Feeling Hyperactive After A Severe Depression

elevenoceans

Hi,

After living with depression and feeling miserable for so many time (I came from a very complicated nervous breakdown), now I am having a strange sensation. I do not feel depressed at all. Actually I have a lot of motivation to do things which wasn't the case when I was depressed. Recently I have been starting several projects and I am feeling exhausted but it is very difficult for me to stop and I keep doing things even when feeling very tired. It is like an obsession. This month I had 2 vacation weeks but I wasn't able to relax because I was always doing something. I finished my vacation more exhausted then when I started.

Just to give you an example of some of the projects I started on the last 2 or 3 months: started learning Spanish, applied for a master degree program, joined a toastmasters club, have been practicing yoga most of the days and reading everything I could about yoga (before that I was doing only 1 or 2 yoga sessions a week,) started jogging 3 times a week, a great interest for music and other everyday little things (and I have my job..).

Last year I was concerned I could have a bipolar disorder because this is not the first time I got hyperactive but my doctor said that I only needed to treat my depression because of the breakdown. I thought the way I am feeling right now could be anxiety or even bipolarity and I visited my pdoc last Tuesday because of this. He said that my problem was that I felt tired and prescribed a med to help with the fatigue. He said also to continue with the antidepressive and to forget the bipolarity.

I do not feel any depression but I am feeling a great pressure to do things and I promised me to not do anything this weekend. Right now I am writing this words at 3 AM (Europe) because I can't sleep.

I do not know exactly what to do right now because my current pdoc helped me so much with depression (I tried 2 pdocs before without success) but it seems he is not able to help me now. Maybe because the bipolar disorder is not a so common disease and most pdocs do not have many experience with it: I also know that it could be difficult to diagnose a bipolar disorder. I could even not have a BD.

Thank you for reading my post. What is your feedback on this?

Of course I'm no professional, but it kinda sounds like bipolar to me. Maybe it's time to see a new pdoc for another opinion? In any case, I'm so glad to hear you're free of depression!

Edited by matters

Hi elevenoceans,

I don't know that there is anything wrong with all you are pursuing at all! You are likely overcompensating a bit for time lost during your depressed state, but think of all the good you've accomplished. I think with time you will slow down, but if it starts to really interfere with your life, then you do need to talk to your Dr. again.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

Elevenoceans, what you're describing does sound a bit like bipolar. How many hours a night are you sleeping?

Here is a good booklet by the NIMH about Bipolar that might give you more information.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder/complete-index.shtml

This may be more than you want to undertake, but here is a link to a tool for graphing your moods and hours of sleep. Maybe you could try filling this out for a while and then showing it to your pdoc.

http://www.cqaimh.org/pdf/tool_edu_moodchart.pdf

Another way to chart this is to try to remember and chart let's say the last 10 years, to see if you have had periods of depression alternating with periods of very high mood. That might give you and your doctor some indication.

Bipolar is often very hard to diagnose and most people with bipolar are often misdiagnosed for several years before receiving the correct diagnosis. There are are two types of Bipolar depression diagnoses: Bipolar I and Bipolar II. Bipolar II is a lot harder to diagnose.

wishing you well,

ellemint

Hi Elevenoceans,

I have had the exact same experience, multiple times. Deep dark depression followed by a sudden crazy upswing with a lot of the same symptoms you describe. I don't know that I would consider my own experiences full-blown "mania," but they definitely aren't normal and I've learned over time not to take myself too seriously or make any really important/drastic decisions when I'm in that state of mind. On the flip side, I have also learned to use it to my advantage a bit and get things done that I normally would be too depressed to tackle otherwise, so I guess it's kind of a mixed bag.

I agree with the other posters, though: if it worries you, you should talk to your doctor (or maybe get a second opinion?). I've never talked to anyone about my own symptoms (lack of insurance slows me down) but I know I should take my own advice here. I don't think I'm full-on Bipolar, but I've done enough research to possibly suspect Bipolar II. Whatever the cause, it can be a really unsettling experience and I sympathize completely.

Hi,

After living with depression and feeling miserable for so many time (I came from a very complicated nervous breakdown), now I am having a strange sensation. I do not feel depressed at all. Actually I have a lot of motivation to do things which wasn't the case when I was depressed. Recently I have been starting several projects and I am feeling exhausted but it is very difficult for me to stop and I keep doing things even when feeling very tired. It is like an obsession. This month I had 2 vacation weeks but I wasn't able to relax because I was always doing something. I finished my vacation more exhausted then when I started.

Just to give you an example of some of the projects I started on the last 2 or 3 months: started learning Spanish, applied for a master degree program, joined a toastmasters club, have been practicing yoga most of the days and reading everything I could about yoga (before that I was doing only 1 or 2 yoga sessions a week,) started jogging 3 times a week, a great interest for music and other everyday little things (and I have my job..).

Last year I was concerned I could have a bipolar disorder because this is not the first time I got hyperactive but my doctor said that I only needed to treat my depression because of the breakdown. I thought the way I am feeling right now could be anxiety or even bipolarity and I visited my pdoc last Tuesday because of this. He said that my problem was that I felt tired and prescribed a med to help with the fatigue. He said also to continue with the antidepressive and to forget the bipolarity.

I do not feel any depression but I am feeling a great pressure to do things and I promised me to not do anything this weekend. Right now I am writing this words at 3 AM (Europe) because I can't sleep.

I do not know exactly what to do right now because my current pdoc helped me so much with depression (I tried 2 pdocs before without success) but it seems he is not able to help me now. Maybe because the bipolar disorder is not a so common disease and most pdocs do not have many experience with it: I also know that it could be difficult to diagnose a bipolar disorder. I could even not have a BD.

Thank you for reading my post. What is your feedback on this?

These are the signs to see the Psych I had similar situation occur it took them years to finally realize it was not as some put it "Depression" I am Bipolar extreme depression and after a extreme almost high.. As the years progressed the up's and downs happened more quickly I am not saying you have the same diagnosis but I would surely go back to the Pdoc

I wonder what's driving your desire to start so many projects? Is it that, this way you can improve yourself to a more ideal person or are you just looking for a change? If you learnt Spanish, became a better speaker or became better at yoga what would that do for you? Those are fantastic goals, but it sounds to me like you're trying to prove something that way. Do tell me if I'm wrong.

A lot of what you are experiencing sounds like mania (or maybe hypomania) to me. I'm kind of surprised that your pdoc is completely poo-pooing the notion. You might consider getting another opinion, not just for the sake of putting a label on what you have, but rather to make sure you are getting the right treatment. What you describe sounds an awful lot like my behavior when I am starting to enter a manic cycle.

On the flip side, it must feel good to be so energized after a severe depression. Maybe it's just that you were held down by your depression for so long that when it lifted a little, your mind responded with serious motiviation. Also, some antidepressants are known to trigger mania, so that might be worth looking into. At the very least, I'm glad that your depression has improved for the time being. Good luck to you!