Sign in to follow this  
teddy01

Just How Long Do You Give Wellbutrin..?

I'm currently 6 weeks in and not feeling any better. I won't go into great detail but it's making me feel more foggy than normal, very tired, and about the same emotionally as I was before.

I remember reading a few threads on here a while ago where some posters said they felt better after 8 weeks and even one or two said 10 weeks. But those posters never followed up and said if it kept working or if it was just a temp thing, so it's hard to know if that's a timeframe that one could expect to see improvement on.

About everything I've read says give Wellbutrin 6 weeks. I'm there and no improvement, so I'm not sure what to do now. I'm looking for some quick info from some longer time users on this board.

How long did it take for the drug to work for you? Anyone have to go over 6 weeks and then find success with it? Also if it is working, what other drugs (if any) are you on?

I would really appreciate some timeframe info from anyone who can help out. Thanks!

*ps, my doc wasn't much help, he just said well if you don't feel better then maybe you should quit taking it, it's up to you if you want to try longer or not.

I haven't taken this for 6-8 weeks, but I believe you should at least give it the full 8 week trial. Im doing it, I know its very hard at times but try your best to distract yourself, that way its much smoother. I even read a story that someone took it for 18 weeks before it even worked. 18 weeks. If that guy can wait that long, we all sure can, I haven't been on any other antidepressant before but I feel like this is the only one that really works right for certain brain chemistries. Hopefully it wont take that long, i'm pretty sure it wont.

I'm currently taking Wellbutrin, along with Abilify and Depakote. Wellbutrin was the first drug I went on. It took me about 7-8 weeks to feel the effects. The Wellbutrin continued to work after that, but in my particular case it was not enough on its own, hence the other two drugs.

I would definitely give it a full 8 weeks before you give up. Good luck.

I agree, stick it out. I had had Effexor and it didn't work, and Wellbutrin helped immensely. I needed anti anxiety meds too, but the Wellbutrin booted me out of the depression where other meds hadn't worked. Glad to tekll you that it can get better; I am now fully free of depression and have been for over a year. It's a hard place and these formus do help and did work for me.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep on keepin on. The thing that worries me is how tired this drug makes me....because it's supposed to have the opposite effect. That's what kind of worries me that this maybe isn't a good match for my body chemistry. I'm not sure if anyone else takes it at night? I have tried taking during the day but it's just too much, my head feels so weird and I can't concentrate at all and I feel spaced out....so I take it at night and sleep great, but I'm exhausted mentally all day, like it takes supreme effort to make my brain function.

I'm at 7 weeks tomorrow and still feel pretty bad. Head always hurts, tired, foggy, hard to concentrate. Not seeing how all of that will magically turn around in a week.

The analogy I would use is this: I've never really played baseball, say if you told me you're going to take me to the batting cages every day for 8 weeks and by the end I'll be hitting 80% of the balls that come my way. I would assume there would be some kind of signs of progress or buildup as we got closer to the goal. If by week 7 I'm still hitting 15% I wouldn't see any way that I'd miraculously turn it around in one week.

That's what I worry about with this. I assume the people who had it work after 8 weeks at least started feeling somewhat better here and there as they got closer to the end, no? It still just feels like it's too much for my brain, I'm just as anxious/down but with the added side effects of headaches and tiredness and concentration issues. If in one week that all suddenly turned around I would quit my job and hit the road and become the official spokesman for Wellbutrin.

Well 15% is at least something. Yes, its a huge tease when you start feeling good then all of a sudden you divert back into depression, but don't quit it all for nothing. I wouldn't expect it to be some miraculous cure for everything either, Who knows, maybe it will turn around. Im 5 weeks deep tomorrow, and I HAVE felt good for 2 days, crashed, then now i'm having mood swings/anxiety but I'm definitely sticking out with it. It's my only option too, and if you quit prematurely, you may never know if you started to actually feel better the next day, i'll keep on taking it even I end up taking it for weeks and weeks, I don't want to give up that easily.

You should definitely read this, it's good motivation, seriously.

Edited by Suckip

Thanks suckip, I needed to see something positive from a wellbutrin user.

