I'm home, I like to read, but it doesn't really help me deal with what's getting me down, it just distracts me.

When I'm at work, I like to visit DF. It's really nice to read motivational thoughts from others and know that you're not alone. Maybe I'll try this when I'm at home too. I just joined and I've been at work since just after Christmas. I get to go home in a few days!

A

i have a few activities

i can hang around and watch the news, follow the market obsessively, cooking something good, going for a long walk, and playing backgammon on the internet, DF, and taking a long nap while having the phone off the hook.

now that i'm reading what i wrote, seems like never a boring moment, and it's not the worst thing in the world to be depressed.

thank "God"

rachel

I voted for reading. What better way to escape the real world then by entering another world of fiction.

Unfortunately when I am really down though, I find concentrating on reading difficult. The best thing I can think of then is crawling into bed and crying myself to sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Curling up with my kids makes me the happiest guy in the world. I have an 8 year old son & twin 3 year old girls and after having a rough day ( which seems to be all the time nowadays ) just sitting on the couch with the kids in my arms and watching one of their shows on tv is the best medicine in the world.

Tommy