Sign in to follow this  
AmyMarie

Weight-Neutral Antidepressants?

Hi,

I am weaned off Cymbalta due to cost and weight gain. I was wondering which antidepressants are LEAST likely to cause weight gain. I've done research and there seems to be no definitive answer. I guess it varies from person to person, but I thought I would ask here to get a general consensus of folks' experiences.

Thanks in advance!

AmyMarie

I gained weight on Lexapro, and worse... I couldn't lose it. (I run year round - usually about 25 miles a week.)

I quit taking Lexapro and almost immediately started losing weight.

Yes. My Pdoc said that Lexapro was not linked to weight gain, but my therapist - and just about everyone I know that has taken it - disagree.

Wellbutrin, on the other hand, was weight neutral for me when it was added to the other drug I was taking at the time.

Effexor and Remeron where weight gainers for me....Cymbalta and Celexa weight stayed about the same :-)

I believe that it's different for everyone, so unfortunately there's not really a black and white answer. I recommend talking to your doctor about it, but they'll likely tell you something similar.

I personally take fluoxetine/prozac. Weight gain is listed as a possible side effect, but I personally have not had any trouble with it.

AmyMarie,

Wellbutrin reduced my appetite, which generally goes hand in hand with losing weight (or at least not gaining any). I hope that Wellbutrin XL doesn't turn out to be a weight gainer for you, and I hope that you have an overall good experience with the medication.

Tomatheus

Wellbutrin is the only anti-depressant that specifically states 'decrease in appetite' and 'weight loss' as one of the side effects, and says nothing about weight gain...(that I have found in my research) Wellbutrin also kind of buzzed me up a little at first.....

:cat_jumps:

Effexor XR also states in its side effects that weight loss is a possibility. Pristiq is said to be weight neutral. I was on Pristiq for a year and actually lost weight. Would've stayed on Pristiq but the cost was high even with insurance.

Hi AmyMarie,

Nice to meet you. I love your avatar. I am a huge fan of "I Love Lucy," and my favorite episode is the one portrayed in your icon. How are you today? I gained weight on a TCA called "Tofranil." I have not noticed weight gain on Zoloft, Lexapro or Celexa. Everyone is different. I found I gain weigh when on diet products containing phenylalanine. The substance makes products "sugar free" but stimulates my appetite. I don't know about other people. Have a nice day!

i gained a significant amount of weight on prozac, although if it wasn't for the hunger issue i would have never of stopped taking it. I have heard of welbuturin from a friend. she is bipolar, she said it helped suppress her appetite.

Edited by sly1986

I gained weight on Celexa and Remeron (Mirtazapine). Have lost weight on Wellbutrin XR.

Just started Pristiq a week ago and haven't gained or lost weight so far.

Hi. I've been taking Cymbalta for a few years and it has never seemed to affect my weight. I am also taking Lyrica and it definitely has a calming effect which I like. Every other AD I have tried has had some drawback from teeth grinding to weight gain. It's hard to find the right drug that hits the root of the problem. Good Luck in your quest!

I've been on Lexapro for over a year and I haven't gained any weight from it. I also didn't gain any from Prozac or Zoloft, and lost A TON on Celexa (about 10lbs in 2-3 weeks -- it made me super nauseous and killed my appetite, plus made me sleep all day everyday so I wasn't awake to eat anyway)...

For some reason fluoxetine/Prozac causes weight loss for me.

Zoloft/Sertraline also seemed to make my appetite decreased.

The worst is Elavil/Amitriptylline. It makes you drowsy , and also helps w. depression, but also gives you a "sweet tooth" /craving. Things I didnt even normally ever like.

Best advice I have is try to focus on finding the one med that's right for you. I think that's the key. I was my heaviest ever while taking good ol' 'weight neutral' wellbutrin. Then I switched to 'makes you gain like a pig' Paxil, and have lost 45 lbs. so far. Oh, and it (Paxil) also makes me crave things I didn't normally like -- only in my case it's low fat cottage cheese, vegetables, and other healthy foods.

Effexor XR also states in its side effects that weight loss is a possibility. Pristiq is said to be weight neutral. I was on Pristiq for a year and actually lost weight. Would've stayed on Pristiq but the cost was high even with insurance.

How do you like the Pristiq? My pdoc prescribed it for me. I looked it up and all of the side effects scared the watusi out of me. I didn't get it filled. Do you have a slow metabolism or a fast one? Mine is slow that's why I'm asking. I'm on Neurontin,Trazadone,Klonapin,Cymbalta,Trileptal, Adderall. You'd think that all of those meds would make me as happy as a clam in a mud puddle. But no. I'm not that lucky.