I agree with basically all of what that poster said too. I do my best to put on a front and I'd say probably most of the people in my life (outside of my gf and brother) don't know I'm depressed/anxious to this level. Most probably think I"m quiet but pretty happy go lucky overall. I've done the cognitive therapy and all that and I feel like I'm a decent actor, for whatever that's worth. Although I will say since starting the wellbutrin I've had several people at work comment that I look tired or sick (in a nice way of course) and ask me if I have the flu....the blaaagghhh feeling this gives me is really hard to hide sometimes. The internet is great for venting though :) . Pretending to feel good isn't my goal, actually feeling good is. So everything he said I can relate to, was a good post.

And...23 weeks..??? Nooooooo ....I give that guy major props for sticking it out that long, geez. My own doctor is telling me if after 6 weeks it's not working then try something else. I feel like I'm bucking the system by holding out for 8. I keep telling myself in the back of my mind that I'll push to 10, but I don't want to think about that yet, too daunting.

I just entered the 5th week mark, and for the first time in my life I don't think i've ever felt this suicidal. I know I will NEVER do any harm to myself, but holy s*** this is insane. I like to think of it as pent up emotions for sooooooo long finally being released. There are definitely moments where I feel I am in more control of myself, and i'm definitely gonna stick this out, because I know in the end this medication will work for me.

I have been putting on a front too, I just got a job and im training, I have all these really bad thoughts running in my head while I try to maintain myself as best as possible while I get trained and whatnot. It sucks, but I haven't gone this far for nothing. I definitely get you though on pretending to feel better when you actually aren't, I would LOVE to feel better and not pretend too. I guess i'm at least getting somewhat better in my interactions even though i've been feeling worse, kinda ironic in a sense.

Yeah I hear ya. I had a decent day yesterday, felt kind of clear, but back to feeling ugghhh mentally today. Biggest challenge for me right now is not shutting myself off from the world. I trudge through work and when I get off I just want to lay down in bed and it's hard to keep trying to put on a happy face when I'm around the people in my life...but gotta try. Hmmmm yeah I think I feel a little worse in my interactions, a little more down than normal and a little more anxious, makes it hard to focus and have a normal conversation with someone. Just hit week 7 yest....maybe the good stuff kicks in week 8...

Day 52, a couple days away from 8 weeks.....optimism waning fast. Still not doing good at all, feel worse overall than I did when started I think. I know we have outlier examples of this guy who felt good after 13 weeks or tis girl that felt good after 10 weeks or whatever....but what does that represent? 5% of the population of users maybe? Everything I read says 6-8 weeks and I'm about to hit 8 and not building up or anything, still feel like crap. Already making plans for what to try next....the road that I've been down many times and didn't want to go down again...

The more and more stories I read from wellbutrin users the more I begin to think it isn't for me. Most people I see debating the helpfullness of the drug in the 1-2 or more month period are talking abt pros and cons and it helps this but I have to deal with this etc etc. I thought that was a good idea then realized....uh oh...no pros. It doesn't give me energy, actually the opposite it makes me so so tired. I don't feel any happier. I feel more anxious. I can't come up with one positive this drug has given me in two months. The only thing is some days i don't feel as horrible as others...I don't feel good, I just feel "regular" bad. That was easy to ride with the first few weeks because I kept telling myself it was just the startup. But nothing is changing.

I want to stick it out but the last 4 days I've felt worse somehow, I now have this weird headache that isn't a headache, it's like my brain feels swollen dull pain, hard to describe. It's weird and it's lasted basically all day the past several days. Sorry, I'm not looking for any magical answers from anyone here or anything, I'm just venting.

I just entered the 5th week mark, and for the first time in my life I don't think i've ever felt this suicidal. I know I will NEVER do any harm to myself, but holy s*** this is insane.

Hi Suckip. I know exactly how you feel. I don't think I've ever felt so strange and it's scary. It's not sitting down and devising a plan or contemplating different methods but this almost uncontrollable feeling that comes over you. I've felt really, really low before, rock bottom, but somehow this is diferent. That's how it is for me and that's the best way I can describe it.

The more and more stories I read from wellbutrin users the more I begin to think it isn't for me. Most people I see debating the helpfullness of the drug in the 1-2 or more month period are talking abt pros and cons and it helps this but I have to deal with this etc etc. I thought that was a good idea then realized....uh oh...no pros. It doesn't give me energy, actually the opposite it makes me so so tired. I don't feel any happier. I feel more anxious. I can't come up with one positive this drug has given me in two months. The only thing is some days i don't feel as horrible as others...I don't feel good, I just feel "regular" bad. That was easy to ride with the first few weeks because I kept telling myself it was just the startup. But nothing is changing.

