On-Line Tests For Hamilton Depression Scale, Zung, Montgomery-Asberg

ellemint

I found a site where you can test yourself on the most common depression scales (and one anxiety scale) and they are scored for you. You can print out your results , let's say in case you wanted to take them to your doctor. Or use them for your own interest. Only one is a self-report scale, the rest are written from the viewpoint of a clinician interviewing you but I would think most people would have no difficulty with the other tests, since they are based on you. One of the tests (the Montgomery-Asberg scale) provides an interpretation of your score in terms of normal, mild moderate or severe depression. The rest I found the interpretation of the scores is easily available on Wikipedia.

The tests on the site are:

Hamilton Depression Scale - this is not a self-report scale, it is written from the viewpoint of a clinician interviewing you

Hamilton Anxiety Scale

Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale

Zung Self-Rating Depression Scale

and 2 for geriatric populations

The link is to the Montgomery-Asberg scale, the rest of the tests are found at the bottom of the results page when you finish.

http://farmacologiac...o/scales/MADRS/

Just click on "start now" in the middle of the page, you don't have to become a member or be a member of anything to do these tests. If it asks you if you want to join their association I just back-paged out of there and started over.

:)

Edited by ellemint

On Montgomery - Asberger I was 'Moderate Depression'. I scored highest on:

'Sadness' #1 & 2,

'Lassitude' #7 - "Difficulties in starting simple routine activities which are carried out with effort".

The effort it takes for me to do anything is a struggle every day.

Edited by ellemint

At the moment on the M-A test, I'm 32 - 'moderate depression' but very close to the severe range. ellemint, I've had a fear of action at times that has been paralyzing any has led quickly to panicky depression. I'm really with you on this. Forcing myself for the time being to get out of bed and taking care of things is just totally essential and critical for me. When I don't do it, I'm risking an extreme fall. So with you on this.

I'm also at 32 on the M-A test. Would be much worse if I hadn't started on meds a week or so ago ...

Thanks very much for posting that link and info!

Here is another one I found, Beck's Depression Inventory. You have to add up the score yourself, though.

http://www.fehb.org/CSE/CCSEConference2012/BeckDepressionInventory.pdf

Edited by etherize

Thank you etherize. I think the Beck inventory is a good scale.

I scored 24 - moderate depression.

On all of these I'm scoring in the moderate depression range --- which is kind of encouraging because in the winter I think I would have been in the severe range. But a little discouraging because I have been working quite hard since last fall to beat this depression. But nevertheless I'm progressing in the right direction, and it wasn't until June that I found a good psychiatrist.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lisa --- that sucks. I feel for you. Are you getting support and/or treatment for this?

take care,

ellemint

Yes, I'm on meds and have begun seeing a therapist again. I've been on the meds for several months, and they worked before, but now, not so much.

Hi Lisa --- that sucks. I feel for you. Are you getting support and/or treatment for this?

take care,

ellemint

Yes, I'm on meds and have begun seeing a therapist again. I've been on the meds for several months, and they worked before, but now, not so much.

That seems to happen a lot --- a drug will be more effective the first time around than the second or third. I'm beginning to think it is something to do with the drugs themselves--- they may modify neuronal synaptic structure enough (like receptors getting shut down because of a flood of serotonin) so that subsequent use is less effective.

take care,

ellemint

That seems to happen a lot --- a drug will be more effective the first time around than the second or third. I'm beginning to think it is something to do with the drugs themselves--- they may modify neuronal synaptic structure enough (like receptors getting shut down because of a flood of serotonin) so that subsequent use is less effective.

That makes sense. I just don't know if my regular doc will be willing to walk with me through the process of seeing if a different med (or increasing the dosage of the one I'm on) will work. I'll find out on Monday when I see her.

I got a 32 on the MA scale and a 26 on the hamilton scale.. I retook the hamilton scale to get it down to a 26 because I didn't like the higher scores. Would you say that picking at your arm until scarring along with biting nails until bleeding warrants the last choice for the question that applies for in the hamilton scale, or the 3rd choice.. I can't see it anymore because I need to become a member now since I redid it.

I have been taking prozac for almost 6 weeks and I see a therapist once every 2 weeks.

Edited by Flightlesone

I got a 32 on the MA scale and a 26 on the hamilton scale.. I retook the hamilton scale to get it down to a 26 because I didn't like the higher scores. Would you say that picking at your arm until scarring along with biting nails until bleeding warrants the last choice for the question that applies for in the hamilton scale, or the 3rd choice.. I can't see it anymore because I need to become a member now since I redid it.

I have been taking prozac for almost 6 weeks and I see a therapist once every 2 weeks.

Flightlesone,

If you wait a day or two it will let you do the tests again for free.

re the nail biting, if you are referring to question #9 -' Agitation' on the Hamilton Depression Scale where 4 = hand wringing, nail biting, hair-pulling, biting of lips ---- it seems that based on what you describe you would score a 4.

I hope your scores go down !

take care,

ellemint

Hi ellemint, yes I am currently recieving treatment and am waiting to see a psychiatrist. Only started getting treatment last year but have been this way for 15 years so I know there is a long way to go. Thank you for the reply!

I hope the wait for the psychiatrist is not too long --- I finally found a good one this June. It made such a difference :)

ellemint