Sign in to follow this  
bluegarden

Your Episodes Evolve Gradually Or With Sudden Intesity?

How much it takes for you to get from early symptoms to full blown depressive episode?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. (Usually)

• It takes weeks
    • It takes months
    • It takes less than a week/ I am good at distinguishing normal blue mood from a depressive episode

What about see how much time it takes usually for depression to build up into a clinical depressive episode?

In the comments you can add if you usually recognize symptoms of depression or you don't until you are in the middle of severe depression.

Multiple choices allowed if you had both sudden episodes and gradual/building up ones in several weeks or months

Edited by bluegarden

In my case is gradual, but I tend to notice it. It takes weeks, but then in my case I don´t get to feel normal- whaterever that feels like.

I'm not actually sure how to answer this. Technically I've been diagnosed with depression, but I think I have dysthymia (chronic low-mid grade depression)... So I just would always feel down. All the time. I can pick done of my lowest moments, which were probably full blown clinical episodes, but only after looking back on it, since I'd feel down no matter what.

Usually short onset with severe intensity. Sometimes I come out of it just as suddenly, sometimes it lifts enough to function but lingers and makes life miserable for several weeks. This is what I am currently experiencing. For me, a depressive episode is clearly distinguishable from a regular blue mood. It is not just a more extreme blue mood, it is a different beast altogether.

Usually short onset with severe intensity. Sometimes I come out of it just as suddenly, sometimes it lifts enough to function but lingers and makes life miserable for several weeks. This is what I am currently experiencing. For me, a depressive episode is clearly distinguishable from a regular blue mood. It is not just a more extreme blue mood, it is a different beast altogether.

Hi acerz, it would be interesting to talk about how we distinguish extreme low mood from a depressive episode. Going to add it to the poll

I think I have both or I am still just in a severe depressive episode. I noticed all the signs building up to my breakdown for months but didn't do anything . Since I had my breakdown I go into a severe episode within a couple days to a couple hours . My moods change very rapidly and are constantly up and down through out the day . I thought it was bipolar due to the rapid changes in mood but my psych says its depression. I have untreated sleep apnoea so that's more than likely contributing to my unstableness

I forgot to mention I am in the middle of a severe episode I think or just the same one that's lasted 11 months ........

For me it can be days and most times I can feel it coming. There are times though when it seems like a truck hit me with my depression so it was very fast.

I have quite rapid changes in mood, but the depressive states last much longer than the non-depressive states. I can become depressed / sad very rapidly, but transition to normal-ish mood takes much longer.

I'm quoting InFlames in this. My mood is like a roller coaster, it goes constantly up and down, the day before I can be totally alright and then the day after I can have a major breakdown, but of course, it takes much longer to stand up and feel better again than to relapse. I guess the reason is that major depressive episodes leave me so utterly scared that I keep thinking: "I'm falling again", and that does no good, obviously.

For me, it is like a light switch being turned off. I feel the depression physically, a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach like a premonition that something terrible is about to happen and a heaviness on my chest. That is the difference to a bad day with low mood. This feeling of depression can come suddenly, taking only hours to build up, and makes me feel totally worthless, hopeless, and suicidal for a few hours or a few days. Then the suicidal thoughts are gone all of a sudden and I feel hopeful again. Then again a minor stressful event happens and I spiral down once more. My moods are unpredictable and I can't really tell if my meds are working at all.

But I don't remember when I actually ever felt "normal", whatever that means. From adolescence onwards I have been suffering from dysthymia. Most of the time, I was able to pull myself together enough to function. But I had a severe mental breakdown last year, and still I cannot function normally again.

Even when I don't actually feel depressed, I still don't have much motivation to do things, I tire easily, and I cannot concentrate. I generally don't have much appetite or will to live. And I'm not good at managing my every day life, personal hygiene, etc. I wonder if this is still part of the depression?

MartyrGirl, it definitely is. What you described are all symptoms of depression. I'm also having the same issue actually, can't tell at all if meds are working or not. Kind of stressing :S

I'm not sure what you're trying to discuss - how long it took us to HAVE clinical depression, or how long it takes within out episodes of our worse feelings of depression?

Before I knew what was wrong, I had sever issues of bodily pains all over like bugs were eating my skin. I also had stomach troubles too (between my later found out allergy -.-; ) AND my hair got grey during the stress of school/work/mom and lack of sleep. Now when I have a trigger they last maybe..2 or three days. They certainly do not last as long as they used to. Depending on what gets me upset, it's either a gradual onset of hours or just instantly. The same is true for feeling better. The last episode I had lasted for 2 days and some hours. Then, I discussed the issues with my therapist and my boyfriend and I started feeling better by the weekend. Now it's a new week :) - which both sucks and is good..it means another possible depressive outbreak, or I might have a good week! We'll see.

I'm a bit like this too. When a depressive episode hits it just seems to happen suddenly. I've noticed that all my episodes started at night around 12-3am. It starts with a panic attack then I just sinking feeling in my stomach. The worst part is usually over in a week or 2 but it took me a few months to really start feeling "normal."