I want to stick it out but the last 4 days I've felt worse somehow, I now have this weird headache that isn't a headache, it's like my brain feels swollen dull pain, hard to describe. It's weird and it's lasted basically all day the past several days. Sorry, I'm not looking for any magical answers from anyone here or anything, I'm just venting.

Hi teddy01. I'm beginning week 13. I started with generic 100mg. SR 2x day (for 12 weeks) and last week was upped to 200mg. SR 2x day. I never had the Honeymoon period, increased energy, motivation, euphoria or feeling great. The only reason I stuck with it for so long was because of what I read here. I've never had to wait for SO long to see if something was going to work. For weeks I was extremely depressed, worse than before, would cry a lot, was irritable, anxious, had horrible panic attacks and didn't get enough sleep. On a day when I though it might be starting to work because I slept better and wasn't crying, BOOM, back to square 1. The rollercoaster everyone talks about. Very ...... uh, depressing. About 8 weeks in, I felt a little better, meaning the side effects had subsided some but I was still tired, anxious and down or feeling flat. The only good thing was I lost 7 lbs. but have since gained 4 lbs. back. That good side effect is gone. Last week when my Doc doubled my dose I seemed to tolerate it well until yesterday when I got that deathly feeling and major panic again. Of course no one was home which dramatically intensified the feelings. Even Klonopin didn't take it away. Today I had a similar episode. I experienced this in the first 8 weeks too but hung on to hope and was determined to tough it out because I wanted to feel good again and also wanted the energy and weight control/loss.

So, with that said, I'm wondering the same things as you are teddy01. Will it still happen or did we go through Hellbutrin for nothing? I'm very discouraged at this point myself.

Hi teddy01. I'm beginning week 13. I started with generic 100mg. SR 2x day (for 12 weeks) and last week was upped to 200mg. SR 2x day. I never had the Honeymoon period, increased energy, motivation, euphoria or feeling great. The only reason I stuck with it for so long was because of what I read here. I've never had to wait for SO long to see if something was going to work. For weeks I was extremely depressed, worse than before, would cry a lot, was irritable, anxious, had horrible panic attacks and didn't get enough sleep. On a day when I though it might be starting to work because I slept better and wasn't crying, BOOM, back to square 1. The rollercoaster everyone talks about. Very ...... uh, depressing. About 8 weeks in, I felt a little better, meaning the side effects had subsided some but I was still tired, anxious and down or feeling flat. The only good thing was I lost 7 lbs. but have since gained 4 lbs. back. That good side effect is gone. Last week when my Doc doubled my dose I seemed to tolerate it well until yesterday when I got that deathly feeling and major panic again. Of course no one was home which dramatically intensified the feelings. Even Klonopin didn't take it away. Today I had a similar episode. I experienced this in the first 8 weeks too but hung on to hope and was determined to tough it out because I wanted to feel good again and also wanted the energy and weight control/loss.

So, with that said, I'm wondering the same things as you are teddy01. Will it still happen or did we go through Hellbutrin for nothing? I'm very discouraged at this point myself.

Sorry to hear that it's not working for you either apricot. Kudos for having the willpower to stick out 13 weeks like that though. One thing I noticed more today is the head pain feeling seems to be tied to anxiety for me. I'm at the point now where if I'm talking to people or people talk to me I get really anxious and my head hurts. I've always been anxious and an introvert for sure, but I've made some progress there over the years, at least a little. I normally feel shy, but not like I want to totally avoid others like I do now. I feel like I did 10 yrs ago now where even interacting with people is giving me an anxiety attack. I think a big part of it is this groggy foggy head I have now, it takes me longer to put thoughts together and express myself so I feel like I'm just staring at the other person like a mental patient.

I read back through my last years journal and I've tried several drugs in that timeframe...the only two times I felt sort of ok were when I was on nothing and when I was on low dose trazadone. I still feel like ssri's/snri's/buproprin/etc are just too strong for me, it makes my head feel weird, and it just feels like "too much" every one that I try. I've done a lot of research on that and I have read info about livers and enzymes and how certain people just process these meds too fast through their systems and it makes them feel bad instead of good. I fear this is me.

Anyway, When I stopped all meds I felt good for a while but it didn't last long though. When I was on traz I only did it for about 3 weeks and I felt kind of good, not great, but I stopped that due to sexual side effects/no libido. I'm thinking I may give traz a try again....not sure if anyone has experience with trazadone and wellbutrin together. Thought about trying that (after talking to dr of course), but I'm still not sure what good reason I'd stay on wellbutrin though. I guess the only reason would be blind hope....that 10 or 12 or 14 or 16 or 50 or however many weeks in it would finally "kick in".

