Sign in to follow this  
mommabuck

Guess It's Official.. Work Is Making Me Sick

Went to the doctor yesterday and was told I have situational depression, caused by chronic stress. Doctor prescribed Celexa and Xanax and suggested counseling to help deal with the stress. I went because I was called into the bosses office to see if I was "ok".

Simple fact I hate my job, but it's one of those jobs you'd be stupid to quit. Earn 14 hours annual leave and 10 sick every month. It's M-F 8-4:30, all holidays off paid, retirement, health insurance paid 100%. Pay isn't fantastic but with the benefits, especially the retirement, since I'm single, it's doable. In November I'll have been there 16 years.

It hasn't ever been a dream job but 5 years ago we got a new boss. Which at first was fantastic, things seemed to be great, but of course as time passes the newness wears off and reality sets in.

Where I work you are hired for a certain position which comes with a certain salary. There are no raises, besides the hopefully annual cost of living raise, no promotions, no working your way up. Although your responsibilities may change, your title doesn't, nor does your pay.

Also it seems that not doing your job is totally acceptable. Doing things half way is ok, passing your job onto someone else is perfectly fine. YOu want to sit and just browse the internet all day, that's great. There's no boss watching you, heck she'll sit down and chit chat with you.

Needless to say my responsibilities have quadrupled over the past 5 years, it's to the point it's impossible to get them all done, on time, accurately. Every day is spent switching from one task to another to try to keep up and get things done and doing all this with constant interruptions. My desk is in the front office, phones ringing, clients coming in, coworkers gathering to chit chat, non stop noise.

I simply can't function anymore, driving me absolutely bonkers. I've talked to the boss repeatedly, told her what is going on, asking for help deaing with coworkers and I get nothing. She says she doesn't understand why it bothers me so much, or better yet. "wouldn't it be easier to just do it yourself".

I spend my entire day p***** off, everything makes me p*****. I can go from perfectly fine to totally irate in nanoseconds. Certain employees simply breathing ticks me off. Too ticked off. Going to get coffee and finding that someone left 1/4 c of coffee in the pan because they were too lazy to make another makes my blood boil.

I know one of these days the thoughts in my head are going to come out of my mouth.

Try not to take it home but the mood seems to come home with me. I have two kids at home, 17 and 19. My 19 yo is high functioning autistic and sometimes dealing with him can be shall we say interesting. Two older kids out of the house but not quite settled and stable so sometimes things come up. Sometimes I come home and all I can do is just veg.. sit and veg.. not able to deal with one more thing.

Boss suggested vacation but I just got back to work after a weeks vacation. Just makes me hate my job even more.

I can totally relate to this situation. My job has developed into these same issues where you have like 2 people doing all the work while 4 do nothing at all yet they get paid. When I first started my job it was just so many duties and today it has branched off into double of the duties than when I first started. It is very frustrating to watch others do nothing when you have to do everything.

I'm not sure how to fix your situation since I'm trying to figure out how to deal with mine without finding a new job. On top of everything else my salary type changed this week where I get no possibility of overtime pay, so in a way I actually got a reduction of pay with same duties that need to get done. It's so nuts I'm still trying to grasp how this even happened to me. Anyway, good luck and I hope you find a solution. I too get very angry with others easily now.

Chiming in with a "me too." I think this is the state of the job market today, sadly. Our bosses treat us however they want because they know they have hundreds of people who need jobs waiting to be hired -- they've even threatened us with that fact more than once. I recently got a bunch of new responsibilities to do, also with no title or pay raise. Some of us work hard and get nowhere, others are lazy and play around but because they are the bosses favorites, that's okay. Especially if they're willing to tell on their co-workers (even if they lie!), that is valued the most where I work. We have one guy who lies about everyone, saying we don't do any work, and all the supervisors believe him/take his side, even though the whole building has complained about how he treats us. Well, that's just a sample of how bad my job is. Few employees like it, but we all need to keep our jobs.

My job has definitely damanged my emotional and physical health. My anxiety went through the roof, and like the OP I could fly off the handle at a moments' notice over something small. I've been worried about keeping my job, because it was harder and harder to keep my emotions in check. Luckily my pdoc put me on Paxil, and that has really taken my anxiety down. I'm not so angry about everything anymore. I also have benzos for when I need them as well, I make sure to have at work with me in case a situation comes up that sends me off.

I guess we need to try and focus on the positives. The pay here is more than I've ever made in my life (although the hours are horrible), so I no longer have the constant worry of ending up homeless. Medical benefits are pretty good, they also have some cool perks like reduced gym memberships. As long as I keep taking my drugs to cope with the place I should be fine. :glare:

I hated my job too and now that I'm laid off, I'm actually happier. I can say that only because I got a wonderful severance. The bad thing is this can't last forever. Soon I will have to get out there and pound the pavement for another life-sucking soulless job. I also have a daughter (18) with autism and a mood disorder and this often feels like a full time job helping her out. That kind of stress is always there in the background and it sounds like you have that too. So, what would happen if you just started slacing off a bit like those others do in the office? Could you live with that?

