Cymbalta Causing Insomnia?

loopylou74

Hi guys, I started 60mg cymbalta approx 4 weeks ago for depression and anxiety. After I got passed the horrible side effects, I saw my mood start to improve, however my anxiety is still as bad and ever since i've started taking them I have not been able to sleep more than 3/4 hours a night. I'm constantly tired and I got this when I was on Citalopram and had to come off them, but I feel Cymbalta is helping more and want to carry on with them but I can't go on not sleeping.

I got 7.5mg Zopiclone from my docs but they are having no affect at all. It sucks, I just want to feel better.

I have to go back to my pdoc in a week or 2 so do you think I'll get another med added on to help my anxiety/insomnia? My pdoc seems keen to do what I think is best for me so are there any meds or anything I should suggest?

Any help would be super appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - I am so sorry!!!! I myself are in thr middle of first Night after taking first dose (30 mg) - and I cannot sleep - i took half of a sleeping pill 2 hours ago and it is not working. Having invasive thourghts feeling lots of anxiety:-(

Hi there,

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat. Start Cymbalta two and a half weeks ago and haven't been sleeping well at all. I'm seeing my doc on Thurs and will post then if he suggests anything useful. Hang in there :) Clip

So I couldnt fall a sleep last night om ny own (without meds). The night before I had taken 3,75 mg imovane (sleeping pill) and had not slept at all. So finally I took a doubble dose (7,5 mg) and I slept all night. Woke up one time but fell right back into sleep again. I am so so happy. Feel a bit heavy in my head, but at least I sleept. Hope you have found a "cure" also. And hope my "cure" helps as long as I need it.

I'm glad you are happier woman32 :)

I was at my pdoc and GP today, none of them did anything to help. The cymbalta has helped my mood greatly but I am super anxious and I still can't sleep. They dont seem to care and it's really bugging me cos I am constantly tired. I know it would be bad for me but i'm seriously considering taking a wee bit of mirtazapine i have left over so that I can sleep at night. Does anyone have any other suggestions or any good over the counter meds (in uk) that would help me sleep?

Dear loop.

Thank you for your response.

It is allmost bedtime here and I am anxious about weather or not I will be able to sleep - I will proberly need to take imovane again (it is the same as zopiclone). I just hope it will help me again. Not sleeping is the worst :-( I am really sorry your doctors did not hear/understand/accept (?) that you need them to help you. If it was m

I am new to this forum, but have been having the same issue with Cymbalta. Not being able to fall back to sleep or get to sleep. I have been through a few sleeping meds, and now am on Trazadone. Taking 50mg didn't work so I went to 100mg. Was able to finally get some good sleep for 2 nights. But feeling heavy in the head. Went back to 50mg last night and my sleeping was not good. Going to try and go back to 100mg tonight and see. So see if your GP will recommend Trazadone.

Just an update: been on 30 mg Cymbalta for 12 days now - and sleep ok without a sleeping pill. I guess my body just had to get used to the med.

Yay :) well done! I've been on 60mg for about 8 weeks now and i'm nearly there. Only waking up once in the night now, and apart from really weird dreams/nightmares I feel a bit better

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update: been on 30 mg Cymbalta for 12 days now - and sleep ok without a sleeping pill. I guess my body just had to get used to the med.

Yay :) well done! I've been on 60mg for about 8 weeks now and i'm nearly there. Only waking up once in the night now, and apart from really weird dreams/nightmares I feel a bit better

loopylou74 Glad you are feeling better. I have never slept well but that happened before Cymbalta. I used zopiclone but finally quit because I think it was worsening my depression and definitely gave me a rash. Now I take 1500 MG of L Tryptophan before bed and some melatonin. Those 2 drugs seem to be helping some. L Tryptophan is an amino acid but in Canada you need a prescription, Meletonin is over the counter. Another thing I was going to try but haven't yet is Dimenhydrinate (travel sickness pills) No guarantees on those as I have heard mixed reviews. Good luck!

I just started Cymbalta 1.5 weeks ago for my depresion and fibro. I take mine at 5 am, when I wake up, but I have noticed it does give me a boost in energy. Im supposed to take two a day, but am so afraid that if I take a second one in the afternoon I wont sleep. At night, if my anxiety wakes me up.. I am up for the night/morning; so I do take clonopin at bedtime