Edited by teddy01

I feel for you too teddy and Suckip. I should have kept a journal of my symptoms and experiences when I started this. I go through spurts with the headaches. It's either over one eye or between my eyes. I don't consider them high on my list of bad side effects though.The others are much worse. Like you, this med makes me tired and that's a complaint I already had. What's the deal? I'm not sure if my problem is social anxiety or what to call it. I don't feel like socializing or going out unless I'm in the mood. Other times I'm dying to do something or visit friends or family.

I tried Trazadone (Desyrel) years ago but got terrible stomache pains due to anxiety, very scary nightmares that were hard to shake and felt like I could just punch someone. I usually don't contemplate or desire to hit people. :smilingteeth: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor and Effexor XR, Pamelor (Nortriptyline), Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Lexapro, Cymbalta .......

The BEST med I was ever on was Serzone. Absolutely no side effects except thirst which is nothing to complain about. It did for me what Wellbutrin is supposed to do. No sexual side effects, no weight gain, no tiredness, no sleep disturbance, no irritability, no zombie effect etc.. Once the generic came out it wasn't as good but it was OK. I know that's not true of all generics. Unfortunately they took it off the market.

BTW, what dose are you on and is it SR or XL?

We must hang in there teddy, I think it should kick in by 50 weeks! :mad1:

Day 40 right here. I think I may start to finally experience the benefits, but honestly I feel so exhausted from all the mental effort/strain I put myself through, so I pretty much feel mentally spent, and even physically too. Its a lot better than feeling suicidal, and I almost had a psychotic freakout on someone who did NOT deserve it, im so relieved that I actually didnt do that, but man, this is all a draining experience. I can say I feel better though, not euphoric, but more normal. Maybe the medicine is slowly kicking in finally. Pretty much i'm feeling mentally and physically exhausted, but a lot better than those crazy psychotic suicidal feelings I was experiencing. Just wait it out guys, seriously, and for the love of god PLEASE dont freak out on anyone when you feel that bad lol, I would've suffered some pretty bad consequences and I would've felt even worse for doing it. Can't wait until I feel mentally rejuvenated though, im so tired and lazy atm lol.

Also, i'm not planning on quitting this, not for a LONG time. I know the only one that can truly get myself out of this but I absolutely NEED this. Really, i've tried every other option and it then it came down to take meds and feel better, or continue to have a really ****ed up chemical imbalance for the rest of your life. I know this isn't gonna magically make my problems go away, im fine with that, when this actually kicks in i'll definitely have enough mental clarity to beat them.

Edited by Suckip

Glad to hear you're feeling somewhat better Suckip. You'll probably still have ups and downs yet. Just as long as there aren't any more suicidal or near psychotic freakouts. :smile:

It's such a blessing to be able to share, encourage, vent, seek advice or whatever. Let's face it, people would understand and be more supportive if we had a physical problem. This forum is a Godsend. Thank you. :hearts:

I asked my Doc if she knew what a difficult startup Wellbutrin has and she didn't know what I was talking about. Scary. I never received any warnings and if I hadn't researched and found that others were experiencing the same things, I would have given up very quickly.

Honestly I haven't had a suicidal/psychotic freakout ever since, but I dont want to jinx that lol. I have been definitely feeling better, i'm still trying to recuperate and get my energy back, and I can feel my libido finally coming back after 2 years, its not fully back but I can see good things coming my way soon lol. I really hope I don't experience any more downs, i'm so sick of feeling like that now that I finally got a job/getting my social life back and finding the motivation to enjoy the things i used to really enjoy.

So apricot, how do you keep going on it? I wish I had the same drive. Each day just keeps getting worse for me. A few weeks ago I thought kinda maybe sorta it might start to work and it's been all downhill since. I'm making mistakes all the time at work now, I can't even think straight, I do feel rock bottom, somehow lower than I was when I started. ugh. I'm at exactly 8 weeks now and I don't think I can go any longer. It's negatively affecting my life too much. If I even just felt no effect like I normally do then I could keep pushing, but I can't stand this anymore. Despite all that I keep telling myself just go one more day, just one more day...we'll see how long I can keep going with that before stopping wb alltogether.