I hated my job too and now that I'm laid off, I'm actually happier. I can say that only because I got a wonderful severance. The bad thing is this can't last forever. Soon I will have to get out there and pound the pavement for another life-sucking soulless job. I also have a daughter (18) with autism and a mood disorder and this often feels like a full time job helping her out. That kind of stress is always there in the background and it sounds like you have that too. So, what would happen if you just started slacing off a bit like those others do in the office? Could you live with that?

That is my problem.. I can't slack off. I am there to do a job and I will do it and do it well. I can't be like them. That is the entire problem.

Work is my trigger as well and I feel guilty chiming in because my problem is my job is the opposite. You're working hard and I'm not working at all. My job is totally uninteresting to me, something I took because I was unemployed and needed something, but while simple (I'm an assistant after being laid off of a previous job where I was a manager) I'm still screwing it up and then I freak out over screwing it up because I cannot bear being a failure. I have no interest but feel anxiety when others are working hard and I have nothing to contribute. I have no interest and feel incredible heart-pounding anxiety when I have nothing at all to do. I'm a mess. I can't even enjoy weekends, because I'm counting down the seconds until I'm back there, bored, worried about screwing up. Even sleep, which was a refuge is a fear because it means the next time you open your eyes you have to go back to work.

Work is my trigger as well and I feel guilty chiming in because my problem is my job is the opposite. You're working hard and I'm not working at all. My job is totally uninteresting to me, something I took because I was unemployed and needed something, but while simple (I'm an assistant after being laid off of a previous job where I was a manager) I'm still screwing it up and then I freak out over screwing it up because I cannot bear being a failure. I have no interest but feel anxiety when others are working hard and I have nothing to contribute. I have no interest and feel incredible heart-pounding anxiety when I have nothing at all to do. I'm a mess. I can't even enjoy weekends, because I'm counting down the seconds until I'm back there, bored, worried about screwing up. Even sleep, which was a refuge is a fear because it means the next time you open your eyes you have to go back to work.

Arthur, my job was uninteresting. Many of the things I do are mind numbing boring, requiring no thought, no imagination, nothing. So, in order to bear it at first, I made it challenging, found new ways to do things, all gung ho on things to do to help others... oh you're busy and can't get this done.. oh please let me help. I love making forms, doing spreadsheets, taking something old and making it new. I can draw so I was making bulletin boards, posters, etc. Got my hands in on the things I love to do.

I did it to myself, now I'm expected to do all those things, they are instantly given to me to do. I dont do anything for myself anymore, it's all for someone else, and now with deadines. I have been given jobs that are actually the jobs of other coworkers, but now they are mine to do. No appreciation, I"m expected to do them and if I don't it hits the fan. So I"m now responsible for jobs that others with much higher pay were responsible for.

I'm not scared of computers so any computer issues are my responsibility. They have me do it to save money because the computer guy is 65 an hour.

My job is actually immunizations, everything but the actual poke. I order and my job is to keep track of the vaccine from the monent it's in the building to the time it's injected. I do all the paperwork, forms, reporting, scheduling, notifying, etc. That is what I was hired for, but I now also do WIC, are the vital records registrar, make all our brochures, business cards, handle the business inventory, calendar, do our business website and social media, take care of computer issues, handle mass texting, do the monthly reporting to our board, make all the forms for our office, etc etc. Every day it seems someone wants something and I simply can't. Try to work with constant interruptions, I have reports due but oh it's a WIC day so that has to wait, or if I can stay at my desk it's non stop phone calls, clients at the window, kids crying, on and on.

I'm like you I hate weekends because all i can think about it having to go back to work. Every day it's a mental argument with myself, go.. no call in.. no you have to go.. force myself to the car. Friday evening seems to be the only good day. Knowing I don't have to go in to work the next day. But come Saturday morning, the dread sets in. I stay up too late every night because I know if I go to sleep, when I wake up I'll have to go to work.. so of course Im tired all the time.

Just really really sucks.. just can't deal any more. I actually saw in my mind, myself take down a coworker. Across the room, tackled her and took her down...lol She's a big woman but I found myself thinking.. I can take her.. lol Funny now, but scared me then..

Friday evening seems to be the only good day. Knowing I don't have to go in to work the next day. But come Saturday morning, the dread sets in. I stay up too late every night because I know if I go to sleep, when I wake up I'll have to go to work.. so of course Im tired all the time.

Exactly. It's a horrible way to live. Normally, I'd be napping on a Sunday afternoon, but then that's more time that will disappear and bring me one step closer back to work.