Anyone know if you can split the pill?? I just feel like I said before, it just feels like too much for me. It's xl and coated and all that so I don't think you can split it like a regular pill unfortunately though :(

Hi teddy,

PLEASE DO NOT SPLIT A PILL!!! It's time released and you would get too much at one time.

Sorry you are feeling worse. I know I felt that way too. BAD.

I'm starting to lose hope too and hate feeling on the verge of panic. I woke up early in a very anxious state. As I mentioned earlier, I went from 100mg. 2x day to 200mg. 2x day last Monday. I think the increased panic, anxiety and low feelings are due to the change in dosage but I'm not sure. I don't know if I will adjust and IF I do, how long do I have to endure these side effects? I wish someone would tell me. I'm contemplating giving up. I'd rather feel dull and flat than like this. The positive things this med is supposed to do just aren't happening for me. It's been 12 1/2 weeks, the whole summer. :verysad3:

I'm invited to a birthday party and a picnic this weekend and I don't want to go to either. I just feel like hiding in my house.

Where is everyone else? WE can't be the only ones struggling? Sorry I'm not be very encouraging to you teddy but I'm pretty disappointed myself. It's been a horrible journey. It's like going through labor and there's no baby; no joy that made it worth it.

Apricot, I read not to split and didn't I had a weird clear/good day yesterday. head felt good when I woke up, not foggy or blah, was a decent day. But I tend to have those days whatever pill I"m on or even on no pill. A couple days a month my brain just clicks. No clue why and have never been able to "recreate" it when I want.

Then today.....uggghhh. Felt worse today than I have in the past few weeks. Woke up trying to be positive but my head felt weird from the get go. Have the pounding/swelling feeling, hard to describe..feel foggy and sooooooo sluggish/tired.

This has to be the most frustrating pill ever made. The worst part? This along with all ad's typically have roughly a 60% success rate....so 40% of the people who use them get no benefit. Everyone seems to think oh stick it out, if you hit whatever # of weeks it will pay off. But odds say 40% of us will get nothing but 8-10 wasted weeks of hell for nothing. Sorry, I know I'm being super negative but I'm just beyond frustrated.

Every signal points to this not being for me. One main one I think is that it makes me so ridiculously tired most days. People are starting to notice more, I feel like I can't even fake being happy/feeling normal like before. I don't feel like doing anything anymore, all I want to do is lay down and not think. That's the other thing, the norepenephrine....my anxiety is so bad now. That's the only thing that "works" with this drug is 8 weeks in it gives me terrible anxiety. I would think abt supplementing it with something for anxiety, but dont see the point since wb so far has still given me zero benefit. Why supplement something that doesn't work?

My girlfriend has been very supportive but asked me today if I would stop taking it. She just feels really bad for me and can see I'm feeling like complete garbage every day. Despite all this it's still so hard to stop...bcs fear of the future. I don't know where to turn next, nothing seems to work.

I am curious how Suckip is doing since he was starting to feel better. Also, Suckip and Apricot, did either of you get the wellbutrin "honeymoon" at the start? I didn't and I've heard wives tales that typically if you don't get the honeymoon then the drug doesn't end up working for you. Not sure how true that is, but kind of makes sense to me.

Hi teddy01,

I did get the honeymoon, it might've been placebo or it was actually the honeymoon, not sure. I'm doing better since then, i'm keeping a much more positive mindset when it comes to things but im also aware that i still have problems I need to fix, but I have a clear enough mind to do it. Like i'm really looking forward to my long term goals but then it feels like I still have a while to go before I can even reach them. I wanna think i'm halfway there, but i'm not. I'm slowly getting more energy in the day, laughing more, and I can feel my libido slightly coming back. Only slightly, I have yet to have it actually work, but its nice after it disappearing practically for 2 years straight. I also got a job now so that keeps my mind busy with work and not dwelling on things, but I also feel sorta burnt out lately, between working out and pushing carriages and bagging everyday/every other day, its sorta taking its toll on me, but it also reminds me of the great things yet to come. I'm not looking back at all.

The other day I felt a sort of "natural high", like life was really good and I had nothing to worry about. That went away, and now I feel burnt out, i'd say im satisfied but at the same time I really want that extra "push" to really get things going where I want them too. Socially, creatively and whatnot. It has officially been 6 weeks, and that has been the longest wait of my life, so i'm really sorry you guys are going through it longer than I have because I cant even imagine how hard it must be, waiting even more.